Pod Your Reef

TheKleinReef

Ya well, if you don't want a screen, I wouldn't tempt fate with any wrasse. My solon fairy and yellow coris wrasses hit the screen top weekly.

If you can get the anthers feeding on the pellets with the AFS, that would be ideal. They are nice fish.

Hmmm. What are some other cool fish. I'd like to have a nice school of something.

jedimasterben

the coral pro was probably just a mixup, i did the same thing before. i think he meant coral+

i don't want it too white, but i'd like to avoid the icy look i have currently with 4 blue+ 1 coral+ 1 purple+. a natural looking combo that will still provide good color is ultimately what i'm looking for.

So right now, it's too blue? I would swap out a Blue Plus for a Coral Plus.

I have the actinic bulb/ The most useless bulb I've ever seen. And I don't even speak Kelvin.

Do you know what it does?

that's why i left the kelvin talk out. i know it'll bug ben. hahah

:P

Hmmm. What are some other cool fish. I'd like to have a nice school of something.

I'm really hesitant to suggest anything because of the whole no top thing :P

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

I'm really hesitant to suggest anything because of the whole no top thing :P

well if there's nothing cool, i have no choice to make a top... list them anyways! :P

So right now, it's too blue? I would swap out a Blue Plus for a Coral Plus.

Do you know what it does?

:P

i don't know if its too blue, its just really cold. if you know what i mean..

if i did that it'd be 3 blue+ 2 coral+ 1 purple+

Well, getting a trio of anthias would be cool to watch then shoal. I also liked AWAPong's pair of dwarf angels. That could be really cool to watch, but that wouldn't really be a shoal, would it? I would stay away form chromis for sure. Cardinals might nice, but bengaiis don't shoal really, but other cardinals do.

TBH, I would go with a trio of anthias or maybe 4-6 cardinals like giga has. They would add some interested to the tank for sure.

TheKleinReef

Well, getting a trio of anthias would be cool to watch then shoal. I also liked AWAPong's pair of dwarf angels. That could be really cool to watch, but that wouldn't really be a shoal, would it? I would stay away form chromis for sure. Cardinals might nice, but bengaiis don't shoal really, but other cardinals do.

TBH, I would go with a trio of anthias or maybe 4-6 cardinals like giga has. They would add some interested to the tank for sure.

hmmmm. either could be pretty cool i think. anthias would probably make my parents happier cause they're more colorful.

TheKleinReef

Roger, how is what your folks are doing for the tank different than what you were doing?

well they cut out all zeovit supplements. and just feed coral food, and a lot of it twice a day.

and they're doing 10G water changes consistently.

that combined with me fixing the ca/alk/mag dosing is making things progress rapidly.

well they cut out all zeovit supplements. and just feed coral food, and a lot of it twice a day.

and they're doing 10G water changes consistently.

that combined with me fixing the ca/alk/mag dosing is making things progress rapidly.

I wonder why stopping the zeovit sups made a difference? I mean, you are not carbon doing or anything. You are only using the foods and whatnot.

TheKleinReef

I wonder why stopping the zeovit sups made a difference? I mean, you are not carbon doing or anything. You are only using the foods and whatnot.

I'm not sure using it ever really made a difference. I was using SP, CV, xtra and pohls.

I'm not sure using it ever really made a difference. I was using SP, CV, xtra and pohls.

Ya... I saw some effects from sponge power, but but I never saw any effects from the others.

TheKleinReef

Ya... I saw some effects from sponge power, but but I never saw any effects from the others.

I'll probably give full Zeo a try in the future just to see. But I like the system that I have going now. It seems to finally be working.

Wheaton, wow, a place I have actually visited when I was young. Grew up in Lombard IL. Great job being ranked that high. :)

I'm a Lombardian! Been here 10 years and in Chicago forever.

I dig your tank Roger.

I'm planning my first reef to be built this summer, glad to see a lot of Chicago area folks on NR.

Go hawks!

Leopard wrasses are cool, but be prepared to lose some/all as I am sure you are aware they have a high mortality rate. Even though leopard wrasses are one of my favs, I vote anthias (if I get a vote lol :P )

TheKleinReef

Leopard wrasses are cool, but be prepared to lose some/all as I am sure you are aware they have a high mortality rate. Even though leopard wrasses are one of my favs, I vote anthias (if I get a vote lol :P )

i had a leopard before, but it made it's way into the overflow box. that thing was a pig. if i got a leopard i would for sure get it from an LFS to make sure it's eating and such. but yes your vote matters a lot! what kind of anthias you think? blotched are pretty cool ;) but at $300 a fish i think they're out of my league. hah.

TheKleinReef

I'm a Lombardian! Been here 10 years and in Chicago forever. I dig your tank Roger. I'm planning my first reef to be built this summer, glad to see a lot of Chicago area folks on NR. Go hawks!

thanks! i'm attempting to get this tank back to acropora capable. next time i go home i'm gonna snag a couple cheap SPS frags and see how they do. the test acro i have now is doing wonderful.

i hope to see your tank build progress on here! :)

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

I've got fabulous stick pictures on my thread. I'm not sure those are even my sticks :lol:

i've actually been drooling over them. :P i've been on mobile a lot recently, and just forget to like posts.

your saramentosa is the lone survivor in the frag tank. it seems like its growing consistently. kinda PO'd i lost the nasuta. I may be getting another frag pack from you soon. ;) once i get the display all squared away.

• Like 1

Aww. The Nasuta is a subulata apparently. It is still 6 shades of awesome. The growth is changing, the tips of the branches are getting thick and branching off more branches. Very exciting.

That seems like a funny sentence. :mellow:

• Like 1

so did you ever figure out the root cause? Glad to see things turning around. Chromis always seem to do ok in a group of 3. Start with 5 and the strong will survive. Any/all/my tank(s) that I see with large chromis always have 3. I'd choose bartlet's over lyretails just based upon aggression alone, but you're gonna need an autofeeder with the anthias.

• Like 1

I'm a Lombardian! Been here 10 years and in Chicago forever. I dig your tank Roger. I'm planning my first reef to be built this summer, glad to see a lot of Chicago area folks on NR. Go hawks!

Wow! :)

11 South Chase is the last house we lived in before moving to Cinci, oh, 25+ years ago, when I started high school. I miss the trains.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

so did you ever figure out the root cause? Glad to see things turning around. Chromis always seem to do ok in a group of 3. Start with 5 and the strong will survive. Any/all/my tank(s) that I see with large chromis always have 3. I'd choose bartlet's over lyretails just based upon aggression alone, but you're gonna need an autofeeder with the anthias.

i think the water was just too clean, and a lack of feedings just caused the SPS to starve out. but i haven't really tested this theory since the only acro i have in the tank is the test acro. so i dk if i actually solved it.

the STN did continue in the frag tank, and i lost alot of coral. probably $400-500 worth. i basically did the same thing to that tank as i did to this: started skimming dry, feeding way more, and reduced the lighting intensity. I'd rather get growth over color right now.

the plan with anthias was to get an auto feeder as well. (assuming i can get them on pellets, if i can't then i'll go a different route)

Aww. The Nasuta is a subulata apparently. It is still 6 shades of awesome. The growth is changing, the tips of the branches are getting thick and branching off more branches. Very exciting.

That seems like a funny sentence. :mellow:

i remember looking up nasuta and i never thought it looked like what you have. but who knows? it's pretty! :D

with all that growth make sure you frag me off a piece, by the time i'm ready for it, it'll be a little mini-colony (i'll pay the mini-colony price too ;) )

• Like 2