inTank Media Baskets

dtum's JBJ 28g Nanocube LED

dtum

Sumary of all activity for the month of January.

dtum's JBJ Nanocube diary

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Installed JBJ Stand

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Added water

Started using Live sand (20 lbs)

Installed Eb-Jager Heater 100w

Installed Vortech MP10 Powerhead

Installed Powerbar with timer

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Added live sand

Monday, January 9, 2012

Started using Dry Marco Rock (25 lbs)

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Adding bacteria

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Measured Salinity at 1.026 SG

Measured Calcium at 560.0 ppm

Measured Alkalinity at 12.0 dKH

Measured Phosphate at 0.25 ppm

Measured pH at 8.0 pH

Measured Nitrite at 0.0 ppm

Measured Ammonia at 0.5 ppm

Monday, January 16, 2012

Received and tried AquaMaxx HOB-1 Skimmer

Measured Temperature at 79.2 F

Installed Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Measured Nitrite at 0.25 ppm

Measured Temperature at 78.0 F

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Measured Salinity at 1.023 SG

Measured Temperature at 78.6 F

Installed Upgraded media basket

Friday, January 20, 2012

Measured Temperature at 78.6 F

Measured Salinity at 1.0255 SG

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Skimmer has been running for 2 days

Dose ZEOBak 1 drop

Dose ZEOBak 1 drop

Measured Nitrite at 0.4 ppm

Measured Ammonia at 0.0 ppm

Measured Salinity at 1.025 SG

Measured Temperature at 78.4 F

Started using Purigen (100ml)

Monday, January 23, 2012

Dose ZEOBak 1 drop

Dose ZEOBak 1 drop

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dose ZEOBak 1 drop

Dose ZEOBak 1 drop

Measured Temperature at 78.5 F

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ammonia/nitrites are down. Cycle is finished

Dose ZEOBak 1 drop

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dose ZEOBak 1 drop

Dose ZEOBak 1 drop

Friday, January 27, 2012

Replaced the hood with Advanced LED. Installed new media basket with Purigen, Chemi Pure Elite and floss

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Transferred everything from my 10g tank (corals, snails and crabs)

Measured pH at 7.9 pH

Measured Nitrate at 0.0 ppm

Measured Temperature at 79.0 F

Changed 5 gal of water

Added Orange Ricordea (Ricordea florida)

Added Cerith Snail (Cerithium sp)

Added Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (Paguristes cadenati)

Added Green Ricordea (Ricordea yuma)

Added Brain Coral (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi)

Added Torch Coral (Euphyllia glabrescens)

Added Hammer Coral (Euphyllia ancora)

Added Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea furcata)

Added Frogspawn Coral (Euphyllia paradivisa)

Added Xenia (Xenia elongata)

Added Pom Pom Crab (Lybia sp)

Added Banded Trochus Snail (Trochus sp)

Added Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp)

Added Duncan Coral (Duncanopsammia axifuga)

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Hooked up timers and re-organized cords

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Not happy with the refractometer, today it was 5 points off from the start. Went to the store and talked about it.

Frogspawn and torch corals are not doing too well. One side of frogspawn is small.

Measured Nitrate at 0.0 ppm

Measured pH at 7.8 pH

Measured Salinity at 1.023 SG

Measured Temperature at 78.2 F

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Intermedaite 28g nano and am waiting on the delivery of a second tank of the upgraded variety. B)

For corals I have:

Bubble

Hammer

Pipe Organ

Zoas

Richordia

Open Brain

Neon Green Mushroom

Galaxia

and a VERY overgrown Kenya Tree

This tank was started a month before yours and is waiting for the fish to come back to it after an ich outbreak (expensive lesson). The corals above are growing like crazy and coloring up (zoas and bubble) but I haven't put in anything that requires more intensive lighting than what I have - which is WHY I am getting a second tank ;).

