SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I'll have to sand PVC after I cut it, I'm not sure I understand this grit business that is noted on the sandpaper and why it is so expensive for a sheet of paper! I can get a specialty barb for $0.99 but paper costs $4?

So which sandpaper should I get for the PVC?

I also need white true union ball valves. Slip slip and thread thread. Anybody has a source?

The higher the number, the finer the grit, the smoother the surface will be when sanded. Low numbers are typically used for rough sanding while high numbers are used for finishing

Why you sanding the pvc?? Really isn't needed. Make sure you use the right glue/primer and your good to go!

Our systems don't run under any serious pressure or anything.

• Like 2

Yeah, no need to sand. Even when cleaning up after cutting the PVC. I just use a small blade and run it on the edges. You don't have to use primer, but it will make sure everything really adheres together well. I didn't use any primer when I did my plumbing and I had only 1 leak because I was too slow and didn't rotate the coupling when assembling. Therefore the glue didn't make it all the way around and a small leak developed. I just turned off my return pump and put lots of PVC adhesive on the leak and no more leak.

Also, I remember you asked about using spray paint in the aquarium awhile back. I used some spray paint for acrylic that was supposed to adhere to acrylic. Turns out it lasted only about 8 months. The paint is slowly flaking off in tiny flakes that I can't see. Thankfully its on the inside of the overflow, so the flakes go into the sump and get caught. Next time I'll use colored acrylic instead of painting clear acrylic.

Oh Alex.

I can still get them, (thank goodness for prime shipping and free returns) but I looked at those exact ones at Lowes.com and I was getting them till I needed a thread thread also. The description only said slip slip, unless it is pulling up physical stock from my local store or something.

It could be that! I walked into my store and picked them up off the shelf. Sometimes websites don't have full details. If the savings is going to be substantial, maybe it's worth walking into a lowes and checking it out. My local Home Depot also has the same exact ones!

Also just so you know...when your at lowes, if no one is looking....you can slip a threaded Union on it. They are interchangable..lol...but they should have the threaded ones. My store did.I'm about to just buid the manifold and send it over.

What! Aiyayiyai. How much does this valve in 3/4 inch cost at your local Lowes?

It could be that! I walked into my store and picked them up off the shelf. Sometimes websites don't have full details. If the savings is going to be substantial, maybe it's worth walking into a lowes and checking it out. My local Home Depot also has the same exact ones!

Yah. The thing is called run the other way. One time I walked in there, around 4 pm. I was.just meandering about reading the description on the parts and doing a little show and tell for myself. Just trying to get familiar with the stuff. He's right there and exclaims loudly to nobody in particular. "I think now might be a good time fir lunch". There was nobody in the aisle to hear him but me.of everbody, I totally "look" like I need help. Why else do I walk around with.a.bunch of papers with pictures of plumbing parts.

I think she has a thing for him.

Yah. The thing is called run the other way. One time I walked in there, around 4 pm. I was.just meandering about reading the description on the parts and doing a little show and tell for myself. Just trying to get familiar with the stuff. He's right there and exclaims loudly to nobody in particular. "I think now might be a good time fir lunch". There was nobody in the aisle to hear him but me.of everbody, I totally "look" like I need help. Why else do I walk around with.a.bunch of papers with pictures of plumbing parts.
Maybe he knows you're talking shit about him on NR?
  • Like 3

I prefer the 90 degree elbows... The hose doesn't kink at all. It just goes end to end, but with the little straight one, the hose has to bend more to connect properly and that could inhibit flow.

Also, I've never understood why so many people order all of their plumbing off of aquarium supply sites? Lowes and HD often carry the same stuff, or comparable, for cheaper (considering shipping). There are definitely fittings and such that you CAN'T get anywhere but an aquarium supply place, but some of the other stuff you definitely can.

Edit: I should speak only as a pirate in this thread from now on...

• Like 1

I prefer the 90 degree elbows... The hose doesn't kink at all. It just goes end to end, but with the little straight one, the hose has to bend more to connect properly and that could inhibit flow.

Also, I've never understood why so many people order all of their plumbing off of aquarium supply sites? Lowes and HD often carry the same stuff, or comparable, for cheaper (considering shipping). There are definitely fittings and such that you CAN'T get anywhere but an aquarium supply place, but some of the other stuff you definitely can.

Edit: I should speak only as a pirate in this thread from now on...

How does a pirate speak?

Also, speaking as a plumbing noob, the various names of fittings can be the difference between ordering it off of an aquarium site vs HD or Lowes.

For example the above fitting is called BarbXMIP elbow on HD and it is called Insert elbow fitting insertXMPT on Marine depot.

So depending on the search words you use, you may never find it in a hardware store.

That's why I walk in with pictures. :)