inTank Media Baskets

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im left speechless by your handiness and attention to detail. Its definitely something to aspire to. Some how "amazing job" still doesnt capture what youve done here.....incredible.

Squared - Thanks for the compliment - The tank holds 112g empty and is 48x30x18. I have 40g sump on the tank as well. With 100lbs of live rock, I have right a 100g total for the system. I'm pleased with the size of the tank however if money and available room were not an issue, I would go with something that was at least 48 from front to back.

nice dimensions-makes your tank look a whole lot bigger

WOW!!! this is a very nice and tidy looking tank. I really like the equipment board.

land_lubber - Thanks for the view and comment. The equipment board is great, with the tank more than 8 months old, it's still something I'm very proud of. Not just how clean it is but how functional it is as well.

Oh, ok, cool, it is the NWB 110 right? Thats what it looked like.

Mini-Dude - It's a Reef Octopus NWB 150, I just paid for my Bubble King last night, finally found one used after several attempts. Someone actually contacted me from WTB add over on RC. I love the forums, so handy. I should have the new skimmer on Thursday or Friday.

Im left speechless by your handiness and attention to detail. Its definitely something to aspire to. Some how "amazing job" still doesnt capture what youve done here.....incredible.

Rehype - Thanks, thanks and thanks! I appreciate it. I'm very fond of the work you've done with your tank. I love your aqua scape.

Defiantly the "next level".

Keeping this for reference on future builds.

Mojorizn' - Next Level! I love it. Thanks so much. If you have any questions during your next build, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

:wub:

metrokat - Thank You.

nice dimensions-makes your tank look a whole lot bigger

Squared - I agree, I think the closer in size the tank is from front to back compared to side to side, it makes the tank appear to be larger. It also really opens up your options for aqua scaping.

This thread is AWSOME. I hope you don't mind but I am stealing some of your ideas for my current build.

Power center is the main thing I am stealing.

This thread is AWSOME. I hope you don't mind but I am stealing some of your ideas for my current build.

Power center is the main thing I am stealing.

jbb_00 - That is what makes these forums so great. Please steal with pride. Make sure to return the favor and post the projects and work you do so others can also learn and apply.

Cool beans dude! Those are expensive skimmers to buy new!

Mini-Dude - Bubble Kings are pricey, but I've yet to find an owner that was not satisfied with it. Everything I've read said they are worth the extra money. The biggest benefit I'm looking forward to is setting and forgetting about the skimmer. Mine needs fine adjustments based on how clean the skimmer is. Of course the extra performance will be great as well.

Man what an amazing tank!

This is just perfect!

Lots to learn from here for my next tank.

-John

johnyens - Thanks for the view and comments. I hope that my tank maintenance schedule is something that you are able to use. If you find ways to improve it please share with me so I can adopt as well. If you have questions on the schedule or how I use it don't hesitate to ask.

Holy crap!!! That's about all I can say at the moment...

Bonk - Holy Crap works for me. Thanks for the view and comments.

Simply Amazing...so clean.

LouDog3 - Thank You.

Top notch organization! I'm glad that I am not the only one who runs spreads sheets lol I thought maybe I was just a lil OCD...... Great thread and very nice build, thanks for sharing.

Hey Urbaneks, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the quality of the cadlights tank. Good craftmanship? How are the seems? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger but I've heard some say the craftmanship is not always top notch. Not sure if there is truth to that or not...

Thanks!

Dave

Wow. Obviously one of the better builds I hace ever seen. Like you, I struggled between MH and LEDs. In the end I love my LEDs for the reason I bought them and miss the halide for the reasons I would have... When I read about the ATO in sump I thought about how much I top off now with the completely open top and I was thinking, 'that will probably last 4 day's' lol. Do the balasts add much heat to the cabinet, or no? I'm doing the same hardware upgrades to my stand after I clean up the wiring a bit! Anyway, thanks for sharing this cause it's awesome!

Subscribed! Badass bro!

d'Espresso - Thanks for subscribing along with your view and comment.

Top notch organization! I'm glad that I am not the only one who runs spreads sheets lol I thought maybe I was just a lil OCD...... Great thread and very nice build, thanks for sharing.

floppybass - Thanks for your view and kind words. I've had a few people asking questions about the maintenance schedule via excel so I will be putting an update together shortly to describe a bit more about how I use the spreadsheet. When it comes to reefing, you can't be too OCD. The devil is in the details.

Awesome tank, awesome photos. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

rbaby - Thanks so much!

Hey Urbaneks, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the quality of the cadlights tank. Good craftmanship? How are the seems? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger but I've heard some say the craftmanship is not always top notch. Not sure if there is truth to that or not...

Thanks!

Dave

oncorhynchus - I believe that Cad Lights is a good value with a moderate build quality. I would say that a top notch build would be an ELOS but at $4K it should be top notch. I would say low end would be Gl@ss C@ges whose prices are about the same as Cad Lights. I would put Cad Lights in the middle. A couple of the seams on my tank don't look perfect but I'm really the only person who dwells on that. The first time Cad Lights shipped my tank it showed up shattered. It really looked like the freight company drove a fork lift through it so I don't put that on Cad Lights. Cad did a good job of replacing the tank although it took longer than what was communicated. In the end, I would order another tank from them so I think that is the real answer.