I am letting the coraline algae build up on the back wall and the CUC appreciates it immensely ;)

For fish:

Purple firefish (tiny baby)

Yellow Clown Goby

pair of Cinnamon Clowns (small)

I plan to add a sixline as well

Inverts:

2 emerald crabs

I have more shrimp than I would like (coral banded, skunk cleaner, peppermint, and camel), but will split them between the tanks.

Mini Conch from reef Cleaners as well as a CUC for a 23gtank

4 blue legged hermits

Once I get the new tank, I will start a tank thread for that one, but here is my scape (it is going in a corner so 2 walls will be exposed). I specifically made "steppes" for coral distribution which is something I didn't think about on the first scape. There are lots of caves and caverns throughout for the future fish as well.

Sorry, didn't realize this was a tank journal - I clicked a link on the front page ---sooo soooo sorry...damnoob

So glad to see someone doing the same tank at around the same timeframe. I look forward to watching your progress.

Dtum, Looks like you've made some nice changes. I noticed in a couple of your pictures that you had some SPS in the sand, you will want to get them out of the sand or it will cause them to STN from the bottom. Get them mounted to a rock ASAP.

SabaraQ - Not cool to hijack someone's tank journal with pictures of your own tank. If you want to post pictures of your tank start your own thread and link people to it.

Here's the latest FTS

0d09a353.jpg

Brain and Royal Gramma

734d8d6d.jpg

My SPS collection at the top (I still have not attached them permanently)

469e9879.jpg

Hammer Coral 1

35ef4e68.jpg

Hammer Coral 2

abdbbe21.jpg

Royal Gramma and Clown

030ac4d9.jpg

Things are progressing nicely. I can't wait for the coralline algae to take over.

Dtum, Looks like you've made some nice changes. I noticed in a couple of your pictures that you had some SPS in the sand, you will want to get them out of the sand or it will cause them to STN from the bottom. Get them mounted to a rock ASAP.

Thanks, I've had them in the sand only for a day or so, since then they've been placed all the way up at the top. I still can't summon enough courage to detach them from the plate and onto the rock.

Here's the latest batch of photos:

Newly added fire fish

55cf0c9c.jpg

Azure damsel, I was warned that it might get aggressive but it has been very timid.

e17dc37e.jpg

Newly added red starfish next to MP10 and six-line wrasse

85da860b.jpg

Hammer coral and clown

33f2f02e.jpg

Royal Gramma and Brain

5dad8ed0.jpg

Clown and frogspawn

81cca88b.jpg

My SPS collection

d165c895.jpg

I bit the bullet and ordered the controller for my tank. Boy am I happy with this purchase. I went with Apex controller, display, 8-outlet bar, temp and pH (lab grade) probe.

Things are so much easier now:

• No need to turn off individual equipment for feeding
  • Easier and more precise control of lighting
  • Now I can actually use all three types of lighting that I had (before it was only two, since my 3rd light did not have a dedicated timer
  • I now know my pH and how it changes throughout the day: 7.85 in the morning to 8.3 in the evening.
  • Turns out my digital thermometer was off by 1 degree F
  • It can email me if something goes wrong
  • The cabinet is now organized nicely

I went ahead and mounted everything to the walls, now the cabinet is much better organized and there is more free space.

7c10542a.jpg

In a close up of my upper shelf you can see that I've colour-coded each wire with coloured tape. I got this idea from another user - Brad Urbanek. Definitely makes things easier to follow and in case of emergency I can ask someone else to trouble shoot with less risk of a mistake.

2090a8b5.jpg

Things are progressing nicely, but I will refrain from buying and more corals for a while and will focus on my water parameters. My alkalinity is extremely low and I just bought Tropic Marin Pro salt which measures at 6.5 dKH. So until I am going to get a hang of my water parameters and ensure consistency I will not risk any more corals. For example, my zoas are not doing well at all, they keep dying off (SPS are doing great).

I'm starting to suspect that whenever someone says that a particular marine product is "virtually silent", what they really mean is that you won't have to shout when talking to someone while standing by that product. This thing is noisy, it makes gargling and bubbling sounds.

