Cultivated Reef

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

Finished a 15 light dimming kit earlier today. No soldering experience and it only took about 4 hours. Hanging it tomorrow and I'll get some pics

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fast93accord

finally figured out how to downsize photos... my 20 long with 24 leds, 12 royal blue, 12 10,000 white, both on 100%. i put each driver on its own timer so morning and night will have an hour of blue... my heatsink goesnt get very hot, i guess due to size... i put the fan on anyway... gonna build a hood and toss the hangers... oh, and im not using the optics...

post-71241-1325897002_thumb.jpgtank looks bad due to gha and diatoms...

post-71241-1325896833_thumb.jpg

post-71241-1325896859_thumb.jpg

Just ordered 2x 12 LED DIY kits with the meanwell drivers. Making fuge lights out of them.... Each fixture contains-

3x 10000k white

3x 6500k white

3x 4,500k white

2x red

Also ordered two extra royal blues for each fixture... RapidLED sells the same drivers and says they can be used for 14 LEDs, so that's what I'm doing.

I don't expect the color blending to look nice at all... Just need to grow algae.

Did you see my sump build?

Here's my 30 gallon (still working on the upgrade, so there's no water in the tank yet) with the dimmable 36 LED kit 12" above the tank. I used two of the 15.8"x4.7" heatsinks and there are 18 royal blue LEDs, 9 4500k whites, and 9 10000k whites.

IMG_0905.jpg

The drivers and fans are mounted down behind the tank out of sight.

IMG_0911.jpg

basicfisherman
Here's my 30 gallon (still working on the upgrade, so there's no water in the tank yet) with the dimmable 36 LED kit 12" above the tank. I used two of the 15.8"x4.7" heatsinks and there are 18 royal blue LEDs, 9 4500k whites, and 9 10000k whites.

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

Are you worried about water or salt creep getting on the Pot's or drivers? I think it is a slick setup though.

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

I may be wrong but I always thought the fans are supposed to be on the heatsinks to keep the led's cool not the drivers.

Is there a way to make a sunrise-sunset effect with the standard drivers?

not without creating your own diy project on that, and its totally not worth the time..

and i will get that in my sig sorry :P

I may be wrong but I always thought the fans are supposed to be on the heatsinks to keep the led's cool not the drivers.

That's what I though. Felicia, place the fans on top the heat sink. That's where it's all the heat is generated!

That's what I though. Felicia, place the fans on top the heat sink. That's where it's all the heat is generated!

not fully true.. ray throws in the fans.. honestly in most cases they are not required... Where they really help is when the heat sink is enclosed - the design of a heat sink is to pull heat away and let it cool off with more surface area. Blowing fans over this only increases the air contact with it.. thus making it even cooler. As long as his leds stay a mild warm to touch it should not be within thermal degradation of the leds.

and he probably wont need the fans over the drivers either, i just have mine all on the same platform just because its easier for now. Running the drivers @70% or less really causes no thermal build up and it can dissipate the heat properly.

IMG_0911.jpg

Fans are for the heatsink. This is like putting the heater outside the water... funny though.

Am I the only one who bought the non-dimming kits?

lol i think im just to scared.. i dont know if it runs at full 100% all the time or not.. and i dont want that.. lol

I ran the LEDs yesterday and the heatsink isn't heating up much even at full power, so I don't think I need the fans and I don't really want them cluttering up the heatsink anyway. I wasn't going to use them at all, but I noticed the drivers got pretty warm. Since the drivers are down behind the tank and not on the heatsink, I figured I'd run the fans to make sure the drivers stay cool enough.

Fans are for the heatsink. This is like putting the heater outside the water... funny though.

Fans are more for enclosures - as fls just said - the heat sink doesnt even get warm.. These leds do not burn like CREE's

Are you worried about water or salt creep getting on the Pot's or drivers? I think it is a slick setup though.

The tank is going to have a glass lid, which should block any salt creep from getting to the drivers and potentiometers.

fast93accord

post-71241-1326075837_thumb.jpgso i got a project box and some male and female mono stereo connectors and built this enclosure... oh, and 1 of my potientometers works perfect, while the other one makes the driver make noise as is glitchy... enclosure came out perfect... now i just need to make a nice surround for the heatsink to block visually seeing the leds, and mount the fan... i mounted both drivers to a piece of metal that came with the enclosure. looked very professional. i used the qiuck connects for the power cords in case i need to dissassemble. everything else unscrews...

another shotpost-71241-1326075960_thumb.jpg

post-71241-1326076028_thumb.jpg

post-71241-1326076098_thumb.jpg

Put the 48 LED array up over my 24g cube for schnitzengiggle. 'Scuse the wiring mess :)

Drivers are just sitting on a box right now, I have a project box for them but no fan yet, trying to figure out how to power one.

There's 2x 120mm computer fans on top of the heatsink, heatsink is cool to the touch running at 60%ish.

6663816919_a0e446e738_z.jpg

Put the 48 LED array up over my 24g cube for schnitzengiggle. 'Scuse the wiring mess :)

Drivers are just sitting on a box right now, I have a project box for them but no fan yet, trying to figure out how to power one.

There's 2x 120mm computer fans on top of the heatsink, heatsink is cool to the touch running at 60%ish.

6663816919_a0e446e738_z.jpg

gd dude 48 over a 24 gallon lol!! Looks like you have a LOT of wasted light ;) i bet that is INTENSE though hah

Archived