Cultivated Reef

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

Absolutely beautiful... :)

Thanks! What happened to your pico? Nevermind I saw it. that sucks. There's been plenty of times, including today, that I almost broke my JBJ pico. I think it's just a wired shape and the corners just beg to get broke. I'm waiting for your 40 br. Dont make us hold our breath.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick update on my Aqua(de)illumination situation.

A couple weeks ago some water got on my AI controller and it went blank. hasn't worked since. needless to say I thought that was ridiculous...isn't this a product for a box of WATER?! Anyway, I called AI and they sent me a new one. I was thrilled at that level of customer service. I thought the world could be a better place. I was about the send the fried one out when I came home to find that the 'new' one AI had sent was USED. Most likely refurbished. More on that later. So I tested it for a day to find that the controller gets stuck 1 minute before the next timer is supposed to start. What I mean is that the actual time (clock) stops all together. So at 8 when I got home it still read 11:59 am.

I called AI (I think the same dude always answers for support). I left a voicemail. Then another voicemail. Still nothing. I decided to fill out an inquiry online. basically the thread of that is AI thinks its user error, and I'm trying to explain that it's not. I also made a point that if AI is going to refurbish items they need a strict QC check prior to shipping. Unacceptable.

So to make a long story even longer...I'm still with a controller that doesn't work and am

still awaiting the arrival of another 'new' one from AI. I'm so pissed.

I put some floss material in the overflow where theater drains in. I can't stand a noisy waterfall all night. Drives me crazy.

I got a ball of chaeto and calurpa for an algae scubber. Didn't really want the calurpa but it was all mixed up and I figure it only adds to the diversity. I'm using the JBJ Nano Glo led light on the side and the Coralife mini T5 on top. Need to switch out the one actinic for a 10k. Even with all that light the temp is steady at 78.

I also put together a top off. Basically a jug of Ro/Di with a 75 GPH pump in it with a line to the sump. I'll get a float switch at some point but for now its a manual top off with perks. Lol.

Also did some arranging of things in the cabinet. I need to get some of that wire conduit looking stuff to clean things up. I put the Coralife digital timer power center on the top of the stand facing down... We'll see how that works. Thats it for now.

IMG_9242.jpg

Chris George
I put some floss material in the overflow where theater drains in. I can't stand a noisy waterfall all night. Drives me crazy.

Did the floss take care of the noise? I've never had luck really dampening the noise of crashing water for very long. I noticed you're using a Durso standpipe. I would've imagined that would prevent too much crashing. Perhaps the pipe isn't tall enough, allowing the water to fall a good 4 inches or so. That's why I went Herbie overflow in my current system. Dead silent in the overflow and in the sump without the standpipes sticking out the top of the aquarium. Of course I had to have two holes drilled just for the drains.

Did the floss take care of the noise? I've never had luck really dampening the noise of crashing water for very long. I noticed you're using a Durso standpipe. I would've imagined that would prevent too much crashing. Perhaps the pipe isn't tall enough, allowing the water to fall a good 4 inches or so. That's why I went Herbie overflow in my current system. Dead silent in the overflow and in the sump without the standpipes sticking out the top of the aquarium. Of course I had to have two holes drilled just for the drains.

The noise wasn't really coming from the pipe to the sump, it was and is coming from where the DT water overflows into the sump overflow area. If that makes sense. It's about an inch + drop from the surface skim wall to the water below. I've been thinking about creative ways to dampen the sound. The floss isn't working cause it just follows the path of least resistance, which is wherever the floss isn't. I like the pipes, but I have no idea what a 'herbie' overflow is. Have to look that one up. Or could u post a pic here so I can see it?

Yeah I read my post about the floss and that doesn't make sense at all.

It's a collab between wu tang and alife, pretty limited old shirt lol

word up, god

Very nice build. Can't go wrong with the shallow cube! I've been happy with my "Gurgle Buster" over. MIght be worth checking out. http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

The tang seems like he go motor around unimpeded fairly well. I would say he has a lot more room in that 30g than a lot of the rock piled larger tanks I've seen.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll read up on it later tonight.

Got my 'new' AI controller today. I haven't seen it yet. Cross ur fingers that this one works this time.

i hate my tank after seeing this thing

Whoa thanks! I've said that a thousand times myself. And I'm still saying it as I go through people's build threads. It can always be better, but that's the beauty of this. Do u have a thread?

Chris George
The noise wasn't really coming from the pipe to the sump, it was and is coming from where the DT water overflows into the sump overflow area. If that makes sense. It's about an inch + drop from the surface skim wall to the water below. I've been thinking about creative ways to dampen the sound. The floss isn't working cause it just follows the path of least resistance, which is wherever the floss isn't. I like the pipes, but I have no idea what a 'herbie' overflow is. Have to look that one up. Or could u post a pic here so I can see it?

Yeah I read my post about the floss and that doesn't make sense at all.

Actually, your post made perfect sense and I knew it was the water going from the tank dropping into the overflow column that was making the noise. Looking at your Durso, I figured the waterfall was much further than one inch. I can't imagine a one inch drop being much more than a trickle sound.

As far as a herbie goes, you can find a detailed description in my thread on page 3 with pics.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3405072

The description is further down in post #57.

