Innovative Marine Aquariums

My experience changing the live rock in my existing tank

joshnanoreef

The almost-live dry rock after 5 weeks:DSCF1592.jpg

I moved my tank to the floor while I repaint the iron stand and prepare the empty 10 gallon! I will eventually make a scape with the new live rock and move my corals to the new tank.

DSCF1591.jpg

DSCF1590.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
joshnanoreef

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've taken such a long time. Planning the big switch has taken a while. I bought a second 10 gallon and painted the back as well as my iron stand. I'm planning to make the new tank a bare-bottom. The sand bed is causing algae issues because it's clogged full of detritus. I painted the bottom the same color as the back. Here are some pics:

My old tank currently on the floor:

DSCF1620.jpg

The new scape made with cultured dry rock (sorry for the bad pic.). I transfered the clownfish to maintain a source of ammonia.

DSCF1619.jpg

DSCF1618.jpg

I'm selling the old live rock on Monday for $60. Some of that money will go to a 20k Ushio to replace the 14k.

joshnanoreef

The transition is finally complete!!! Here are the pics. Let me know what you think. It's been a few days, and the clownfish and corals are looking good.

DSCF1623.jpg

DSCF1622.jpg

DSCF1621.jpg

• 2 months later...

How much ammonia were u pouring into the tub while cycling? How is it doing now? I read on another thread that u had it up to 15ppm at one point! Lol

Archived