58 replies to this topic

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA

The urge has hit once again and I'm upgrading from a 24g aquapod to a 40br with a 20L sump. I don't have many pictures, but I will try to describe the progress as best as possible!

The start:

It all started at PetCo during the $1/gallon sale. Figured why not, an upgrade is always nice. So I purchased a 40br and a 20L which will become the sump.

Over the past 6 months or so I've been collecting pieces that will bring the tank to completion :)

Equipment:
Tank - AGA 40br
Sump - AGA 20L
Overflow - Glass-holes.com 700gph
Powerhead - MP10
Return - Mag-Drive 7 700GPH
Skimmer - Bubble Magus NAC 3.5
Heater - Fluval E100x2
Lights - DIY LED Array - 48x3w (24 CW, 24 RB) Dimmable using a 5.88"x25" Heatsink
Stand - PetCo Manhattan Metal Stand
Controller - Thinking Apex, who knows.
Sand - CaribSea something or other, not too fine though
Rock - about 15lb live rock from my current tank and another 10lbs or so dead rock. I want to do a two island minimalist scape so there won't be too much rock. Might even just stick with the 15lbs from my current tank.

Livestock:
Two Clowns
African Flameback Angel
Mandarin
YWG
Cleaner Shrimp x2
Banded Serpent Star
Brittle Star
Six Maxi Minis (Not so mini anymore :( )
Ultra Maxima
Bland ol' crocea
Sunburst BTA
Crapload of Dwarf Ceriths
Regular Ceriths
Nass. Snails
2x Red Leg Hermits
Bunch of Regular Hermits
2x Zebra Hermits

Livestock Additions:
Harlequin Shrimp (Clean up all the damn asterinas that are all over my rocks, then supplement with CC star legs)
?????

Corals:
Acans
Frogspawn
Torch
Misc. Zoas
Rics
Sunset Monti
Green Slimer
Blue Tort
Orange Monti Cap
Purple Monti Cap
Green Palys
Xenia
Whatever else I forgot.

The stand, it's kinda nice actually:
Posted Image

I'll be getting either a piece of wood which I will stain black for the sump to rest on, or I'll purchase a sheet of 1/4" aluminum from my dad's shop to support the tank. Either way, I'm kind of aiming for a display grade refugium.

I may scrap the baffle idea completely and just make it a macro haven with a small compartment for the return/skimmer/heater(s)

Here's the initial design of the tank, which I still am unsure about, the return has been changed to one:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The lighting has evolved quite a bit and lots of input has been received. Here's the initial design:
Posted Image

This is how it was laid out last night when I started, I need to take off the 2 middle outside left stars and the one outside right star to get it to the final configuration below:
Posted Image

This is what it has changed to:
Posted Image

So that's really it for now, I still need to drill it and get all the plumbing set up but I'll do that once I get all the parts :)

If anyone has any advice on how to swap tanks when the current up and running tank is in the place where the 40br will go, please enlighten me!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by sanchez, 26 August 2012 - 12:44 PM.

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011
  • where the wild things are
What brand of LEDs are those?

cf21

cf21

Nano Reefer

• Validating
  • 369 posts
  • Joined 14 May 2011
  • Ohio
Nice choice on the tank. I love 40 breeder's dimensions! Can't wait to see pics.. :)

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
It's the aquastyle 72 kit. Going to be using some of the remaining leds as a light for the sump.

The heatsink is from heatsinkusa.com

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
I'll take pics of the whole drilling/swapping portion as well as more of the LEDs as I finish the build :)

siwelk

siwelk

The Token Reefer

• Members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Joined 06 May 2004
  • The Hoosier State
This piques my interest.
Please continue...

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
That's all for now, going to order the glass-holes kit next week. Once I get that and the tank is drilled/plumbed I should be good to start er' up

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
So I changed the layout and got the blue string wired up and running. I tried fitting a few of the optics, and as it turns out by using a crappy soldering iron and not a fine string of lead some of the joints are too bloby for the optics to fit on properly so tonight I'm going to try to remove a bit of the solder on some of the larger joints to clean them up a bit.

Also, I dunno if it's the wires or the solder I'm using, but I find it very hard to tin the leads properly :(

And now for some pictures:

Both strings wired
Posted Image

Both strings on at minimum power
Posted Image

Blues with optics fitted
Posted Image

I work on it when I get home from whatever it is that I'm doing that day, so I generally only have about an hour of steam before I gotta hit the sack.

Don't have anything to do tonight, so I'll be able to spend some quality time on it before I go to sleep tonight. I'm gunna stop by the hardware store and get a finer gauge solder to make it a bit easier on myself. The one I'm using is about 3/32" or even 1/8 it's pretty fat.

Trogdor447

Trogdor447

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,040 posts
  • Joined 22 Apr 2010
  • Scranton, PA

Don't have anything to do tonight, so I'll be able to spend some quality time on it before I go to sleep tonight. I'm gunna stop by the hardware store and get a finer gauge solder to make it a bit easier on myself. The one I'm using is about 3/32" or even 1/8 it's pretty fat.

