Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Feeding Frenzy:

The frozen cube decided to land on the nem who promptly engulfed it. What a pig! Then I found myself siphoning out chunks of the cube from it, stealing from the nem, how did we come to this

IMG_20120330_155726.jpg

The right side of the tank, mushroom ledge, spongodes, nuclear greens, blasto and Lorax.

IMG_20120330_155734.jpg

My new addition: Sargassum. The rocks are temporary, they get sent to a friend next week.

IMG_20120330_155747.jpg

Duncan stuffing itself

IMG_20120330_155753.jpg

Suncorals inhaling

IMG_20120330_155801.jpg

Open brain

IMG_20120330_155808.jpg

Pod culture!

IMG_20120330_141504.jpg

oh thank you! I've been emailing them like mad because I couldn't get digital access even though it is part of my subscription.

Yes I've got lots of stuff growing in the back, first of all the rockwork does not touch the back glass wall. I've got macros, gorgonians, SPS, polyps and I put my frogspawn back there too.

Thank you for asking Ballzee. It's doing alright. I see happy corals, melting corals, not so happy corals, another day in the life of a reef tank. Shipped out some extra LR to a friend today so I have cleared out some room. Still have lots of tiny frags to glue down, meh.

Lookin good! I enjoyed the video :) I like the macros you have, you do a good job of making them look pretty and appropriately pruned!

altolamprologus
Is that a cleaner goby, and who the hell is this jason fox?

I believe that's a neon goby (Elacatinus oceanops). It's in the the cleaner family but doesn't actually clean and does well in captivity.

Jason Fox is some guy that started growing and fragging coral and charges several times the market price for frags just because they have his name attached. Kind of like ORA stuff. Same quality (sometimes worse), but you pay so much more for the brand name.

My clown does the same thing, Kat! Everytime there's a camera, he's right in front of it blocking all the shots :lol:

Lookin good! I enjoyed the video :) I like the macros you have, you do a good job of making them look pretty and appropriately pruned!

Paigee I have a little stick I beat all the tank inhabitants with. The nem seems unaffected however. :huh:

Is that a cleaner goby, and who the hell is this jason fox?

Alto is right, it is a neon goby, also comes in yellow (not to be confused with sharknose goby). I have seen this cleaner goby clean my clowns once or twice, looks more like a mauling to be honest.

I believe that's a neon goby (Elacatinus oceanops). It's in the the cleaner family but doesn't actually clean and does well in captivity.

Jason Fox is some guy that started growing and fragging coral and charges several times the market price for frags just because they have his name attached. Kind of like ORA stuff. Same quality (sometimes worse), but you pay so much more for the brand name.

My clown does the same thing, Kat! Everytime there's a camera, he's right in front of it blocking all the shots :lol:

They're in the pics when you want to capture something else, but refuse to come into focus when you want to click them.

Jason Fox is a car mechanic, a jolly fellow with a cute little baby girl that he brings to frag swaps. He has a basement vault of coral, he is most known for his crazy chalices. Nice guy though.

Is there a pic of your modified hood with the panoramas?

Here you go. One PRO, 2 stunners.

IMG_20120404_212838.jpg

all this time and money spent on a damn fish tank and you still can't take a good picture of it. you're killing me, kat.

I'm sorry daddy, I'll try harder next time. sniff.

Alternatively! A certain talented photographer could offer to take pictures of my reef while I watch the baby and chat up the wife. :huh:

I'm sorry daddy, I'll try harder next time. sniff.

Alternatively! A certain talented photographer could offer to take pictures of my reef while I watch the baby and chat up the wife. :huh:

Haha! You could run a business with a service like that! You'd be like a secret shopper, a "random" customer wandering the store. Charge a fee to chat up the wife in the LFS, distracting their attention, leaving the guys free to buy up stuff, under the radar! lol. "Those are cute heels"...mission is a GO!...

Hey, Kat! Mike from Eco's FB page. You should post up that pic on their wall. People are always asking about mounting them in their hoods.

Heyyyy Mike! Thanks for stopping by and nice to randomly meet you on FB.

I'll print up business cards and try to get myself a weekend LFS job, "ooh look at those new gucci glasses". I should practice at the mall this weekend. :rolleyes:

In other news, I dreamt that I ordered a Midas blenny from live aquaria and the one I got did not have blue eyes or a blue butt hole. :blink:

I think I need a vacation.

Edited by metrokat

I've dreamt my tank was literally simmering, and steaming from overheating. Fish were gone, coralline was gone, rocks were bare and clean. The tank was sterile! But never of a blenny's blue butt hole... :eek:

I was overly excited about visiting DC this weekend with my family. I was planning a visit to Mr. Coral for weeks and here was my chance. Mr Corals pictures and specials have been very enticing. I had placed an order with him a while back. While that did not go as planned, I was still satisfied with the conclusion of that transaction. I debated placing another online order but I managed to resist. Here was my chance to visit, and I carefully planned on cleaning out his $10 tank. I was logging on to his site all the time this last few weeks.

I arrived at his store at about 3pm today.

IMG_20120407_145501.jpg

I walked in hoping to meet Sonny but he wasn't in the store today. I met Ken, for those that don't know, Ken frags, bags and ships all your orders. Certainly most of them. Nice guy, I was at the store a while so we chatted about lights and such while I went over the frag tanks with a fine tooth comb.

I picked up about 11 frags, most in the $10 category but several for more $$. The SPS I got are really really cool and I like the zoas I picked out also. Everything is still in the baggies in my cooler with a warm towel keeping them warm, while I am still at the hotel in DC. I go home tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should open the bags to give some air to the frags and re-pack them or what.

IMG_20120407_173839.jpg

I was disappointed at the selection, I was hoping for more but they are truly closing up the $10 section. And the frags looked better in pics, the tanks were not in the greatest shape. The Ebay frags were REALLY sweet. I mean really! Clean, large size, healthy frags. OF course there was one frag tank that was Sonny's. And of course I wanted what was in it. :rolleyes: Chalices are not my thing but boy that gold chalice is to die for!

file_371_51.jpg

I cajoled Ken into letting me take a picture of him holding my loot cooler.

IMG_20120407_155913.jpg

:D

And I totally forgot to ask for my Easter special deal. They're advertising 1 free coral for every $35 spent. :(

Edited by metrokat