Coral Vue Hydros

Nuvo or Not to Nuvo? Newb here

Admonition

I'm brand new to saltwater, with experience in freshwater, and I'm looking to get started with my first saltwater tank :) I've made a post a few months ago about my plans, with some great input from people here, so I thought I would ask for your help again.

While I was dead set on getting a BC 14, I walked into my LFS and ran into a Nuvo 16 from Innovative Marine. I fell in love with the look and simple design so much I have all but cast aside my intensions of a BC 14. My issue is, with what little experience I have in saltwater (not to mention the relatively new status of this tank in general), I need ya'lls help. I have looked up a number of posts on this forum from people running this tank with what seems like little to no serious complaints (aside from silicon issues from some of the earliest tanks back in September of last year). That being said, does anyone who is currently running a Nuvo 16 have any complaints about the product? Am I just as well off getting this tank as I would be with a BC 14?

Thank you for all your help! And even if you don't have one, if you know or have heard of problems with this tank, I would love your input as well :D

Other than the silicone issues, I haven't heard anything bad about them.

What have you heard about the silicone? We have a nuvo set up at the lfs i work at and we have had no issues with the silicone.

The original batch of Nuvo's had a silicone malfunction where the AIO section would literally come off the back of the glass.

Many people on NR jumped on the first Nuvo's and experienced this problem. I know sanchez did at least.

I'm in the exact same predicament as you Admonition, but with the JBJ28 and Nuvo 30

I keep going back and forth, mainly on price.

Not sure if there's a large difference in price difference between the BC 14 and Nuvo 16, but it's about $300 between my choice.

Like you said, I love the design as well... But I just can't pull the trigger on spending that much more for design essentially.

You're right, there's not hardly anything bad written about Nuvo aside from the original Silicone issue. But, there's really not a ton of threads or reviews on the product since it's newer.

Anyone with a Nuvo, share your thoughts or experience please, I'm sure it'd help a lot of potential buyers.

Ok i almost bought one heres the deal wait for the new 20k light. For the money u can setup a way bigger tank when i walked to the lfs i was looking at nuvo then walked around the coner and saw a used 90 gallon for the same price as the nuvo 16 and if you go nuvo get the 38 with 20k light

Felt with Nuevo. Crap. I'd get the jbj coming out in 2-3 weeks. Just take this time to research a,d research. Also save money for equipment. I already saving for the 30g :)

Not sure if there's a large difference in price difference between the BC 14 and Nuvo 16, but it's about $300 between my choice.

You're right, there's not hardly anything bad written about Nuvo aside from the original Silicone issue. But, there's really not a ton of threads or reviews on the product since it's newer.

The price difference between my two options is $100. That being said, I can't find a BC 14 -anywhere- all of a sudden. I spoke to a friend who apparently advised me that they have stopped production because they are coming out with a new BC within the next few months. Therefore, my dilemma is simply do I jump on the Nuvo whose design I love and which fits my space perfectly, or do I wait another few months (hopefully) to see what the new BC looks like? Atm I'm leaning toward the Nuvo. And you're right, there is hardly any bad reviews, but that also may be because the product is simply so new.

Ok i almost bought one heres the deal wait for the new 20k light. For the money u can setup a way bigger tank when i walked to the lfs i was looking at nuvo then walked around the coner and saw a used 90 gallon for the same price as the nuvo 16 and if you go nuvo get the 38 with 20k light

I'm not sure I read your post correctly, but it sounds like you're saying they'll be coming out with a 20k version? As far as getting a bigger tank, I don't doubt I could for the price. However, I want to stick with an all-in-one tank for simplicity's sake while I learn. I also want a smaller sized tank for that exact same reason, as well as the simple fact that I am limited on space. The BC 14 was the largest tank I could fit of the 'cubes', and the Nuvo 16 is the absolute largest I can fit given its dimensions. My 150gal cichlid tank doesn't leave me much room for anything larger ;)

Felt with Nuevo. Crap. I'd get the jbj coming out in 2-3 weeks. Just take this time to research a,d research. Also save money for equipment. I already saving for the 30g :)

You say you've dealt with the Nuvo and it is crap. Can you elaborate on what about the product gave you that poor impression of it? I'd be interested to hear it :) As far as the new JBJs, they looking interesting; however, with only those three sizes (5, 8, 30), I'm afraid none of them fit my needs. Eight is too small, and thirty is too large.

