Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I called my local Home Depot to see if they had a particular ratcheting PVC cutter in stock since they wouldn't let me order online for store pickup and wouldn't ship it. I press the appropriate # for the plumbing department. My nemesis effin plumber picks up the phone. WTF does he effin live there!!! Effin 'cleanup needed in aisle 13' I need an exorcism in aisle 13. FML.

Best damn PVC cutter money can buy ;)!

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/Snapbucket/B6031ECB.jpg.html]B6031ECB.jpg[/url]

• Like 4

Found this quick connect fitting online. Anybody use this? http://www.saltysupply.com/Quick-Connect-straight-1-4-M-X-1-4-Tube-p/ft8609.htm

Those fittings are typically called 'John Guest' fittings and are most commonly used for pneumatic applications but are also used on RO units as they can withstand high pressure. I have used them for numerous projects around the house and farm and they do work great (metal versions available also for machinery) but have never used them for any plumbing on my tank. They require a rigid tubing to seal correctly.

Thanks for the link. Sometimes it is unavoidable, and sometimes it makes more sense aesthetically. Thats why im going with a much syronger pump than needed.

Benny sold me on the idea of Jabba the hut 6000 DC pump.

• Like 1

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/7/tips

I've read it in multiple places. 90 degree fitting have a significant negative impact on flow rates. I have a tee on my return which is 90 degrees so I didn't avoid it completely.

yeh i don't remember the exact number but in the equivalent lengths method of finding headloss on 1 inch piping a 90* was something like a foot or 2 even of pipe in equivalent length.

edit found it way more than i remembered lol

equivalent-length-screwed-fittings-feet.

yeh i don't remember the exact number but in the equivalent lengths method of finding headloss on 1 inch piping a 90* was something like a foot or 2 even of pipe in equivalent length.

edit found it way more than i remembered lol

equivalent-length-screwed-fittings-feet.

Just remember that's Horizontal pipe, not vertical pipe equivalent, e.g. not 2 feet of head loss. In aquariums most of your losses are from the head required to get the water back up to the display.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be too worried about using right angle fittings if they are convenient for you or if you have no choice. Yes it does restrict flow somewhat and the sudden change in flow pattern can increase noise but sometimes it is unavoidable. Using a 45 fitting and a straight barb is what I always try to do so you can angle towards where you need the flow to go without impacting it too much.

From memory the flow loss isn't as severe as that chart lists, that's pretty much worst case. Take it from someone who works with a lot of pumps and stuff on the farm and from a dad who has had 30+ years of experience in irrigation. There are flow calculators that you can put in your pump flow and head, the fittings used and the vertical head and it will show you a more accurate flow loss. The calculators I have always used are industry standard so I don't know how accurate the free ones online are. I'm not saying its best practice to use say 10 right angle adapters but if you need to use one or two, particularly off a manifold where the outlet flow is reduced with a tap anyway, then I wouldn't worry.

There was a big uproar about right angle fittings in the PC water cooling community years and years ago with people claiming up to 50% flow loss with just 2 right angle fittings in a loop. This was soon proven to be a load of bull as simply running water through a radiator to remove the heat promotes more flow loss than a single fitting.

Still room for error :) I have a back fence on my miter saw so always a perfect straight cut ;). Say Kat has that PVC cutter in her hand. Her doorbell rings and she freaks out because her new shoes just showed up. She angles the pipe as the jaws are closing :lol: like I said room for error. Plus mine cuts 4 inch pipe!
  • Like 4

Still room for error :) I have a back fence on my miter saw so always a perfect straight cut ;). Say Kat has that PVC cutter in her hand. Her doorbell rings and she freaks out because her new shoes just showed up. She angles the pipe as the jaws are closing :lol: like I said room for error. Plus mine cuts 4 inch pipe!

:lol:

• Like 1
jedimasterben

:haha: