Cultivated Reef

I'm driving, plz pm me specifics.

sent, hopefully i have something you're looking for.

It will take over your tank. :) I got mine from my closest LFS. They had a huge piece all bleached out, cut it into 3 large frags and just laid it on their frag rack. I didn't believe it was actually a slimer but for $15 for a piece as big as the one I got, no arguments. It took only a few days to green up, then I moved it and figured out why it's called a green slimer. I swear that slime smell stuck to my hands for a few days.

It's also capable of doing serious harm to aptasias that grow too close, which impressed the hell out of me.

I KNOW! it makes moving it, dipping it, fragging it really frustrating

Should I just wait an see if they color up themselves over the next few weeks/months?

As for the setosa if almost looks like spots were burned off. Very distinct patches missing. I have such bad luck with montipora :(

You could consider swapping one of you ATI blue+ for a ATI Aquablue Special or another Coral+, the ABS bulb has a big peak in the 500nm range, a range used by pigments. Looking at your bulb combination I would say it is too blue overall. Forget what your eye sees because that is subjective, rely on spectral graphs to determine what you are giving your corals.

Regarding the setosa, I would check at night for any pests nipping at it first, just to rule that out. Then I would look at your potassium level with a good test kit. If it is low, it can cause issues with monties in general. If it is high, it can cause burnt tips. Are you dosing K?

Also check Iodine levels, albeit hard to test for. Are you dosing Iodine?

In any case moving it down lower can't hurt for now but it does't sound like it is cause by PAR, maybe PUR though.

Can you snap a close-up picture of the tips of the setosa? and are any other corals showing burt tips?

Sorry for all the questions :)

• Like 1

You could consider swapping one of you ATI blue+ for a ATI Aquablue Special or another Coral+, the ABS bulb has a big peak in the 500nm range, a range used by pigments. Looking at your bulb combination I would say it is too blue overall. Forget what your eye sees because that is subjective, rely on spectral graphs to determine what you are giving your corals.

Regarding the setosa, I would check at night for any pests nipping at it first, just to rule that out. Then I would look at your potassium level with a good test kit. If it is low, it can cause issues with monties in general. If it is high, it can cause burnt tips. Are you dosing K?

Also check Iodine levels, albeit hard to test for. Are you dosing Iodine?

In any case moving it down lower can't hurt for now but it does't sound like it is cause by PAR, maybe PUR though.

Can you snap a close-up picture of the tips of the setosa? and are any other corals showing burt tips?

Sorry for all the questions :)

i got the bulb combo from asureef, that's why went with the bulbs i did.

i'm not dosing potassium or idoine

setosa is in the bottom 10" of the tank.

no pics as of right now.

• Like 1

i got the bulb combo from asureef, that's why went with the bulbs i did.

i'm not dosing potassium or idoine

setosa is in the bottom 10" of the tank.

no pics as of right now.

I would check at least the K level, always a good practice when SPS keeping corals. Not dosing it means it could be low which might explain your difficulty keeping Montipora sp. Iodine is just something I dose very sparingly, just to make sure there is enough in the tank. When ever I test for total iodine I get 0.01ppm (should be 0.06ppm), but I don't trust the test kits either so I dose it sparingly.

• Like 1

I would check at least the K level, always a good practice when SPS keeping corals. Not dosing it means it could be low which might explain your difficulty keeping Montipora sp. Iodine is just something I dose very sparingly, just to make sure there is enough in the tank. When ever I test for total iodine I get 0.01ppm (should be 0.06ppm), but I don't trust the test kits either so I dose it sparingly.

Will do thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

Check your alk., when I ran zeovit my setosa did poorly until I bumped the alk. to 8dkh and it bounced back.

I'm with Nanotopia, your corals look pale and I don't think adding high grade carbon/GFO is going to help.

• Like 1

Check your alk., when I ran zeovit my setosa did poorly until I bumped the alk. to 8dkh and it bounced back.

I'm with Nanotopia, your corals look pale and I don't think adding high grade carbon/GFO is going to help.

I never have a low nutrient problem. I guess it's better than too many nutrients. I'll beef up the feeding and not run GFO.

edit: i think it may be an alk problem. i've always had trouble keeping alk above 7.5. hopefully increasing the dose will get the alk up. 7.0 is just too "on the fence for me." its working fine on the frag tank, but the 65 doesn't seem to react well to the low alk level...

i.

might.

have.

redbugs.

ugh. i dip everything!

from what i can tell it's only one colony ( and of course it's my favorite A. Suharsonoi)

i have revive, and iodine on hand, but first things first, how can i make sure they're redbugs take the colony out and use a magnifying glass i'm assuming... i see no tissue necrosis, but a lot of encrusting...

advice? please? :/

i.

might.

have.

redbugs.

ugh. i dip everything!

from what i can tell it's only one colony ( and of course it's my favorite A. Suharsonoi)

i have revive, and iodine on hand, but first things first, how can i make sure they're redbugs take the colony out and use a magnifying glass i'm assuming... i see no tissue necrosis, but a lot of encrusting...

advice? please? :/

I would use either Bayer Advanced or the Revive. Iodine I have found is really harsh on smooth skinned acros.

I just dipped all my acros in Bayer. Use the concentrate, not the hose version. 6ml per Cup for 10 minutes. Double rinse, and preferably put in a qt tank for 6 to 8 weeks.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Very happy. Amazing light. Should've gone T5 from the get go! Just this week got caught up to the 2 part consumption thanks to the explosion of growth.

Waiting for the colors to come around.

Very happy. Amazing light. Should've gone T5 from the get go! Just this week got caught up to the 2 part consumption thanks to the explosion of growth.

Waiting for the colors to come around.

I didn't notice a spike in 2 part consumption....

actually i just tested today and my Ca only dropped 15ppm in a week, which is about the same as my old 29g system.

as for color, i'm not so sure i have the right bulb combo for coral color. I might need to switch it up a bit next bulb swap.