Wow. Obviously one of the better builds I hace ever seen. Like you, I struggled between MH and LEDs. In the end I love my LEDs for the reason I bought them and miss the halide for the reasons I would have... When I read about the ATO in sump I thought about how much I top off now with the completely open top and I was thinking, 'that will probably last 4 day's' lol. Do the balasts add much heat to the cabinet, or no? I'm doing the same hardware upgrades to my stand after I clean up the wiring a bit! Anyway, thanks for sharing this cause it's awesome!

pschom - Thanks for your kind words on the tank. At this point in time, I'm very happy with the light. The one thing I think I would like about LEDs is being able to change the color temperature, create moon lights, etc. etc. My biggest fear on the MH's was heat and they are not like most described. I run a ceiling fan that comes on and goes off at the same times as my MH's. With the open top, my heater ends up coming on during my MH light cycle. As for heat under the stand, when the MHs are running there is some heat under the stand but I would not classify it as excessive. I originally bought and ran a small fan under the stand but quickly got rid of it since the ceiling fan was all I needed.

saltwatercoral

OMG!!! I just finished going through this thread and :o !!! I cant believe how much detail you have put into this. I am just now getting my 120g tank (AKA $ PIT) up and running! I am taking so many of your ideas for my cable management. This is one thing I cant stand is to have a jacked up cable mess. I am thanking you in advance!!! Thanks urbaneks! Your tank is stellar!!!

The Fish of Viewpoints

Up to this point, I've focused mainly on the tank build and highlighted a few of corals that are in the tank. I wanted to use some information I recently read about photographing fish to see if I could capture some decent shots.

The advice given was to have a shutter speed of at least 200 so you can stop the action of the fish. This did work out pretty well for me however, in order to shoot at the faster shutter speed, I had to set the ISO higher which caused the pictures to be grainy. The first 3 shots weren't too bad but the other ones could not support a larger format which is why the pictures are smaller. These pictures were taken with both banks of T5's on but no MH's. The next time I shoot fish pictures, I'll include the MHs to see if I can get the ISO back down to 100 or 200.

BigBlue.jpg

Blue Tang - Also known simply as Big Blue. This fish has to be a teenager because he sleeps in every day. All the other fish wake up long before the lights come on but not the Blue Tang. Big Blue is definitely the boss of the tank.

Wrasse.jpg

Melanurus Wrasse - This fish is relatively new to my tank but has grown a lot in the short time that I've had him. I initially took a liking to this species after seeing one in a large display tank at my LFS. I read a great deal about these fish and hesitated to get one based on reports of them eating hermits and snails. I have seen a few empty snail shells since he went in but have never seen him go after one. For what these add in terms of pest removal, color and action they are a great fish.

Watchman.jpg

Yellow Watchman Goby - This guy is paired with a Pistol Shrimp and as I mentioned one other time in the journal, these two are a couple of my favorite inhabitants. A lot of people shy away from Pistol Shrimps because they can rearrange the tank. I've been lucky in that they setup under one rock, right in front of the tank and other than keeping their tunnels clear they don't move much gravel around. The two are always working and they provide so much entertainment. This is pretty much the standard pose for the Watchman. Always on guard.

Anthias.jpg

Bartlett's Anthias - My last fish additions were a pair of Bartlett's Anthias. Unfortunately, I lost one of them shortly after adding them to the tank. A bit of a mystery at this point as the fish seemed healthy but just disappeared. Checked the overflow box, sump and floor but no evidence of the fish. These are beautiful fish and I hope to add a couple more at some point. This one is the female of the pair that I bought.

Mandarin2.jpg

Red Mandarin Dragonette - My favorite! This guys has been with me for more than 3 months now. I bought him nice and fat and he is still nice and fat. With 100lbs of live rock, he seems to have more than enough food source. Any time I feed Nutramar or Oyster Eggs he comes to the front of the tank. While he does not pick food from the water column, I do believe he's eating the frozen from the rocks.

LeMark.jpg

LeMark Angels - I love Angel Fish and wish that I could fill my tank with them. I used to keep a Flameback in my Nano who was well behaved for almost a year before decided he loved to eat Acans. When I started up this tank, I did lots of research and found that these LeMark's are reef safe. While not as pretty as most angels, these guys are still great little fish. Always out swimming and picking from the rocks. I have two of these guys, both females.

I love the lemarks angelfish and am thinking of getting one for my new tank once its up and running. Like you said although they aren't as pretty there is something about them that attracts me to them B)

OMG!!! I just finished going through this thread and :o !!! I cant believe how much detail you have put into this. I am just now getting my 120g tank (AKA $ PIT) up and running! I am taking so many of your ideas for my cable management. This is one thing I cant stand is to have a jacked up cable mess. I am thanking you in advance!!! Thanks urbaneks! Your tank is stellar!!!

saltwatercoral - Thanks for visting the journal and taking time to leave a comment. I'm glad that you have gotten some potential improvments for your current build. You are welcome in advance for the cable managment idea. If you have questions along the way, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

That LeMark angel is :wub:

iball1804 - The LeMarks are sweet, especially when the are small. I started out with a trio but lost one, it was not right from the time it went in the tank and only lasted about 4 days. The pair I have left have been with me for 6 months now and are doing great.

Amazing build and attention to detail.

MTWiley - Thank you for the view and comments.

I love the lemarks angelfish and am thinking of getting one for my new tank once its up and running. Like you said although they aren't as pretty there is something about them that attracts me to them B)

land_lubber - I definately recommend them, they are very good fish. No much downside to them at all other than the coloration. But as you state there is just something about them. I knew when I first saw them at the LFS that I had to have the trio. The guys at the LFS were sad to see them go.

Archived