Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Update!

The coral of my dreams finally got shipped from live aquaria, (it is not a special coral, I've just been obsessed with getting it because every time I go to order it off the site, it is sold out a half a second after I get the in stock notification). I posted earlier that I dreamt all night Wednesday about placing an order and trying to reach LA but couldn't. I guess that would qualify as a nightmare. But anyway.

So my friend Marc called me 2 days ago saying that his friend Glen who had ordered the coral for Marc and I got a ship notification and since he hadn't ordered anything he assumed they were my coral, LA confirmed and I was jumping up and down. I made Marc promise to send me pictures of the bags, the acclimation, everything which he sent me yesterday.

The things are not even a 3/4 inch big. Not even. Thanks live aquaria. :angry:

They do come with a 30 day guarantee, so I suppose that is something. Meh.

Everything pops with good light, quality photo, and especially a stark black background for contrast. It will open up and be almost as beautiful ;)

Scooby, the thing is as big as my nail. I'm not happy with liveaquaria.

I ordered a small feather duster and the thing was huge. The crab they sent and sexy shrimp were small but they were meant to be. I don't think I will order any more corals unless it says WYSIWYG and somebody else is buying presents. Hmpf. Fish and things are okay.

Came home to all inhabitants accounted for. Mixing a fresh batch of saltwater and getting ready to set up the frag tank also.

Added back chemi pure elite and purigen after both were sitting out and dry for a few weeks, hope that doesn't mess up anything. Corals look happy, fish missed me. Lots of shmutz in the tank, I guess I can't deny it anymore. I'm in need of Stevie Ts media basket.

Can't sleep. The max has been bubbling because I put back the carbon and purigen in the return chamber which severely impacts flow. So there is a gentle flow because only one pump is on. With 2 I get schmutz and bubbles. sigh. Plus my cat won't sleep with me, it is warm now so he doesn't need a human heater. Me sad.

Also been worried about the tank move to a spot 10 ft away. Not exactly sure how to save my corals, would wet paper towels keep them alive?

Mandarin seems fine, being away 5 days where he was not target fed does not show in his body.

The live brine died in the fridge. They are not meant to last more than a few days anyway.

Pod culture seems okay, I do see pods and they are small. I wonder when, if at all, I'll see a mad population.

OH SHOOT! Forgot I had live blood worms in the fridge too, we shall see if they are alive. Schmoopy, the Betta loved them, not sure of the mandarin did.

Corals in the make shift frag bucket are pissed off. I'm ready to set up the frag tank first thing in the morning after I send the niece and nephew to school. 2.5 gallon, T5 light, 2 piddley filters, that should do it.

Placing an order with Stevie T tomorrow. I've really tired to resist but the little subtleties of the RSM filtration setup don't allow for home made solutions. Not like the BioCube that you could mod 6 ways from Sunday. Getting a media basket because there is simply no good way to add filter media and still have good water flow through the system.

Crap! need a heater for the frag tank.

I hate when you get corals that look nothing like the picture, even WYSIWYG!!!!!

Moving a tank 10 feet is almost as much hassel as moving it ten miles. My only advise is get as much out of there as you can. All the water and rock, maybe leave the sand.

Did you get a new skimmer?? Personally, I'm not super happy with the Tunze, but the Stevie's media rack is the shizz especially compared to what you have now.

Hmm, this all very interesting. I was looking at the RSM tanks for when I upgrade but I wondered about mods and such. I think I'll do a DIY set up once I have the knowledge, funds, and space. As for now though, you've inspired me to start a pod culture. Hopefully I can save some more money for corals by having a ready supply of tigger pods for my clowns and goby all the time. :) I also plan to try to catch a few white pods from the tank glass and start another culture of them. Should be an interesting experiment! ;)

I hate when you get corals that look nothing like the picture, even WYSIWYG!!!!!

Moving a tank 10 feet is almost as much hassel as moving it ten miles. My only advise is get as much out of there as you can. All the water and rock, maybe leave the sand.

Did you get a new skimmer?? Personally, I'm not super happy with the Tunze, but the Stevie's media rack is the shizz especially compared to what you have now.

inoright? also I'm told one of the frags is not making it. good thing we have a 30 day guarantee on it.

I did not get a new skimmer and don't plan to. My abundance of macros makes for a natural skimmer/filtration so for the longest while my skimmer which had initially worked well has not produced more than pale green water since the addition of my macros. I haven't taken a FTS and you can hardly see my macros in the video I did but I have a LOT. I have to get the media rack, once the skimmer comes out, there is no way to hold the filter sponge or anything.

Hmm, this all very interesting. I was looking at the RSM tanks for when I upgrade but I wondered about mods and such. I think I'll do a DIY set up once I have the knowledge, funds, and space. As for now though, you've inspired me to start a pod culture. Hopefully I can save some more money for corals by having a ready supply of tigger pods for my clowns and goby all the time. :) I also plan to try to catch a few white pods from the tank glass and start another culture of them. Should be an interesting experiment! ;)

I responded on the pods in your thread. The RSM is a really good system IMO. For me personally I like covered tanks and the all-in-one aspect so I don't have to see wires and stuff. All builds and tanks have some flaw, I would say in the RSM the biggest flaw is that the filter media doesn't have any place to go if you remove the skimmer. Would be great if RSM offered the skimmer as an optional unit and provided a media basket if you opted out.

Manhattan Aquariums was nice enough to special order a midas blenny for me. They posted a picture of it on their sponsor thread on another forum and I went omgomgomg

So I called them for a price and to make sure he was small in size. The guy told me they have a canary blenny, not a midas. So we went over the little details like blue eyes and a, ahem, blue butt-hole :rolleyes: and yes they have a Midas. Now I feel stupid because canarys go for $10, this guy is $30.

Anyway, he said someone took a bite out of his tail and his dorsal fin. my poor fishy! tortured! after I waited this long. So they're holding him for me, and hopefully have moved him into a TLC tank.

Whenever I go get one, he's going to be called George. Like, from Missisippi: GEOWGE.

your apartment must slowly be turning into a lfs

Stinky pod cultures do not help.

Le Petite Frag Tank

IMG_20120416_223635.jpg

I see a sticker :)

Stinky pods:

IMG_20120416_223722.jpg

Interesting place to keep pods. Would you mind describing how it is setup? I know this sounds silly since it is just in a container, but I mean as far as what all is in the container. I would like to ideally setup something similar for this little guy:

dragonet.png

Interesting place to keep pods. Would you mind describing how it is setup? I know this sounds silly since it is just in a container, but I mean as far as what all is in the container.

cute fishy! The bathroom is the critter bathroom, not mine (mine is pink just so you know ha!), the spectrapure is hopefully getting installed today. So in this acrylic beverage container ($7.99 @ target) I have saltwater and 1 pack of tisbe pods from algagen. I had some live substrate initially in my makeshift culture which I removed when I drained out the pods culture into this container. I add live phyto when I see the color getting lighter. I add a teeny pinch of reef cleaner filter feeding food once a week. I put in an airstone occasionally. That is it.

Midas blenny's are simply the coolest fishies on the reef.

yeah, i hope he lives long enough at the LFS for me to see some of his fun behavior. Geowge is not coming home with me till he is all better.

That is THE thread!

This link is also very helpful

Edited by metrokat