Like you Rmbxr9, I'm on the fence about jumping in on a new company's new tank -and- spending more for it. The $100 difference in price between what I wanted (BC 14) and the Nuvo isn't too distracting, because my gf is putting up almost all the money as my anniversary gift. But of course, I don't want to waste money on a poor product. The design of the Nuvo has me sold aesthetically for sure, but functionality is naturally important. I even asked my LFS who has both the 8gal and the 30gal up and running for the last 2 months if they've run into any problems, and they don't have a single complaint other than removing the glass top on the 30gal because of heat issues.

I got a Nuvo 16 for Christmas and I gotta say that it's a pretty neat aquarium. As far as quality goes, the one I have has been excellent.

I also have a BC14 and have had a lot of fun learning the saltwater hobby. It's pretty versatile and easily modifiable for things like a media basket and so on. I'm excited about the Nuvo 16 because it gives me a little more room at virtually the same footprint and mine came with the 14K LEDs. No more dealing with power compact bulbs, ballasts, fans.

I just setup a nuvo 16 and would only have good things to say about it. No issues with silicone, and the tank is very well constructed. In fact, cosmetically, it is one of the only tanks my wife has found visually appealing.

I'm going to setup a build thread shortly to share pics, but just wanted to quickly add my experience to this thread. Innovative marine makes a great tank!

I just recently picked up a Nuvo 16 and it seems perfectly fine. Haven't started building my tank yet so no long term experience with it, but the wet test of everything was great. I love the look, more importantly so does my wife (a common, but important theme it seems).

The original batch of Nuvo's had a silicone malfunction where the AIO section would literally come off the back of the glass.

Many people on NR jumped on the first Nuvo's and experienced this problem. I know sanchez did at least.

Me too :)

• 1 month later...
derek121760
I'm in the exact same predicament as you Admonition, but with the JBJ28 and Nuvo 30

I keep going back and forth, mainly on price.

Like you said, I love the design as well... But I just can't pull the trigger on spending that much more for design essentially.

Anyone with a Nuvo, share your thoughts or experience please, I'm sure it'd help a lot of potential buyers.

I set one up in January. I added a 3rd light and set up an ATO. I've got a rose anemone, 2 percula clowns and several corals. It looks Awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a Nuvo 16 in white last week from Marine Depot. Still cycling. My friend emailed me a link to MD facebook and IM is having a contest for the best nuvo aquarium set up. I want that Ipad. Got to make my tank look awesome. Three more weeks then I will start adding my livestock. Cant wait..

Here is a link from Marine Depots Facebook site for the giveaway

http://ow.ly/aduRT

http://www.facebook.com/marinedepot

justclownin'

Just adding another review for the Innovative Marine products. We bought the Innovative Marine 8g; and have already upgraded to the IM 38g. Awesome tank. We love the design, and the AIO components. The stands are complete junk, so we returned and bought a custom wood stand from our LFS. These new tanks haven't been around very long, so no long term reviews on pump life, etc. We had a problem with a very noisy fan in our tablet LED, but the owner of IM is sending us a new fan to install. Hopefully it will be much quieter- we'll know next week. Great customer service. I should start a thread now that we have our livestock!

I would love to see some pictures of your IM38 and what you've done with it. Are the lights strong enough to grow coral? Just curious.

Can anyone tell me where to get the best prices on these tanks at? I am new (well just got back in the hobby after a 3 year absence) and do not know all of the reputable online dealers off hand.

I love the Nuvo 16, really like the IM38 as well but it may be a tad out of the price range.

I am trying to get back into the game and trying to find the best aoi tank possible (aside from Elos, price is unbearable).

I got the nuvo, no silicone problems but it is a bit sloppy in the back areas where you cant see. With the Nuvo the cost is really in the LED lights it comes with. Since the op is new to salt, it would make a great light for softies. If you plan on upgrading the lighting then I would maybe go with the larger models but get the tank only. To me the IM LEDs are already outdated technology(CW/RB LEDs, no dimming, not modular..). I ended up going DIY with the lights, so Ill have some extra 8w 14k lights for sale.

With that being said, for a "plug n play" beginner tank the Nuvo 16 is a great value and beats the biocube anyday.

justclownin'
I would love to see some pictures of your IM38 and what you've done with it. Are the lights strong enough to grow coral? Just curious.

I have some new pics of our IM 38g AIO and would love to share, but I'm new to posting and don't want to hijack a thread...:( Can anyone advise on how to either link to a new thread I can start, or should I just post pics here? Thanks in advance for friendly feedback!

I dont have the 38 but I do have the 30 and also the 8. I really like them allot and the lights seem to be enough so far. I have LPS and SPS.

post-72149-1334721334.jpg

Archived