Top Shelf Aquatics

Macro Algae ID

grmoore

I just ordered a piece of this macro algae from LAReefs and was wondering if anyone may have a ID of what it is really called. I've tried Googling it in the past with no luck. Here is a youtube video of what it looks like... any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked around in there, but with no luck. It's not exactly the most user friendly search tool. :P

Yup, I agree....unless you know what it is :lol:

Well I cannot tell you how many web sites I looked through and had opened on my browser :lol: I was actually happy to find some that WERE iridescent in the pictures, not the one your getting but maybe helping to get you closer to a name and some care information. Through all the searching there are some pretty cool looking algae out there! :happy:

They simply called it Lucky Metallic Color Shifting Macroalgae. They know it comes from Fiji, but have been unable to make an ID on it. My order is supposed to arrive tomorrow - hopefully it will be in good shape and I can get it to grow.

I received the algae from LAReefs today and below are a couple of photos of it. I mounted it to a small piece of rubble so I can easily move it around in the tank to find a spot its most happy with. It is definately iridescent - whites, greens, blues and yellows depending on the viewing angle.

2011-12-30%2014-39-44.201.jpg

2011-12-30%2014-41-05.254.jpg

I believe this is a species of Fauchea, but I can't find an image of any that originate in the Fiji/Australiasia areas. It looks quite a bit like Fauchea laciniata, but that is suppose to be on the US Pacific coast. I guess I'll just consider it to be Fauchea and go with that. :)

• 1 year later...

the piece you guys is about 4 of what they sent me.. I'll never buy anything from them ever again. I couldn't believe they had the nerve to send that and the pinky nail sized piece of martian rose to me for the price they charged.

It's a type of dictyota. I have a few types, one that shifts rainbow colors, one that shifts to bright blue, and one that shifts to copper if you view it from the top and baby blue if viewed from the side.

It's a Fauchea sp. from the Fiji area. I couldn't verify the exact species however.

the piece you guys is about 4 of what they sent me.. I'll never buy anything from them ever again. I couldn't believe they had the nerve to send that and the pinky nail sized piece of martian rose to me for the price they charged.

If you bought it recently, they did post the size of the clipping at 1 inch. I've been more than happy with the quality of their clippings - especially given the rarity of some of the species they get in.

It's a Fauchea sp. from the Fiji area. I couldn't verify the exact species however.

If you bought it recently, they did post the size of the clipping at 1 inch. I've been more than happy with the quality of their clippings - especially given the rarity of some of the species they get in.

Now that I looked at it again I have to agree.

Archived