You'd have to convert your return line into a backup drain for a herbie. I'd stick with a durso for your setup, you're not going to get any less than a one inch drop. I'm still surprised one inch is loud enough to bother you.

Actually, your post made perfect sense and I knew it was the water going from the tank dropping into the overflow column that was making the noise. I'm still surprised one inch is loud enough to bother you.

Its not loud. I hear water and think something's wrong. It drives me crazy. I remember waking up to my 'plumbed' chiller on the Bc29 and water was being pumped all over the place. That kind of thing traumatizes a person! Thanks for the info. I'll figure it out...or deal with it.

Goddamit I'm sitting here and I can hear it. Aaaaahh. My wife says it doesn't bother her, but it's so annoying to me. You would think I would enjoy hearing it...but sadly not the case.

Quick update on my controller situation. AI sent me a real new one this time. They have made a couple of improvements: brighter screen, much better knob that clicks and has a better calibration with the system. I programmed it in no time and it went to work. If I come home from work tomorrow and the unit is on timer 4...ITS A KEEPER and I'm sending these old broke ass ones back to whence they came!

Also programmed the Coralife timer. Simple there. Just for things in the sump and the blue stunner strip. I'm alternating between the JBJ Nano Glo LEDs during the day, and the Coralife mini T5s at night over the chaeto and calurpa. Not really necessary but I think it's a cool effect.

Nitrate test revealed 0.

Lastly a word on evaporation: CRAP! The sump evaporates like it's going out of style. Maybe it's just cause I have never had this amount of water before and am not used to it.? I'm going to get a couple pieces of acrylic for a lid, but then I'm a little worried about heat issues. And I am doing all I can to avoid a chiller. No cash for that.

Chris George

The problem he's having is the water splashing when it overflows from the tank into the overflow column. A muffler will keep the standpipe from gurgling, but he's already got a DIY Durso on his standpipe, which is almost silent anyway. He's hearing the water with only a 1 inch drop from his overflow.

You have two options really. You can raise the water level in your overflow column by putting a longer standpipe on there, or you can reduce the output of your return pump in the hopes that slower moving water produces less splash.

You'd actually be surprised the difference in sound between a 1 inch drop and a 3/4 inch drop. It turns the volume of the trickling sound way down. I just messed around with it on my herbie overflow (since the water level in the column is easily adjusted). An inch produced a trickling sound I could hear across the room, and by bringing it up just a small amount, I couldn't hear it from anything further than 6 feet without really concentrating.

Chris George
Lastly a word on evaporation: CRAP! The sump evaporates like it's going out of style. Maybe it's just cause I have never had this amount of water before and am not used to it.? I'm going to get a couple pieces of acrylic for a lid, but then I'm a little worried about heat issues. And I am doing all I can to avoid a chiller. No cash for that.

With my similar setup, I'm hovering around 79 degrees. I don't have any fans installed and my house is usually around 70 degrees inside. I don't have any covers and I just let it evaporate. I'd guess I'm losing around 5 gallons a week based on the depletion of my top-off container. Are you losing more than that you think? Since my ATO container is connected directly to my RODI with a float valve, I just kind of set it to fill and forget it.

With my similar setup, I'm hovering around 79 degrees. I don't have any fans installed and my house is usually around 70 degrees inside. I don't have any covers and I just let it evaporate. I'd guess I'm losing around 5 gallons a week based on the depletion of my top-off container. Are you losing more than that you think? Since my ATO container is connected directly to my RODI with a float valve, I just kind of set it to fill and forget it.

It's hard to quantify because it's only been fully running for a few days. In 1 day the water level in the sump dropped about 1/4+ inches. It's a 16h so it's like 10x18? I wish I could run a line to the RO/DI filter with a float valve. As it is I have to make water using the sink adapter. I might try something with the kitchen sink but it's an apartment so... I know letting the water sit in the filter until it's next use is bad, but there's really no other option.

I'll monitor the evap. I think I'll still get a two piece canopy just to sit in the too lip and dremel out the areas for the hoses and stuff. I'd like to see if that cuts down on evap without increasing heat. I was also thinking of getting a skimmer. I've got some room left over to play with.

Thanks for all the info.

Have you looked into maggie mufflers? I've heard some good things on them. I personally haven't used them.

Thanks. As Chris said it's the overflow baffle, and not the pipe that's causing the noise. I don't know. It's not that bad and normally I don't care about minor details too much. Just bothers me. I could deal with a humming or something like that...chiller noise...not the trickling. Anything but the trickling. Lol

Great name for a tank.....cuz it is! Beautiful!

Hey thanks! I thought of a few names for it, one being The Executive lmao which I thought was retarded after 5 minutes. I rested on the current title based on so many great things I've seen on NR. So much creativity. I'm happy to be a part of it all, and I'm glad you like it.

I kinda like the sound of a tank running. Not the equipment hummm, but the water rushing.

Yeah I get it. Like I said you would think I'd like it too...NO. It's weird though. On my sons freshwater little tank in his room the AC filter makes a noise and I do like it. I guess on my tank if I hear water there's a problem waiting to be fixed. I'm probably a bit paranoid. Oh well.

On that note I love equipment humming and pumps and all that. Probably comes from visiting the Bmore aquarium as a kid. I went so many times and still go. I really enjoy passing big reactor rooms and hearing all the noises.

Archived