ReefCleaners.org

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8:30 AM

Please let me know your thughts on these results.

Water as follows:

Temp 78.9

Sal 1.025/4

Ph 7.4 (this is always low. Don't know why)

Ammo 0

Nitrate 5/10 (this is up from last night... Lemme test again) Second test was definitely 5

Kh 10.6 (high?)

Alk 3.77 (high?)

Calc 420

How's the coral selection at congressional? Thinking of making a stop on the way to mr coral.

Thanks. Congressional is hit or miss with the corals. They have great prices but you really have to look to find something good. They have a pretty good selection of fish, some of which are not in Aquarium One. If your looking for frags go to Aquarium One. It's like 2 lights down from Congressional and you probably have to pass it from where your coming from. They are reasonable and have a very good selection. Make sure you dip from there cause I've had some issues...

Obviously the best place I've been is That Fish Place, but a hike of course. I've never been to Mr. Coral...they were closed on thursday. WTF Mr. Coral! Maybe someday.

Chris George
Temp 78.9

Sal 1.025/4

Ph 7.4 (this is always low. Don't know why)

Ammo 0

Nitrate 5/10 (this is up from last night... Lemme test again) Second test was definitely 5

Kh 10.6 (high?)

Alk 3.77 (high?)

Calc 420

All your params look good to me. Nitrates of 5 are what I'd expect from a system like yours. Mine hovers in the 5 range too, although I'm dosing a carbon source now to try and get it to zero.

Your alk is fine. Anywhere from 2.5 to 4.0 meq/L

Are you testing dKH and alk? You could just test one or the other. Most test kits that measure for dKH are really testing total alkalinity. In fact, you can divide your KH results by 2.8 every time and end up with alk meq/L results.

More info on that at the bottom of this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

EDIT: I didn't even really pay attention to the low pH, sorry. Yeah, that's pretty low. Are you sure the test kit is accurate?

EDIT: I didn't even really pay attention to the low pH, sorry. Yeah, that's pretty low. Are you sure the test kit is accurate?

I don't know. After around half the bottle all my tests have been low from the DT. But when I test Ph from the freshly made water it's 8. I don't get it. There's more than enough aeration and the fuge light was on all night. I'll try and test it around 7 when the lights are dimming and see what I get.

I'm tryin to borrow an slr from some one to get some good shots. I'll see if I can give my cyber shot a try. It's an underwater Sony, and it's great, but when the blue LEDs are on it's completely F'd.

Everything looks great today. Getting some good come back after the tank switch. The intense blue LEDs at 7-8 pm seem to really help. I did have an issue with the mag pump. Came home and it wasn't really pumping anything. Unplugged and replugged and it worked again, but I'm not sure about today. Not a whole lot of flow through the sump. Some crappy pics before I do a 15g wc.

86E27177-A470-4272-853A-5742FB064690.jpg

And then there were two

B1E9DD51-4227-43CC-A47E-3ABF879D6DF3.jpg

This used to be a strawberry crab. Pink w white spots. Now it's kinda ugly. ??

F68D2516-14AF-4205-A6DE-E1FA55FB6EEA.jpg

And of course, through much controversy...Fin!

B699390C-566A-4AFB-B3B2-0288A5EEAD6C.jpg

Been working overnight for the past week. I'm beat!

1 new coral addition today...cross your fingers it does well.

And FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! The addition of the Eco-Tech Vortech MP-10!!!!!!!!!!

Sick. Pics to come.

Actually, your post made perfect sense and I knew it was the water going from the tank dropping into the overflow column that was making the noise. Looking at your Durso, I figured the waterfall was much further than one inch. I can't imagine a one inch drop being much more than a trickle sound.

As far as a herbie goes, you can find a detailed description in my thread on page 3 with pics.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3405072

The description is further down in post #57.

You'd have to convert your return line into a backup drain for a herbie. I'd stick with a durso for your setup, you're not going to get any less than a one inch drop. I'm still surprised one inch is loud enough to bother you.

Your noise is coming from the overflow. Deep Blue makes there drain tube a little short. What I did was raise my drain line 1 1/2 up. This made my overflow dead silent. Only noise I hear is when I open the stand. I hear a trickle of water coming out of the drain onto the filter pad.

Looks great! That rock with all the monti's should look incredible once they start to grow out :happy:

Thanks. I was just around your way today.

Your noise is coming from the overflow. Deep Blue makes there drain tube a little short. What I did was raise my drain line 1 1/2 up. This made my overflow dead silent. Only noise I hear is when I open the stand. I hear a trickle of water coming out of the drain onto the filter pad.

That makes sense. I've been stuffing it with filter floss once a week cause it was driving me crazy. So your saying all I need to do is get a PVC piece that's just a bit longer than the one that comes with the tank and it should be fine? Man I might do that tomorrow. Thx.

I have wanted a Vortech since I started this....and here it is! This thing is strong. I don't see myself turning it past halfway on any setting. Let me know if ou feel different. Stiff was blowing all over the place!

005DD505-D3FA-450E-A36B-701D49D8E840.jpg

AD5C8731-C7C1-4CAD-BCEB-BFF08DD7733F.jpg

I have since organized the wires a bit better.

66743F00-BD4A-4637-B03A-46906B816DCB.jpg

9FBC2E31-DD61-4233-948E-E576833F1417.jpg

E9553497-AB56-4E3B-A313-9B73A665C9CF.jpg

Nice!!

Thanks.

Nice everything looks awesome!

Thanks. How's the 'burbs?' I may be there soon. lol

Really? Just visiting or do you live in the DC area?

I live in Rockville. I sold my AR15 to a friend that lives in VA. Your tank looks great!

I have wanted a Vortech since I started this....and here it is! This thing is strong.

And..........it broke....They are sending me another one. Should be here Monday. I can't believe I'm having so many equipment issues. I also don't get the Vortech. It was running fine and I left it in Reef Crest mode. A few hours later the green / red error lights were flashing. I got it running, but can't now. As soon as it powers up it goes to error. It runs fine when its not connected to the wet side. So if I'm holding the motor part it works, but if I stick the two together on the glass it dies. I did notice that the motor part was getting pretty hot within a few minutes of it running for the first time. Anyway, looks like Ecotech Marine has good service.

Might be moving out your way. Been looking at new home builds in Germantown and Clarksburg. Time to get out of our small condo in DC and get into a nice sized home.

Then I'll be closer to Mr Coral, congressional and aquarium one.

Might be moving out your way. Been looking at new home builds in Germantown and Clarksburg. Time to get out of our small condo in DC and get into a nice sized home.

Then I'll be closer to Mr Coral, congressional and aquarium one.

I lived in Germantown for a couple years. Some areas are good, some not. I really like Clarksburg and Urbana. There are some really nice new developments there. If Archstone sells my building in Rockville, I'll probably move to Urbana. Kinda far, but nice.

Just don't go to Mr. Coral on Thursday..... WTF Why are they closed Thursday. I'm scarred and will never get over that... lol I might go up there Saturday. Never been.

Lookin' awesome.... sorry to hear about the Vortech issues. bleh.

Thanks. 'bleh' about sums it up. Oh well. Hopefully the new one will be ok.

Archived