ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Looking good! I use the red sea pro and put 2 1/4 cups in a lowes bucket with RODI about 3" from the top which is about 4 gal. Perfect every time.

Looking good! I use the red sea pro and put 2 1/4 cups in a lowes bucket with RODI about 3" from the top which is about 4 gal. Perfect every time.

So you don't use their 1.6lb/5gallon or whatever measurement. interesting.

I tried that too, but...

look what I woke up to!

Wow it split. That's a pretty BTA! So now it is off the PVC and you can sell the one on the PVC. Yay.

Edited by metrokat
jedimasterben
Wow it split. That's a pretty BTA! So now it is off the PVC and you can sell the one on the PVC. Yay.

Just think, this isn't the RBTA I bought, either. The one I originally had was sitting in a glass bowl in a frag tank so it wouldn't walk all over the corals, and the LFS owner scraped him off the glass and tore his foot in several places. I took the nem back the next day (I got him very near their closing, and I live an hour from them) and they exchanged it for this one, and let me bring the cap it was sitting in, too, so the same thing wouldn't happen.

The first one was much prettier, but I'd rather have one that I knew would have the best chance for survival.

Oh, and I'm gonna keep both of them so I will have one for each of my tanks once I get my waterfall going!

Edited by jedimasterben
jedimasterben
You guys are making me want a BTA! :lol:

If I had the money I would buy out every LFS within 70 miles of their nems, mini carpets, BTAs, sebaes, etc, and would have just nems.

I've already got seven in my 55g (now eight): two RBTAs now, a mini-maxi carpet, a small pink rock-flower carpet, two electric green hitchhiker rock flower nems, a condy, and a big sebae. The sebae is my baby, he's my first nem that survived for more than a month and has been growing and regaining color daily. :wub: Not bad for throwing him into a month-old tank.

Edited by jedimasterben
jedimasterben
I want one so bad but my tank is too small :(

I will have a BTA once I upgrade in a year or so :)

Put simply, they don't grow quickly. How small is too small? You just need to be careful if there are corals in the tank, you don't want to put it in a spot you think it'll like and then have it walk all over everything when it doesn't lol. Almost lost a mushroom that way!

If I had the money

I've already got seven in my 55g (now eight): t

The sebae is my baby, he's my first nem that survived for more than a month and has been growing and regaining color daily.

:bling:

I want one so bad but my tank is too small :(

I will have a BTA once I upgrade in a year or so :)

My BTA at the LFS was the size of a silver dollar, which is misleading because the thing expands and contracts like no tomorrow. The max it has been in my tank has been about 3-4 inches in diameter, as long as it doesn't touch anything or walk on my jason fox corals....

jedimasterben
:bling:

My BTA at the LFS was the size of a silver dollar, which is misleading because the thing expands and contracts like no tomorrow. The max it has been in my tank has been about 3-4 inches in diameter, as long as it doesn't touch anything or walk on my jason fox corals....

Psh, my sebae has your BTA beat. It's 9" across at its widest, and it shrunk to the size of a quarter the other day when a porcelain anemone crab made it mad lol. :)

My tank is a 25 gallon cube so a bit too small IMO.

I do really like the green BTAs though. I currently have a maxi mini and a rock flower anemone. I love these 2 and have seriously considered making my tank an anemone tank.

jedimasterben
My tank is a 25 gallon cube so a bit too small IMO.

I do really like the green BTAs though. I currently have a maxi mini and a rock flower anemone. I love these 2 and have seriously considered making my tank an anemone tank.

A 25g cube? Man, I'm about to put one into either a 17g or a 13g, you have no excuse! :lol:

Very nice tank Kat. Love the tank sitter stories too.

Random question, does your Porcelain crab hide in the BTA or under it or both?

Mine tends to do a little of both, but just curious if yours does the same.

jedimasterben
Very nice tank Kat. Love the tank sitter stories too.

Random question, does your Porcelain crab hide in the BTA or under it or both?

Mine tends to do a little of both, but just curious if yours does the same.

I've got two that do the exact same in my Sebae nem. They surprisingly also share with two clownfish!

