Innovative Marine Aquariums

GE Digital Timer

joeyhatch11

I went to HomeDepot and found an 8 outlet power strip for $20. 4 outlets were constant and the other 4 were on the timer. After messing with the damn thing for over 30 minutes, reading and re-reading the instructions I couldn't get the timer outlets to work to save my life, so I returned it. My question though is, on these digital timers do they allow you to set each outlet for a start/end time? Or are you setting the time for which all 4 outlets will come on and go off?

Also would like to know if there is a website or better place to buy a digital timer that'll allow me to control each outlet for my different lights. Thanks, Joe

I went to HomeDepot and found an 8 outlet power strip for $20. 4 outlets were constant and the other 4 were on the timer. After messing with the damn thing for over 30 minutes, reading and re-reading the instructions I couldn't get the timer outlets to work to save my life, so I returned it. My question though is, on these digital timers do they allow you to set each outlet for a start/end time? Or are you setting the time for which all 4 outlets will come on and go off?

Also would like to know if there is a website or better place to buy a digital timer that'll allow me to control each outlet for my different lights. Thanks, Joe

probably for all 4

I just read a bunch of reviews on the CoralLife timers and also the GE timer on HomeDepots website, all are REALLY bad. So I was waiting for a reply with a web link to something better or I was simply going to go old school and get dial timers for each light. At least that way it'll take the guess work out of knowing if it'll work or not. I'm going to look into the fish-street now, Thanks for the reply. Joe

I just ordered the timer from fish-street. Reviews look great and it gives just enough outlets to do what I need. Plus I love that fact that each outlet can be set for it's own time. Can't wait to get it and set it up. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Joe

Scratch that. Just received email that the power outlet can not be used for US 110v. Looks like old school timer wins this battle.

I just ordered the timer from fish-street. Reviews look great and it gives just enough outlets to do what I need. Plus I love that fact that each outlet can be set for it's own time. Can't wait to get it and set it up. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Joe

Scratch that. Just received email that the power outlet can not be used for US 110v. Looks like old school timer wins this battle.

I'm sorry about that.

I was sure the timer would work in the states too, since I had noticed that it was alot of different sockets in one. I thought it was international... :wacko:

Well, well, the old school timers do their job too, workhorses for sure! :)

No biggie, it is what it is. The small cabinet I built for my 10G nano is now getting a door put on it. I like the idea of an open front but with the new timers being installed I think I'll hide them inside the cabinet and out of sight. But thanks again for your help. Joe

Coral life timer is a piece of ####, tried the analog and digital. I also had one from Lowes, not sure if its the same or not, but it worked just like the coralife digital.. 4 swtiched outlets.. 2 on and 2 off.. ( when one set is on the other is off and vice versa) "ON" on the timer ment the top two were on ( yellow on the CL) "Off" meant the bottom 2 were on ( blue on the CL)

In retrospect, I should have taken the ~$100 or so I spent trying to find reliable timers and put it on an entry level Reefkeeper or Apex controller.

i always used the $6 digital ones from menards (($9 at home depot i think) . they let you do up to 20 programs. you could do 20 a day or 20 spread over the week or just use it to do whatever everyday. they worked well for me, the drawback was the missing ground prong.

now i use my apex jr. my power heads alternate every 30 minutes and i can control it all from my iphone.

I picked up 3 basic timers from HomeDepot for $10 each. I have them set up now and all seems to be working as they should. Thanks guys for the info.

• 3 months later...
I have about 5 different digital timers that dont work. I swear these things get worse and worse.

What would be good to use?

If you wouldn't mind spending $450 then look into APC Switched Rack PDUs. :P

\

We use them at work to remotely power our servers on or off if they freeze. They also tell you the total amp usage and has scheduled timer.

The thing with any of these cheaper timer is they don't have battery back ups to continue where it should.

The digital ones have a built in battery that i got from Target, I had removed it for 1 hour and all the settings was gone and it was left plugged in the night prior. The mechanical continues where it left off.

Seriously, buy a freaking RKL. For the cost of 4 timers and digital thermometer you'll pretty much pay for an RKL, but you'll get all the cross functionality of being able to shut off heater when it overheats. Or your lights if the tank gets too warm for whatever reason, or just the standby mode for your pumps while feeding so you never forget to turn them back on and kill all your fish.

Grumblecakes

i used timers from target, they were about 12$ for 2 at target. they sell two types one of which is a 'weekly' timer and the other is a daily. They worked well until i got water into one of them. I only had them reset if they were unplugged for a few days.

Went to the RKL (and then to RKE) because i wanted a wave maker (plus the other features).

joeyhatch11

I ended up going to HomeDepot and getting old school dial timers. They've been running for months with no problems. The digital timers I thought would be really nice because it would make the wiring job a lot neater. Oh well, I guess you can't win them all.

acropora1981
What is Rkl,RKE? *newbie question*

A brand of aquarium controller. RKL = ReefKeeper Lite, RKE = ReefKeeper Elite. They are made by Digital Aquatics. The RKL is extremely affordable.

Archived