Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Pretty new to this site and just saw your tank. holy ****. Probably the nicest tank I have seen. May I ask what you do for a living lol im sure that tank cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1

:huh: I uh I'm a parts model. My feet are my paycheck.

Never underestimate the importance of a good pedicure or a podiatrist.

Liar !!!!

She has BEWBS ... nuff said

• Like 3

:huh: I uh I'm a parts model. My feet are my paycheck.

Never underestimate the importance of a good pedicure or a podiatrist.

thats awesome. whatever it takes to pay the bills. I just started a 29g only have a few corals so far. I didnt think small tanks could look like that :wub: . You give me hope lol

Just remember that's Horizontal pipe, not vertical pipe equivalent, e.g. not 2 feet of head loss. In aquariums most of your losses are from the head required to get the water back up to the display.

There are 4 different types of head.

1. Velocity head is due to the bulk motion of a fluid (kinetic energy).
  2. Elevation head is due to the fluid's weight, the gravitational force acting on a column of fluid.
  3. Pressure head is due to the static pressure, the internal molecular motion of a fluid that exerts a force on its container.
  4. Resistance head (or friction head or Head Loss) is due to the frictional forces acting against a fluid's motion by the container.

equivalent length deals with resistance head. All are totaled up when finding pressure at a certain point in a system to give total head loss.

also kat, we need you to stay inside and wait out this ebola thing in nyc now.

There are 4 different types of head.

• Velocity head is due to the bulk motion of a fluid (kinetic energy).
  • Elevation head is due to the fluid's weight, the gravitational force acting on a column of fluid.
  • Pressure head is due to the static pressure, the internal molecular motion of a fluid that exerts a force on its container.
  • Resistance head (or friction head or Head Loss) is due to the frictional forces acting against a fluid's motion by the container.
equivalent length deals with resistance head. All are totaled up when finding pressure at a certain point in a system to give total head loss.

also kat, we need you to stay inside and wait out this ebola thing in nyc now.

Just so you know, Veng is an engineer and probably knew all this however kept it simple because it's nicer not to muddy the waters.

Just so you know, Veng is an engineer and probably knew all this however kept it simple because it's nicer not to muddy the waters.

Not trying to be difficult, but my background is in industrial maint aka he designs the systems I fix them when parts break. I find fluid power fascinating and its actually one of the reasons I became interested in saltwater. I felt like I needed to clarify my understanding of headloss not just being the change in elevation from A-B.

Apologies to you veng if you found that condescending in any way as well. Not my intent, nor what I come on NR to do in my free time.

Not that I REALLY want another Ebola patient in my town, but why are they not shipping them to the bio-containment hospitals. Sure it costs a mint to ship a person, but it just seems safer in the long run.

• Like 1

The Ebola in NYC mebbe means mama Tailes gets to keep me in Dallas. She has plans to spike my drinks this evening anyway. We are having a hazmat party at her house tonight!!!!

il_570xN.668556255_kpss.jpg

PARTY!!! :naughtydance:

• Like 3

Not trying to be difficult, but my background is in industrial maint aka he designs the systems I fix them when parts break. I find fluid power fascinating and its actually one of the reasons I became interested in saltwater. I felt like I needed to clarify my understanding of headloss not just being the change in elevation from A-B.

Apologies to you veng if you found that condescending in any way as well. Not my intent, nor what I come on NR to do in my free time.

:lol: don't worry, I'm not that easily offended. I was trying to keep it simple and that obviously led to some confusion. If you reread my post you'll find I didn't say head loss was just elevation change, I said that the losses in 2' of horizontal pipe wasn't the same as 2 feet of vertical change and most of the losses in an aquarium are elevation head losses. I didn't respond because I thought your post added the clarity and me adding anything to it would just muck up Kat's thread. Now, why I worry about mucking up Kat's thread, I dunno considering it's 22K posts long, but whatever. :lol:

• Like 1

Not that I REALLY want another Ebola patient in my town, but why are they not shipping them to the bio-containment hospitals. Sure it costs a mint to ship a person, but it just seems safer in the long run.

They aren't shipping the Ebola patient because he is a medical professional who was helping to treat patients in Guinea. He knows not to leave and how to minimize exposure to others around him. Not to mention NYC has GREAT facilities to handle something like this. Dallas' hospital just completely dropped the ball. And even those nurses turned out just fine.

This'll all be totally fine.

Also, for the elbows - so that chart is saying that for horizontal pressure, a 1" size 90 degree elbow is the equivalent of 5 feet of pipe when calculating total flow? Damn! So that means the elbow that they put on the IM 10 for the pump is killing my overall flow? It was bad enough when the stock pump was rated at a max of 97 gph, but now with the elbow, it's way less. Lame.