Pod Your Reef

Xenon's Fluval Edge 6G build thread with pics

xenon

I got my AI Nano LED light today from Premium Aquatics. Now I need to figure out how to mount it under the stock good without it falling into the tank. :)

Is that really a 300$ light?

I got an old 6 gallon Edge I want to convert into a small SW tank with coral. For 300 bucks I could get a real SW tank.

Tank plus light nearly 500$. Cost of a 29 gallon Nano Cube.

Yep. $300 for the light and another $80 for the controller.

The low cost of the Fluval Edge tank was not the reason why I started this build. I wanted a modern looking nano tank and the 29g biocube is too large for my kitchen and not very modern in my opinion.

Besides, the tank is always the cheapest part. The lighting a flow will certainly always surpass the cost of the tank itself. I also paid $300 for my Vortech powerhead.

I love that its only 6 gallons. That means I can keep things ultra simple. No sump, no skimmer, no dosing pump, no phosphate reactors, etc..

I plan to do 50% water changes weekly. That's only 10 gallons of water per month. That's a cheap way to maintain good water quality and still have the ability to overfeed.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did you purchase your Fluval Edge 42 LED light bar?

I bought a version1 6g and version2 12gallong tank and swapped the light fixtures.

Then I sold the 12g with the light that originally was included with the 6g.

It was all for nothing thou because the 42 LED's are not very powerful.

Where did you purchase your Fluval Edge 42 LED light bar?

I think it's standard on the new Fluval edge 6 gallons, btw. So no double tank flip flop necessary anymore :lol:

Very nice mounting system. Keeps the super cleans line of the system. Keep up the awesome work! Cant wait to see this with critters in it!

I'm watching this thread carefully! I am redoing my edge into a reef and am probably going in the same direction with the AI Nano and controller. Did you need to buy one of the controller cables separately or did one come in the box for you?

Looking forward to see if this fixture is enough and if it can cower the corners of the tanks floor.

The angle of the canopy and the floor is difficult to work with.

Hopefully you will post some pictures of the tank!!

Great tread by the way!

Xenon, when you mentioned the price of the fixture, you wrote 300$ for the AI Nano and 80$ for the controller.

What is the controller? and can you post a link to it?

Thank you.

I think it's standard on the new Fluval edge 6 gallons, btw. So no double tank flip flop necessary anymore :lol:

The version2 12gallon has a different lighting fixture than the version2 6gallon. It has 2x the amount of LED's.

Kickass tank, are you using anything as a splash guard?

No splash guard required because I am no longer using the AC20 HOB filter. The vortech powerhead does not create any salt creep.

I'm watching this thread carefully! I am redoing my edge into a reef and am probably going in the same direction with the AI Nano and controller. Did you need to buy one of the controller cables separately or did one come in the box for you?

The data cable is included in the box with the light fixture.

Xenon, when you mentioned the price of the fixture, you wrote 300$ for the AI Nano and 80$ for the controller.

What is the controller? and can you post a link to it?

http://www.aquaillumination.com/accessories/controller.html

Is the controller only available trough aqua illumination? They do not ship to Denmark.

So if anybody here is willing to buy the Nano fixture + controller and send it to Denmark, I will pay you through Paypal.

this way the cost for shipping will be lower AND I will get my fixture :)

Is the controller only available trough aqua illumination? They do not ship to Denmark.

So if anybody here is willing to buy the Nano fixture + controller and send it to Denmark, I will pay you through Paypal.

this way the cost for shipping will be lower AND I will get my fixture :)

I dont think you can buy direct from AI.

There are plenty of AI retailers that sell the controller but most of them are currently out of stock.

The nano light is also hard to come by.

Xenon, will you add some pictures of the AI Nano in action. I am about to buy it, but would really like to see how it covers the floor. So please upload a picture ;)

You mentined something about a reflector to coves the sides. Have you found a solution?

Hey Xenon,

any chance of seeing the light in action on the edge?

Im thinking of using the ai nano on the fluval edge 46L and would love to see how thw light looks

I will get some pics up in the next few days.

My tank completed its cycle today so I added a cleanup crew (1 astrea snail and scarlette hermit crab).

I will be adding in my fish this weekend and I will take a pic of the tank its in its current FOWLR state.

I am trying to take pics but none of them are turning out.

I have a DSLR set on TV (time value) so that I can adjust the shutter speed to 1/1500. That way, not too much light gets into the lens and blows out the pic. I also put a piece of white cutting board inside the tank with the light on and took a pic of the white board and set a custom white balance. No matter what settings I try, it just does not end up looking anything like it does in person.

My god damn iPhone4S takes a better pic.

Sorry guys. If any of you can help with my settings, I would love to give it another try.

Haha whatever dude just leave it on auto and push the button! Nobody really cares if the colours are a bit off :)

It's not just the color but the light spreads MUCH better than what you see in the pic.

This was the best I can do.

33.JPG

If anyone has tips on what settings I should play with on my DSLR cam for taking pics, that would be great. I am not liking LED for photography at all.

I like it. The heater looks a little out of place, but there isnt much you can do about that. Nice scape though. Got a stock list yet?

Yeah, nothing I can do about the heater.

This is my stock list so far.

True Perc

Helfrichi Firefish

Fire Shrimp

Scarlet Hermit Crab

Astrea Snail

I have a blue spotted jawfish on the way.

If anyone has tips on what settings I should play with on my DSLR cam for taking pics, that would be great. I am not liking LED for photography at all.

I think it's going to be hard because of the design of the EDGE even on the December TOTM you can see dark pockets on the FTS's. What about adding some kind of reflector to either side of the light (on top of the tank)!? Not a permanent thing on but for FTS purposes it may bring more light into the corners. Maybe wrap some cut pieces of cardboard in white paper or foil then lay them face down on top of the tank?

I think it looks really nice, I am a fan of the spotlight effect IMO. The handsdown best edge build I have seen thus far. The rock scape is set up really nice, it makes the tank look alot bigger than it really is!

I like it. The heater looks a little out of place, but there isnt much you can do about that. Nice scape though. Got a stock list yet?

Sure there is. Xenon try to lay the heater horizontal or probably behind the larger rocks on the right? I've got mine horizontal at the very bottom and the rocks (for the most part) block most of the heater. If you look at it from the side you can see it laying down and obviously you can see the cord. Once you get some corals (if you want) in there, it should do a better job of hiding it.

Tank looks awesome so far!!

Thank you for the picture, looks great and I too like the spot effect.

My AI Nano will arrive this week, and then I will experience Edge+Vortech+Ai Nano, just like you have running.

What mode do you run your Vortech at?

Archived