Cultivated Reef

dtum's JBJ 28g Nanocube LED

dtum

Ammonia is still around 0.5. I keep dozing the ZeoBak (1 drop) every day.

I have ordered the Nano Mag by 2 Little Fishies, although not impressed with this thing at first sight - looked tiny, I really liked it once I've put it to test. It uses a very strong magnet and is perfect for curved corners. I am definitely ordering one more for my other tank.

I have received the skimmer last night and have spent my evening trying to figure this thing out. The skimmer is Aquamaxx HOB-1 which I got from goreef.com, extremely speedy delivery in Canada.

It is packaged nicely

5ec7965d.jpg

Although there's quite a few different components it took only 10 minutes to put everything together

2334ccf7.jpg

fc8cf2ec.jpg

It is definitely a tight fit on a JBJ Nanocube, but it fits well in the 4th and 5th chambers. I have cut the intake tube by 2.4 cm to make it easier to open the lid. The return tube needs to be cut by about 1.5 cm which I will do at a later date.

7d9a7e8b.jpg

3416d449.jpg

Overall it fits nicely and primed in about a minute

18105189.jpg

And that's where the headaches have started... This thing is certainly loud.

I'm starting to suspect that whenever someone says that a particular marine product is "virtually silent", what they really mean is that you won't have to shout when talking to someone while standing by that product. This thing is noisy, it makes gargling and bubbling sounds.

The internal pump is silent and there's no buzzing. But you can definitely hear the water and air movement. I am a bit concerned with this and had to turn this off after an hour of running. Going to research my options, some suggest to shorten the return tube and have it pour on to a pad while not being submerged.

Too bad, I was really hoping for a "virtually silent" system.

But it skims very well, the foaming is great and the adjusting is very easy.

91c1e862.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

First off, the skimmer has been running great, it is very powerful and has sucked out a lot of gunk. I am getting used to the noise, it is certainly more of the "white noise" variety. I still think that most of it is produced by the air coming out from the silencer - I can't hear the water flow. If I temporarily block the air valve coming out of the silencer, the noise almost disappears.

I've positioned the return elbow like this:

6bec33f1.jpg

I got the media basket from Brad Urbanek. So far I am really enjoying it, I've loaded it with floss (top), Purigen (middle) and Chemi Pure Elite (bottom).

9229cc63.jpg

86e67aee.jpg

I decided to bite the bullet and just move all of my corals from my 10 gallon tank. Did not want to maintain the two of them. Here are all the corals laid out.

9de65b9d.jpg

Did a little clean up in the tank stand, still looks messy, but this will have to do until I get a proper controller.

387052d6.jpg

And this is what my tank looks like right now during day time.

22ec5842.jpg

My Duncan has closed up couple of days ago and is not opening up. Frogspawn has shrivelled up a bit as well.

My parameters are:

t Salinity PH NH3 NO2 NO3 Ca PO4 KH

78.2 1.025 7.8 0.0 0.0 0.0 500.0 0.0 8.0

I would very much appreciate anybody's comments.

It has been a busy few week, nevertheless here is an update.

I've added quite a few new corals and fish. Some corals have been graciously given to me by a fellow aquariumist with a breathtaking 180 gallon state-of-the-art tank.

eba46054.jpg

I've propped most of the new corals on the sandbed to acclimate.

New frogspawn

f36f4770.jpg

A great piece of live rock with some mushrooms and devil's finger.

c5884565.jpg

SPS coral

3f74b945.jpg

More mushrooms

d602e3dc.jpg

Another SPS

783d2fd0.jpg

Monti

cec1cf56.jpg

New fish

0b113939.jpg

4d68f13a.jpg

a6eb841b.jpg

what app are you using to track your maintenance and params?

I've been using a trial version of a website. If you would like details please PM me.

Here's the latest update on my tank

ScreenShot2012-02-24at92305PM.png

It has been another week, here's an update.

Here's the latest FTS

f0deae02.jpg

Picked up another Hammer Coral frag

d28e64b3.jpg

And a Blue Acropora

1cf9d451.jpg

Some of the other inhabitants

b07b66e5.jpg

07c97f0d.jpg

A Blood Red Shrimp

be9f426f.jpg

First off, the skimmer has been running great, it is very powerful and has sucked out a lot of gunk. I am getting used to the noise, it is certainly more of the "white noise" variety. I still think that most of it is produced by the air coming out from the silencer - I can't hear the water flow. If I temporarily block the air valve coming out of the silencer, the noise almost disappears.

I've positioned the return elbow like this:

6bec33f1.jpg

I got the media basket from Brad Urbanek. So far I am really enjoying it, I've loaded it with floss (top), Purigen (middle) and Chemi Pure Elite (bottom).

3/4" PVC is the same size as the plumbing for the Aquamaxx. I have mine positioned the same exact way on my NC28. If you want it quieter, put the return fitting shaped like a T back on there where your elbow is, with a piece of 3/4" PVC as a down tube. You want the PVC to be flush with water level of the second chamber. Ditch those black reusable filters. They don't really benefit the tank at all. Other than that, Its looking good to go.

3/4" PVC is the same size as the plumbing for the Aquamaxx. I have mine positioned the same exact way on my NC28. If you want it quieter, put the return fitting shaped like a T back on there where your elbow is, with a piece of 3/4" PVC as a down tube. You want the PVC to be flush with water level of the second chamber. Ditch those black reusable filters. They don't really benefit the tank at all. Other than that, Its looking good to go.

I don't think I can put the T back there because it will prevent me from opening the hood high enough. As for the black filters - it is there only to mask the water noise, nothing more.

I forgot that I did have to cut the outlet piece down a little. I think it was about 1/2". After that, you can open the hood to the first notch and the noise is less. I think there is a pic in my thread.

Ouch, only when I pulled the coral out of water I realized how bad this thing smelled. Had no other choice but to do an emergency 20% water change. Measured all parameters but Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates are all at 0.

Note to self: next time a coral is not doing too good - smell it.

After months of pondering I've finally decided to order the Neptune Apex controller (comes with 8 bars, temperature and PH (lab grade) probes). Should have it in about a week, very excited.

Also ordered Elos test kits for PH and Nitrates.

Archived