Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano in the Ozarks ...

Hognoxious

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very clean set up!!!!!!

I think the stand is sweet.

I would stay with that rock formation. It will take a little longer but it will be epic in the end.

Deleted User 4

mmmmm If I were you, I'd go with dry rocks, I've dealt with live rocks for the most part of my reef years and kind of regret that I did, not that I got any bad hitchhikers but the fact that, if it's a new setup, you should go all out brand new and that's including the rocks you have right now, by the way that rockscape is amazing by far one of the best I've seen in my life. If you could rescape even better with live rocks and you really love live rocks then I guess why not, it's really up to you since it's your tank and taste. :D

Keep your dry rock scape :D You'll end up not being happy with how the live rock looks becuase it won't be as awesome. I did that to myself with my tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Below is a look at my simplified aquascape ...

The original rock structure was created for a 24" cube I was planning and just looked to large in this 19" tank. I think this new 'bonsai-arch' scape offers plenty of room for corals to grow without being right up against the glass. I purposely left a minimum of 4" between the glass and rock on all sides.

This tank was initially intended to be viewable from all four sides but I have changed my mind (don't really have room in my house to do a proper walk-around tank) so I picked up some black vinyl from a sign shop to apply to the back glass.

Should have sand and water in the tank this weekend and get things cycling. :)

rockscapenew.jpg

You have a talent for this, If you are ever in Texarkana let me know. What coral are you planning? I can just see this full of SPS, which I currently have. Best of luck

You have a talent for this, If you are ever in Texarkana let me know. What coral are you planning? I can just see this full of SPS, which I currently have. Best of luck

Thanks!

Plans as far as corals go ... we want to go with less variety and let things grow in over time. With our current tank, I think we bought one of every frag from our LFS and it looks that way! So with this new setup were thinking of plating montipora, a few euphyllia pieces like torch / frogspawn, a couple types of zoanthids and then a few additional pieces that we have never tried to keep like blastos, acans, digitatas, etc.

Thanks for the nice words everyone ...

Looking for suggestions on sand. In our current tank we used 'CaribSea Argonite Argamax Sugar-Sized' and we like it but open to suggestions. We keep a shallow sand bed (less than 1") and like a really white, finer grain sand.

• 5 months later...
Hognoxious
Any updates man???

IIX - thanks for checking in ... :)

Long story short, just as I was planning to cycle the tank with the dry rock, my wife and I decided we needed to sell our house - so instead of having a bare tank sitting in the middle of our house, I transferred over all the live rock and corals from our previous tank. Once we move and get settled I plan on revisiting our original plan and starting the tank over from scratch.

Here is a pic of the tank as it looks now although I did recently replace the Hydor Koralia nano with an MP10 ...

FTS_February2012-1.jpg

Hognoxious
youre tank looks beautiful but that led is bleaching your coral

Yea - I have since dialed the LED's back some since that picture was taken. The Torch coral at the top has grown since being moved over to this tank (was previously under T5's in our old tank) so I believe overall it is doing fine.

Hognoxious
It's beautiful. Love the pristine look on it.

Thanks ... only having 2 fish certainly helps in keeping the tank clean. We've thought about adding more fish but are fairly content with just the pair of clowns.

Deleted User 4
Thanks ... only having 2 fish certainly helps in keeping the tank clean. We've thought about adding more fish but are fairly content with just the pair of clowns.

Ahhh I see. Hope you still have the dry rock scape from last time....that scape was a killer dude.

This current scape is fine but not as great as your dry rock scape ahah. Just being honest with my input. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived