Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Spiderguardnano

Hey kat can you point me in the right direction of a good vitamin c read for zoas?

im curious to what it does and how do you know how much to add

thank you

The only sps I can get to eat for me has been green birdsnest, that thing chows down on mysis sized chunks of food. It's no wonder it's growing so fast for me.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Hey kat can you point me in the right direction of a good vitamin c read for zoas?

im curious to what it does and how do you know how much to add

Nobody really knows what it does besides it being a carbon source. You add it based on your tank volume and what concentration you are dosing to.

VITAMIN C DOSING CHART

Here are the directions:

Use this product:

NutriBiotic, Sodium Ascorbate, Crystalline Powder, 16 oz (454 g) - iHerb.com FREE SHIPPING!!!

$10 off 1st order of $40 & up or $5 off on smaller orders, when using this code: LUL789

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily (down to 2-3 ppm works also). If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using I-herb product:

1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC

10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC

15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC

20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC

25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC

30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:

*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.

*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 or lower if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread, also for better health/coloration of your fish. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Higher doses of as much as 100ppm (for about 2 weeks) for fish illness. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.

*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.

* If you notice an algae bloom (white stringy stuff) or increased scum on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.

* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.

* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water then pour into overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors. *Keep your Vitamin C bottle in the refrigerator. * If you have a question, ask here. I do my best to check these threads daily.

* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/zoa-discussion-club-zoa/8931-vitamin-c-dosing-zoanthids-i-am-clueless-33.html#post1537871

Under no circumstances dose without an efficient protein skimmer or any product that is not powdered. Sodium ascorbate breaks down in the presence of water, light, heat within hours.

My Z's and P's grow like weeds I run a very minimal amount of GFO and no carbon. Only thing I dose is Kent coral accel and vitamin c. My alk is rock solid all the time at 8. I have noticed my polyps look better and grow faster when I am up on my waterchanges. When I slack on my waterchanges the polyps start looking funky.
I dose coral accel also and have been doing so for years. I love that stuff.

Text from Kat: Your tank looks like poop.

I said the lights you have make your tank look like poop. :slap:

You will retract that statement when you see it now. It's blue heaven baby!

Question. How do you suspend a light from a false ceiling?

You make a penetration from the false ceiling to the real ceiling and make the attachment there. You're talking about something like this, right?

drop-ceiling.jpg

You make a penetration from the false ceiling to the real ceiling and make the attachment there. You're talking about something like this, right?

No, it's a drywall ceiling, not that framework supported tile thing in your picture.

I used a stud finder and it beeped a few times. I'm not sure if I can believe it but there might be a cross beam stud for support. However if there isn't, should I risk hanging my light from a drywall ceiling, even with anchors or whatever. Or should I do a wall hanger?

jedimasterben

Drywall can hold quite a bit of weight, I don't think your lights would push it over the edge with two points. I used a toggle bolt and a decorative hook as the bolt to hold up my old lights.