ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Yay! You are gonna rock that RSM.

I know the ammonia seems extreme now, but you managed to save a lot of life on the rocks in your BC14 so I'm sure you'll keep most of it this time around too. Transferring over media and water from the biocube sounds like it might help out.

I can't wait to see the fabulousness. :D

twin spot coris? I think those get like 2 feet long lol, IMO flashers should have 36 inches of horizontal swimming room.

YOU CAUGHT ME! :) "Two tangs" would have been obvious. :)

Looks great Kat! Love the look of this tank.

Grazie

Great start ! Guess u could go taller with the scape there is a lot of head room :P

Thanks, yes need some height.

Yay! You are gonna rock that RSM.

I know the ammonia seems extreme now, but you managed to save a lot of life on the rocks in your BC14 so I'm sure you'll keep most of it this time around too. Transferring over media and water from the biocube sounds like it might help out.

I can't wait to see the fabulousness. :D

Thank you miss Jelly. I've been researching the dynamics of a soft cycle a little more. My cycle in the BC was a true soft cycle because I had the tank running with live sand and live rock from the LFS for about a week before the uncured rock from the ocean arrived. So I had a solid week of a head start on the bacteria colonization.

In this case it was starting to smell in the buckets and I panicked. I should have bought a regular big old tank and put these rocks in and had it cure, ensuring a soft cycle with very frequent water changes of up to 50%. Much easier to do in a small tank than a 34 gallon towering one.

Ammonia is at 0.50-1.0ppm. :)

One thing I did before I did my transfer kat was run the zeolite on the old tank for a month so it was populated with bacteria. My cycle lasted 8 hours or so(my rock had been sun curing in buckets for 2 months) andwere only outta water for 20 minutes though, but preseeded filtration helps move it along quick. Either way the new max looks goodagainst yellow :P

I hear you. I now know how to rock this cycle. Of course I had "I will survive" on repeat on the iPod and a bottle of scotch on the ready the whole time....

Edited by metrokat

The rock anemone is pretty cool, I got 2 brain corals, just hoping they survive. Coolest HH would be some sponges, looks like I have some red, orange, white and yellow sponges, hope they live through. I also have some grape caulerpa and fern caulerpa in addition to halimeda. Fingers crossed.

Look into other chromies, I think there are a few other colors out there that you may like. Then after you try them on, I might get some. :)

what about cardinals?

Original plan was to transfer and shut down the BC. I had the RSM cabinet door unattached till this morning which allowed me to stare at the caverous interior forever. And I find myself wondering how to do the plumbing to make it a refugium/sump/frag tank. Somebody slap me, I'm getting ridiculous.

First of all that would require ditching the BC hood which would have had the stock PC lights and getting a simple clear acrylic lid and possibly using my coralife T5 light on it.

Then the plumbing and pipes and the ugly stuff which I have NO idea how to do. So the plan thus far stays original.

Not in the near future, but a sump and Led's are in my RSM's future as well. Did you ever come to a conclusion on your lights? I'm no good at DIY so I was thinking the radion and a custom RSM sump from the guy at I think it called lifereef? Very cool but very $$$$$.

Your new RSM matching shoe, needs a GFY sticker.

I would NEVAH put a GFY sticker anywhere on anything visible, it can go inside the cabinet.

Yes I have been looking at life reef, his refugiums cost more than the whole tank and stand! but the sure look cool. For lights I will be upgrading to panorama pros. Ecoxotic will help me install if I run into issues.

I finally got the pumps, over flow box, water level to a happy level. But 3 am I woke up to look at the tank and the pumps were blowing bubbles everywhere. topped off with barely a quart of RO and it worked fine. That was not cool.

The heater was at 76.5 degrees when I woke up. That was ridiculous. High temp I can understand, why would it keep it low.

Spectrapure ordered, thanks AZDesertRat for help selecting.

Using Oceanic "ORA endorsed" salt for now. Switching to Red Sea Coral Pro, thanks Paneubert for the BRS group buy.

Now i need some BRUTE buckets thanks to KG.

Maxijet 1200 (Paneubert?????)

Koralia 750.

No, I will be replacing the stock lights entirely. The plan is 1 pro 50/50, 1 pro 453nm, 1 453 stunner, 1 magenta stunner.

Instead of the two stunners, would you consider a third pro module 50/50 blue and magenta? It would be the same colors, costs, and get better penetration in the larger tank.

I think that is an excellent color combination and ratio.