I've got two that do the exact same in my Sebae nem. They surprisingly also share with two clownfish!

Yup..I only have one, but it does this in my Sebae Nem.

Monday though it decided to leave the Sebae and go to my RBTA. Pretty sure my massive clownfish wasn't happy with this.

Needless to say, the crab is now back with the Sebae lol.

I have a mini mini nem and I want more. I'd love to get a BTA though. I'll have to think it through because I only have a few corals now. I could possibly get one and let it pick its spot before I add the next batch or corals.

jedimasterben
I have a mini mini nem and I want more. I'd love to get a BTA though. I'll have to think it through because I only have a few corals now. I could possibly get one and let it pick its spot before I add the next batch or corals.

that would be the best idea. Otherwise you may get some dead coral out of the deal. :(

just remember that they like to stick their foot into a rock, like an outcropping, with good lighting, and not a lot of direct flow, and it may stay where you put it.

I have 2 porcelain anemone crabs and they've been playing musical anemones. Or maybe the anemone is playing musical crabs. :unsure:

The one currently on it does everything from sit on its mouth to hang on its tentacles to use it as a blanket, knead it, steal its food. The behavior is cute but those legs and claws are sharp, I wonder if the anemone gets stressed by them. I moved the anemone to a spot close to my clownfish in the hope that maybe they might investigate it, no luck so far.

The sexy shrimp are interested in it but they get chased off by the crab. My Carribean porcelain crab, Dingbat, has been hovering very close to the anemone since yesterday. I don't know if this species enjoy being hosted by the nem, guess I'll find out since he is huge, he will chase off the little porcelain if he wants to.

Edited by metrokat
jedimasterben
...musical crabs...

Yeah, maybe you should get that checked out. :P

The one currently on it does everything from sit on its mouth to hang on its tentacles to use it as a blanket, knead it, steal its food. The behavior is cute but those legs and claws are sharp, I wonder if the anemone gets stressed by them. I moved the anemone to a spot close to my clownfish in the hope that maybe they might investigate it, no luck so far.

The sexy shrimp are interested in it but they get chased off by the crab. My Carribean porcelain crab, Dingbat, has been hovering very close to the anemone since yesterday. I don't know if this species enjoy being hosted by the nem, guess I'll find out since he is huge, he will chase off the little porcelain if he wants to.

I don't think that the crabs hurt the nem, occasionally they pester, but as long as I've had my porcelain crabs, the nem has never had any damage.

My sexy shrimp don't live in my sebae, the closest they get is a few inches. The mini-maxi, rock flower, and RBTAs they will sit on/in, but not the sebae.

Caribbena porcelains are not anemone crabs and will not be a host.

Photo update.

Happy Max the Clownfish

IMG_4207.JPG

Mooch the cleaner shrimp, pic sux as he's always in the shadows

IMG_4204.JPG

Jason Fox PokerStar PE! Except it isn't all green polyps :unsure:

IMG_4200.JPG

Jason Fox Leptastrea progression:

Feb 20th:

IMG_3924.JPG

March 12

IMG_4148.JPG

Today (blurry pic)

IMG_4199.JPG

Moar Updates!

Received another perfect order from live-plants. Russ sent me some pretty sargassum macro and 2 packs of Tisbe so I shall be culturing pods for Draco shortly.

Also installed a 453nm Blue stunner strip for some extra blue.

Thinking of moving Schmoopy the Beta into the contest Pico. Moving the contest Pico to the brand new Pico which is clean and clear. And raising pods in Schmoopys tank which has a small LED light.

Your clown is SO orange! My little guy is kind of blah. He has tiny black dots all through his orange which make him look faded. I hope he outgrows them!

Nice growth on those purdy coralz! Coral magazine has a good article on madarins this month, check it out if you haven't already.

Your clown is SO orange! My little guy is kind of blah. He has tiny black dots all through his orange which make him look faded. I hope he outgrows them!

The black dots could be stings, do you have euphillia in your tank?

Nice growth on those purdy coralz! Coral magazine has a good article on madarins this month, check it out if you haven't already.

That was the January issue which I have misplaced. :( Any chance you can scan and send me the articles?