Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

jedimasterben

QT? Nah. Desperate times, my friend. :D

Where did you read/hear about this? Is there a writeup somewhere?

On his FB page. He has more money in fish in that tank than we have ever had in our lifetimes combined, so putting anything in there is a risk I doubt he would take lol

What he lost after MACNA (his chiller died):

Pair of spawning joculator angels

Male Bellus from the spawning trio

Pair of Golden Angels

Female Femininus Wrasse

Mauritius Jewel Wrasse

Xenojulius Wrasse

Pair of Black Cap Basslets

Male long nose hawk fish

Yellow assessor

4 anthias

Pair of spawning black Photons

Gem tang

And this is what he pulled out that day he got back.

1269473_10151888220120329_131162022_o.jp

But his war with AEFW has gone on before and after that, though.

On his FB page. He has more money in fish in that tank than we have ever had in our lifetimes combined, so putting anything in there is a risk I doubt he would take lol

What he lost after MACNA (his chiller died):

Pair of spawning joculator angels

Male Bellus from the spawning trio

Pair of Golden Angels

Female Femininus Wrasse

Mauritius Jewel Wrasse

Xenojulius Wrasse

Pair of Black Cap Basslets

Male long nose hawk fish

Yellow assessor

4 anthias

Pair of spawning black Photons

Gem tang

And this is what he pulled out that day he got back.

1269473_10151888220120329_131162022_o.jp

But his war with AEFW has gone on before and after that, though.

Oh man... that sucks. Ya... I was just joshing ya about the wrasses. Sucks too see all those dead colonies.

Peeling is not good. Can you superglue to stop it?

It's basically gone now. Just one little top left on the Mille. The tenuis seems to have stopped peeling. A dip probably wouldn't help right? I'm doing a barrage of test right now.

results:

alk: 7.3

ca: 420

mg: 1380

no pH probe

no p04 test

I am wondering if there was a difference in nutrients between Kats water and yours. It could also have been temperature related also, it is winter. In any case, sorry to here, these things happen sometime. Kat can grow you some more :P

It's basically gone now. Just one little top left on the Mille. The tenuis seems to have stopped peeling. A dip probably wouldn't help right? I'm doing a barrage of test right now.

results:

alk: 7.3

ca: 420

mg: 1380

no pH probe

no p04 test

Shaggy the Dog had been healed for over a month :(

It could be weather related even though everything was shipped overnight with a 40 hour heat pack.

• Like 1

I have some po4 test kits you can have If you want them. You'd need to pick them up though.

Nah it's okay. I think I'm getting better at judging phosphate by eye. Right now I can tell I don't have enough. Haha

Shaggy the Dog had been healed for over a month :(

It could be weather related even though everything was shipped overnight with a 40 hour heat pack.

The water wasn't too cold. And I took a while to acclimate them to the temperature, longer and slower than usual (1hr total). I did my normal routine when acclimating coral from cold water. Could that have been why?

I am wondering if there was a difference in nutrients between Kats water and yours. It could also have been temperature related also, it is winter. In any case, sorry to here, these things happen sometime. Kat can grow you some more :P

This could very well be it. My system is a little... Deprived of nutrients which Kat's is not. I'm just not sure why only 2 went down hill rather than all four...

On order from BRS:

Red Sea Potassium Pro Test Kit

Elos Extra Potassium+

Pohl's Extra Special

KZ Sponger Power Concentrate

Pohl's Coral Vitalizer

KZ Pohl's B-Balance

I hope this helps. I can't believe i'm actually running a potentially ULNS without zeovit/biopellets. I feed a lot and haven't done a water change in 2.5 weeks.

• Like 1

how do you know your system is deprived of nutrients?

i described my tanks symptoms and Nanotopia and Asureef said they were common signs of LNSs.

SPS are pale, i don't have any algae (i haven't even cleaned the glass in 2 or so weeks), and my refugium algae that used to grow like a weed is still the same size as it was.

granted i know i don't have a test kit, but just visually comparing the 65 to the frag tank i can tell that the frag tank has way more nutrients in the system than the 65.

• Like 2

I had this same thing happen a couple of years ago. My nutrients were really low, too low, I added a really nice teunis frag and within two days the tissue was flaking off. I later realized the tank it came from was running high nutrients at the time I bought it. It is amazing how low PO4 can shock corals when they are not acclimated to it (I mean an acclimation of a few days or weeks). Fluctuation in ALK can cause stress as well, not to mention temperature.