Good move there, i use a finer guage of solder for this reason, its easier to work with and you dont have to melt through a quarter inch of solder
"hun I think George(anemone) is trying to eat Mr. Clown"

Burninating 40b
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=268998

Aquastyle 36 LED Dimmable (40 LEDs)
http://www.nano-reef...?...279188&st=0

Aquastyle 12 LED Sump Reactor
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=287534

My 20h - Flame on - Retired
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=236391

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
So I didn't get to the hardware store, was on my motorcycle and it was raining. Just wanted to get home out of the wet.

I got it finished though :D

All wired up, optics fitted:
Posted Image

We have POWAH!
Posted Image

Don't judge my wire strippers (scissors) haha. My real ones were downstairs in the toolbox :(

sammy113

sammy113

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,083 posts
  • Joined 25 Dec 2006
  • Puerto Rico
Looking good :) subscribed

ry05coupe

ry05coupe

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • Joined 23 Jan 2009
  • Lexington, KY
Yeah buddy!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335078-ry05coupes-rimless-92g-36x36x18/

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
So I know this is still my 34 cube, but I set up the new lights tonight :D This is pre-cleanup, post clutter and is just temporary. Makes the 24gal look so tiny haha. I promise I will clean up the cords and have the drivers not sitting on a helmet box :) Also, camera phone vomits because of blue. The lights are at about 60% like 26 inches off the water.

Also, I got 2 120mm 74CFM fans on top of it, think that's enough? There's room for another.

Double also, selling the old LED fixture in the hardware section :v

Posted Image

Edited by sanchez, 07 January 2012 - 09:19 PM.

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
Did a little spring cleaning today, cleaned up the wire mess and got the project box sorted.

Here's the fans, yes they're zip tied on. It's classier than duct tape haha.
Posted Image

Wire cleanup:
Posted Image

Project box with wiring:
Posted Image

Paleoreef103

Paleoreef103

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  • Joined 07 Dec 2007
  • Iowa City, Iowa
The light looks great! Are you using 60 degree optics?
My Thread. 40 breeder, LEDs, SWC 150 BMK, Vortech and Tunze powered
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
Yessir!

Bonk

Bonk

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 31 Oct 2011
  • CA
That light fixture you built is pretty sick. I'm a little intimidated by electronics, and limited with the knowledge of them. How much research did you do before you made the commitment to build it?

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA

That light fixture you built is pretty sick. I'm a little intimidated by electronics, and limited with the knowledge of them. How much research did you do before you made the commitment to build it?

None at all really, just enough to get the grasp on how they're wired. Once you do one, the rest are dead simple. You just have to be slightly OK with soldering to do it.

The most effort I put into it was designing the bulb layout to get an even spread.

Edited by sanchez, 16 January 2012 - 12:52 PM.

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
Ordered the overflow and return today :D :D :D

Also picked up an MP10 last weekend so this dude will be ready to go by this weekend hopefully!

Will a mag 7 return (throttled to accomodate 478gph return) and am MP10 be enough flow do ya think?

I also have 4 k-nanos lying around that I could supplement with.

Thoughts?

urbaneks

urbaneks

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2009
  • Chandler, Arizona
Great job on that DIY LED, you definitely have more than enough light on that tank. Your hanging kit leaves a bit to be desired, You should look into a true hanging kit which would give you two very fine cables coming down from the ceiling.

ry05coupe

ry05coupe

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • Joined 23 Jan 2009
  • Lexington, KY
If you're planning to do a lot of SPS you'll have to supplement the mp10 with something. I'm using a koralia 2

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335078-ry05coupes-rimless-92g-36x36x18/

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA

Great job on that DIY LED, you definitely have more than enough light on that tank. Your hanging kit leaves a bit to be desired, You should look into a true hanging kit which would give you two very fine cables coming down from the ceiling.

Thanks! I only burned myself once throughout the whole project haha.

Ya know, i looked all over home depot for one of those and I couldn't find one. So I just bought 1/16" wire and some ferrules and made my own. The chains were there already from my old fixture so figured they're already molly-screwed into the drywall up above, may as well leave them and not have to deal with another mounting kit.

With the new fixture spreading the chains apart though it sits a little cock-eyed, so I'll probably end up re-doing it once the tank is set up and running.

If you're planning to do a lot of SPS you'll have to supplement the mp10 with something. I'm using a koralia 2

Not planning on doing a TON of SPS, but I do have a few. Sunset monti, some acros and an orange monti cap thingy.

Maybe I'll do the MP10 on one side and 2 k-nano 425s on the other side. That should be enough, yeah?

Edited by sanchez, 19 January 2012 - 12:42 PM.

driftsaru

driftsaru

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • Joined 05 May 2009
  • orange county, california
that would work sanchez, or find another mp10w and sync them.

sanchez

sanchez

<3 Fishies

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2010
  • Playa Del Rey, CA

that would work sanchez, or find another mp10w and sync them.

I think that's what I'll do eventually, unfortunately unless it's the same price as yours was it's not in the budget :(

(Thanks again btw!)

Edited by sanchez, 19 January 2012 - 12:55 PM.

driftsaru

driftsaru

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • Joined 05 May 2009
  • orange county, california
=/