Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

•The Magic Kingdom 3g Pico• Retired

Jacob042426

Should I be thinking about my livestock yet?

I think you should have a general idea about what you'd like to keep... it doesn't have to necessarily be anything written in stone, but it's always fun to plan out corals. :D

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
devilsadvocate
What does "WTF" mean, I only speak real English

theres a thing called google for lifes questions.

it will also come in handy in this hobby, so dont be making threads like

"whats this feathery tube thing on my live rock HELP" just google it.

MY BROTHER JUST caught this and i was wondering if i could keep it in my picotope until it gets too big. its really neat looking. its some kind of filefish

post-71386-1325447159_thumb.jpg

garrettparson

With your picotope I highly suggest you get a auto top off of some sort. The float switch ones seem to do well if you can not get one of those then atleast get a piece of glass to cover the top.

I would not put any liquid foods such as phyto. They will just cause nasty algea in the tank and eventually could make it crash. In my experiences big water changes atleast once a week makes a great difference in reefing pico style. Dosing the tank with two part addictives seem to always bring a pico to a longer success to me thats a easier route but many people have kept a pico plenty healthy with water changes only. If you ever see any type of algea growth pick it out or burn it with a lighter. If you get rid of it at first sight then you will save the trouble for when it spreads. I do not trust any chemical you can add to the water to get rid of such things especially in such small volumes of water.

I did not see anything mentioned about lighting for this tank. What are your plans for this?

I just found out that my tank and supplies won't come until next Monday :angry: :angry: . Would I be able to start to curing my rock on Saturday? I have my powerhead and a halogen light that gets hot that I could use as a heater. I wish it would come faster...

What's an auto top off? I'll be using the stock lights. which additives should I buy? What about the filefish?

Auto Top Off is just that. Its an automatic top off of fresh water for you tank.

I just found out that my tank and supplies won't come until next Monday :angry: :angry: . Would I be able to start to curing my rock on Saturday? I have my powerhead and a halogen light that gets hot that I could use as a heater. I wish it would come faster...

Yeah sure, just make a batch of saltwater and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and go for it.

Good luck

Auto Top Off is just that. Its an automatic top off of fresh water for you tank.

How do I do that? Just pour fresh water on top?

Yeah sure, just make a batch of saltwater and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and go for it.

I will do that thank you!

Good luck

I also found out my filefish is a matted filefish. Can I keep it?

garrettparson

A auto top off is a thing that automatically brings freshwater in your tank. The picotope with that wide open top has alot of evaporation. Google DIY auto top offs or purchase one if you want.

I would only keep it until it outgrows the tank. It's only an inch long, and I can't let it go because it's not a native species.

Just release the filefish back to the wild, or give it away.. It won't survive the time period until you get your tank up and running.. Plus a pico is way too small for an one inch filefish..

I have in a 2.5 with a in tank whisper.

No. No! Put that fish back! It does not need to be in a 2.5 gallon whereas it came from the ocean. It will die no matter what you do.

Archived