I always ask now, if I am buying a frag or colony, what the sellers params are so I know what I am up for.

I wouldn't take it too hard though, these things just happen once and a while, I have lost my fair share of frags and corals over the years.

I had this same thing happen a couple of years ago. My nutrients were really low, too low, I added a really nice teunis frag and within two days the tissue was flaking off. I later realized the tank it came from was running high nutrients at the time I bought it. It is amazing how low PO4 can shock corals when they are not acclimated to it (I mean an acclimation of a few days or weeks). Fluctuation in ALK can cause stress as well, not to mention temperature.

I always ask now, if I am buying a frag or colony, what the sellers params are so I know what I am up for.

I wouldn't take it too hard though, these things just happen once and a while, I have lost my fair share of frags and corals over the years.

i guess it makes sense then. cause it took 2 days to fully TN. :( it's just weird that 2 survived, while 2 didn't.

i feel so bad about losing SPS that i actually keep most of the skeletons in an old vertex vessel box. haha

• Like 1

i described my tanks symptoms and Nanotopia and Asureef said they were common signs of LNSs.

SPS are pale, i don't have any algae (i haven't even cleaned the glass in 2 or so weeks), and my refugium algae that used to grow like a weed is still the same size as it was.

This is it. Although I don't know if a coral could starve and die in a day or two. It would fade over time. Are you running GFO?

Gosh I have the highest nutrient tank there ever existed. But would that only affect 2 of the 4 corals? The Nasuta which is far more sensitive than my millepora is still doing well I think. The Millepora that died is like a roach it is so hardy.

• Like 1

This is it. Although I don't know if a coral could starve and die in a day or two. It would fade over time. Are you running GFO?

Gosh I have the highest nutrient tank there ever existed. But would that only affect 2 of the 4 corals? The Nasuta which is far more sensitive than my millepora is still doing well I think. The Millepora that died is like a roach it is so hardy.

i am running 6 tbsp of HCGFO passively. (which i have been debating removing)

and yep, the nasuta and saramentosa are doing wonderful, still have their color and decent polyp extension.

• Like 1

i guess it makes sense then. cause it took 2 days to fully TN. :( it's just weird that 2 survived, while 2 didn't.

i feel so bad about losing SPS that i actually keep most of the skeletons in an old vertex vessel box. haha

Every coral is different and their tolerance levels also vary, some react fast to issues and others slower. Yes it is possible for a completely healthy frag/coral to loose tissue in a couple of days, it's called RTN. In fact, it can happen in an hour. If a coral is stressed to the limit (It's limit) it will bail out. Many things can cause this with SPS but sudden changes are often the reason. Corals can adapt to many different parameters if the changes are very slow, this includes temperatures. If a bag is at 74 degrees and you acclimate it up to 79 degrees in a short time, it can cause shock. That with a big change in nutrients can send it over the edge. Every coral is different, but I would keep a close eye on the other two corals that seem to be doing well ATM.

Every coral is different and their tolerance levels also vary, some react fast to issues and others slower. Yes it is possible for a completely healthy frag/coral to loose tissue in a couple of days, it's called RTN. In fact, it can happen in an hour. If a coral is stressed to the limit (It's limit) it will bail out. Many things can cause this with SPS but sudden changes are often the reason. Corals can adapt to many different parameters if the changes are very slow, this includes temperatures. If a bag is at 74 degrees and you acclimate it up to 79 degrees in a short time, it can cause shock. That with a big change in nutrients can send it over the edge. Every coral is different, but I would keep a close eye on the other two corals that seem to be doing well ATM.

will do. i just have to treat these redbugs first... ugh. right now i can't see any, but i'm going to dip the ones that need it. i'd rather not treat the tank with interceptor. i may end up going the QT route.. i have my old 10g and 29g...

• Like 1

I am running about half a cup of GFO in my tank in a BRS reactor, but had to build up to that pretty slowly. Started wit 2 tablespoons and added an extra table spoon every other GFO change. This did not seem to effect the corals negatively in anyway.

I am running about half a cup of GFO in my tank in a BRS reactor, but had to build up to that pretty slowly. Started wit 2 tablespoons and added an extra table spoon every other GFO change. This did not seem to effect the corals negatively in anyway.

i started at 3 tbsp then worked my way up to 6, adding 1 tbsp per week. plus its all passive, not in a reactor.