Hey, did the skimmer quiet down at all? I can honestly say that it IS silent on my tank (not a matter of me just learning to ignore the noise) and if it isn't then maybe it's worth looking into sources of the noise/a replacement?

Otherwise, I love the tank! We have much of the same equipment so I look forward to see where you take the tank from here :-)

Hey, did the skimmer quiet down at all? I can honestly say that it IS silent on my tank (not a matter of me just learning to ignore the noise) and if it isn't then maybe it's worth looking into sources of the noise/a replacement?

Otherwise, I love the tank! We have much of the same equipment so I look forward to see where you take the tank from here :-)

Hi, thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately the noise is still there - I am sitting about 10 feet away from it and there's definitely white noise to be heard. I've recently disassembled the whole thing for cleaning but even put back together it still makes the same noise. If I briefly put my finger on the open end of the silencer it disappears, so this seems to be air noise that gets amplified somehow.

Yep, kudos on the setup, I am already yearning for something bigger though. It is a fever. :)

Here are a few of my latest shots:

Latest FTS

a96adcf5.jpg

I have tried my hand at glueing. Tried both epoxy and glue, I think I prefer glue at this point. Still have a lot to learn.

ffad1fd0.jpg

A few additions, here are some red mushrooms

e4537972.jpg

A new ricordea and my favourite red star

c7d09ac7.jpg

Plus I got two acans, this one is green (toxic) :)

57ea2f0b.jpg

Ouch, I've found this blue-eyed hairy crab hiding inside of the yellow-green acropora and he was doing it exceptionally well.

d219f98b.jpg

After some research looks like this is a predator and not a very nice crab.

5 new additions today, they are all frags and one of them was free. :)

Pink Birdsnest

dd8806ea.jpg

Green Yellow Red Zoa

4806a700.jpg

Purple Acro

1b0d201c.jpg

Green Zoa

03b040f1.jpg

Purple Zoa

8baa2a9c.jpg

Well, now I am truly and utterly shocked.

Everything was fine before the lights went off, I've target fed some of my corals and then went away from the tank for a few minutes. Imagine my surprise when I saw the following picture in my aquariums just 10 minutes later.

5a03aa92.jpg

I don't know what to make of it, never even thought that something like that is possible. Here's the video I took right away:

How did it catch the fish? This explains where my Royal Gramma and Clown went, they completely disappeared a week or so ago. I am truly shocked.

I felt really bad for the fish but figured that the coral must have stunned her badly, so there was no point of helping her out.

As a side note, my starfish lost one leg - it just melted off.

79acde18.jpg

oh wow well u have ur self a killer there u gonna get rid of it so u can keep fish again?

Something like that. I did not think that this could even be possible, how do others keep these brain corals? They should come with a warning label.

Now that I am down to 2 fish (six-line wrasse and firefish goby), I need to pick up at least 2 more. I've had Royal Gramma that I really liked, Clown - great fish and Azure Damselfish that I probably won't pick again.

I really like the wrasse, but I guess I can have only one in my cube. Any suggestions for nice additions? I am considering a pair of clowns as an option as well. Looking for something with great personality and easy to look at.

oh wow well u have ur self a killer there u gonna get rid of it so u can keep fish again?

Yep, just sold that coral 20 minutes ago. It did come with a disclaimer, so the guy who bought it from me knew the whole story.

Just added 3 more corals - two hammer corals and one frogspawn (I just can't get enough of those two...)

Found one weird hitchhiker that turned out to be a stomatella snail:

2377e444.jpg

94dbb907.jpg

4aae86ac.jpg

1b0f6f6c.jpg

Took me some time to ID this thing, glad that I did, otherwise it would have ended up in the toilet.

And here is the proper

This one is shot with proper lighting, there's some major restructuring to the rock-work, bunch of coral changes as well.

• 3 months later...

My man!!!!!! I just spent about an hour reading your thread!!!! Great job!!!!! I am thinking of setting up an sps cube!!! How is the tank coming along?

• 1 month later...

Archived