Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Because it drips everywhere especially on my marble flooring like this primer glue thing.

And they how do you get it perfectly painted all around, and then it looks like butt because it's not even.

No, we are not painting.

IMG_20120706_212811.jpg

Because it drips everywhere especially on my marble flooring like this primer glue thing.

And they how do you get it perfectly painted all around, and then it looks like butt because it's not even.

No, we are not painting.

IMG_20120706_212811.jpg

BECAUSE YOU'RE A NOOOOOOOB

• Like 2

BECAUSE YOU'RE A NOOOOOOOB

Of course I am. :slap: I'm 3 years (okay 3 years 3 months) into this hobby (with my own tank but otherwise 4 years)

I'd say you're new till the 5 year mark.

As for plumbing. Well. Let's not talk about that.

Skimmer is flowing like a faucet, just water, no gunk. Turned it off. What makes it skim that weak all of a sudden?

litter-tray.jpg

oil does like when I do a large mysis feeding

Air intake isnt clogged is it ?

was just typing that when i saw response posted, i have had media bags float in front and get stuck in mine pretty frequently... need to weight them down

Hey hey!!! How was vacation? Slimy slugs make you think of me? :slap: Nice lettuce! Love the ruffles on these guys.

Swap was very low key, the Manhattan one gets packed and is usually hot as hell. I enjoyed the space here to be honest. All the good vendors were there and I've never seen Zooanthids.com before, they had a sick display. I didn't sell many frags, no. I had mostly trades this time, one or two sales including my crocea clam.

Goody Bag:

Blue Kisses Zoa - Cherry Corals

Tangerines zoa - Cherry Corals

Tyree Rouge Millie - Living Reef

Pink Boobies Chalice - Living Reef

My Clementines - Dnov99 - Darren was so cool!

Fruit Loops - Dnov99

Pink Krakatoas - Dnov99

King Midas - Sam (not a vendor)

Hot pink goniopora - Sam

Some orange skirts - Gotham

CAR - Gotham

Vacay in Curaçao was nice. Mostly did a bunch of relaxing/sleeping and some snorkeling. I'll post pics on my thread when I get the chance.

I'm sure most people on nano reef think of you when the word "nudi" comes up ;) . And yeah those guys were pretty sweet, I think the bigger ones were like 3-4 inches. They were munching away on some brown/yellow hair algae.

Nice goodie bag from the meet. And welcome to the goni club! :lol:

Good morning people of the reef. Hopefully today is water change day, it's been percolating for 3 days. :blush:

The autopilot tank is doing a little better than the last 2 weeks. I started seeing bare spots on the underside of the Setosa, Oreo the clam was extremely pissed off, the fuge looked like a slime bomb has gone off. Just a myriad of things.

I started using phosguard about a month ago. I used less than the recommended amount being that it is a new media that my tank has never encountered, you want to go slow. After about 2 weeks I saw the fuge getting gnarly so I added a little more phosguard while still being low or at recommended levels for my tank size. 2 more weeks passed and during these 2 weeks I started noticing the clam trouble and other things. The fuge was even more of a mess and in a crazy fit I put in a few more spoons of phosguard in a stand alone reactor and let it run for a few hours. I used 2 kits to test phosphates prior to doing this - salifer said phosphates were zero (which has NEVER happened in my tank, I mean come on does it look like I run a dirty tank with zero phosphates? pfft) , Red sea said my phosphates were 0.08 which has also NEVER happened during the 2 years of running GFO.

Fine! I shut off all phosguard and switched the standalone reactor to GFO. It took a day or maybe 2, but Oreo the clam is fluffy and happy for the first time in 2 weeks. I'm not confident in phosguard anymore, perhaps it stripped my tank too much, perhaps I did not use enough. The clams response suggests too much stripping (and I also lost a large colony of sunset montipora), but then how did the red sea test kit show 0.08?

Before and after my water change today I'm going to test parameters. But I will not be using phosguard again.

column_Cat-meme_021.jpg

• Like 3

Phosguard can grind itself to dust in a reactor, I always use a bag of it. It is fast, very fast, and I've had issues when using too much. It's best use passive in a bag IMO. Can't tell if that's what you did or not. It also MUST be rinsed well.

I have both the Red Sea and Salifert phosphate kits and both read zip, which ticks me off. Either I'm an idiot and stripped my tank clean or both these kits suck. My useless Hannah phosphate meter will read 0, .03, or 1.3 depending on it's mood.

Sorry about the Sunset monti. Mine would grown, die back a bit, grow even more, rinse and repeat. Perhaps the dieback was Phosguard related? Hard to tell now since they are all under attack by the nudis.

Phosguard can grind itself to dust in a reactor, I always use a bag of it. It is fast, very fast, and I've had issues when using too much. It's best use passive in a bag IMO. Can't tell if that's what you did or not. It also MUST be rinsed well.

I have both the Red Sea and Salifert phosphate kits and both read zip, which ticks me off. Either I'm an idiot and stripped my tank clean or both these kits suck. My useless Hannah phosphate meter will read 0, .03, or 1.3 depending on it's mood.

Sorry about the Sunset monti. Mine would grown, die back a bit, grow even more, rinse and repeat. Perhaps the dieback was Phosguard related? Hard to tell now since they are all under attack by the nudis.

It was in a reactor but stuffed with floss so there was no tumbling. I did rinse it well. My sunset also does the die-resurrect thing. But usually when it does that the colony looks rather gray, this time it is white but I do see some polyps here and there so who knows maybe it's just a different mood swing.

I spoke to cherry corals at my local swap last weekend about the sunset monti doing that, (they had a lovely piece they were selling) and they laughed at me. I said you have to believe me, the coral kills itself and comes back to life, does it at least once every 4-6 months or so. Glad I'm not the only one. Something has to trigger the zooxanthelea expulsion event though, I wonder what it is.

• Like 2

I spoke to cherry corals at my local swap last weekend about the sunset monti doing that, (they had a lovely piece they were selling) and they laughed at me. I said you have to believe me, the coral kills itself and comes back to life, does it at least once every 4-6 months or so. Glad I'm not the only one. Something has to trigger the zooxanthelea expulsion event though, I wonder what it is.

I think Ark's sunset does this as well.

It was in a reactor but stuffed with floss so there was no tumbling. I did rinse it well. My sunset also does the die-resurrect thing. But usually when it does that the colony looks rather gray, this time it is white but I do see some polyps here and there so who knows maybe it's just a different mood swing.

IMO that would be scary efficient, and since Phosguard works so fast until used up I could imagine Phosphates rapidly crashing to 0, then rising a bit, then crashing back to 0 as you add more. /shrug Just a guess.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

IMO that would be scary efficient, and since Phosguard works so fast until used up I could imagine Phosphates rapidly crashing to 0, then rising a bit, then crashing back to 0 as you add more. /shrug Just a guess.

She doesn't believe me when I tell her that or explain why. :rolleyes:

In skimmer news, not sure what is going on but it's still flowing like a faucet. I've had a Toms aqualifter on it all night just to keep it running and to empty the water from the cup. When i put my finger over the venturi, it does down but it's the niagara falls otherwise.

She doesn't believe me when I tell her that or explain why. :rolleyes:

I have no reason not to believe you except for the slimy snot that is covering my fuge.

jedimasterben

I have no reason not to believe you except for the slimy snot that is covering my fuge.

What does the 'slimy snot' look like? Is it cyanobacteria or bacterial films?