Innovative Marine Aquariums

TheKleinReef

so i was reading up on how to lower my pH. turns out not lighting my refugium would help.

so i turned the fuge lights off from 7am-8pm. and the pH has already dropped to 8.46 from 8.56.

gonna monitor how this effects the natural pH swings. hopefully i can keep it under 8.4.

• Like 1

side note, this tank is likely getting a chiller. the swing from 78-84 is just insane.

i went to the JBJ site to figure out what size i need, looks like a 1/5th horsepower is the size they recommend.

This also points to lack of surface agitation. Do you have a fan in the sump blowing on the water to cool it off? That could help both the high PH and temperature issue.

TheKleinReef

This also points to lack of surface agitation. Do you have a fan in the sump blowing on the water to cool it off? That could help both the high PH and temperature issue.

i actually didn't even think of a fan.... doh! maybe i'll look into that first.

pH is currently 8.29 so just turning off the fuge lights helped. but the fan i'll need for temp control for sure

• Like 1

i actually didn't even think of a fan.... doh! maybe i'll look into that first.

pH is currently 8.29 so just turning off the fuge lights helped. but the fan i'll need for temp control for sure

Go cheap plastic clip on fan, Walmart special. Get a couple of them as they seem to get gunked up pretty quick. Mine is still going strong, but it's gotten filthy a lot faster than I expected.

• Like 1

Clip on fans do the trick but I always try to use PC fans if possible, they tend to cost a little more but I have found that they last a lot longer due to the blade design and the design of the motors. A lot of the newer fans use fluid bearings so the bearings aren't directly in contact with the salty air which A makes them quieter and B prevents corosion for longer. All you need to power them is an old phone charger :).

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

pH is currently at 8.01 previously at 9am the pH would be around 8.3 then climb to almost 8.6. Looks like running the refugium on a reverse lighting schedule than the disay is helping in that regard. Temp is also back down to 79.8.

Mr. Microscope

i can't wait for my little mille frag to look like that!

14372654670_60a4e49b8f.jpgRMK_0433.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

Don't do it Klein! You'll end up with only encrustation on your back wall. I've run one too many experiments mounting frags to my back wall. I think if you did it with a mature colony it might work. My stylo worked okay, but my milli (prostrata?) and digi frags did nothing but encrust out and out.
  • Like 1
TheKleinReef

Are you still using carbonate only for your ALK ?

yeah, i decided switching it the day before i left was not a smart choice. so the water changes are now larger to help compensate.

Don't do it Klein! You'll end up with only encrustation on your back wall. I've run one too many experiments mounting frags to my back wall. I think if you did it with a mature colony it might work. My stylo worked okay, but my milli (prostrata?) and digi frags did nothing but encrust out and out.

any encrusting sps > big black box.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Rainbow montipora would look phenomenal as an encrusting coral

I've stuck frags with magnets but never glued them to my back wall.

i could never find any locally. :/ i'd like to get some zoas/palys to mount there, but they just don't grow for me

TheKleinReef

Fair enough. I'm just saying you may never get any branching out of it.

it's already growing a new outward branch. but i have 3 of these mille frags mounted in various places. so odds are one will table out. ;)

• Like 1

yeah, i decided switching it the day before i left was not a smart choice. so the water changes are now larger to help compensate.

I ask because you mentioned that your pH is a bit high, if you switch to 50/50 carbonate and bicarbonate your Alk should stay more in range.

TheKleinReef

I ask because you mentioned that your pH is a bit high, if you switch to 50/50 carbonate and bicarbonate your Alk should stay more in range.

pH is maxing out at 8.25 now that i turned the refugium lights off.

• Like 2
TheKleinReef
TheKleinReef

did another facetime with the 'rents. everything looks okay. i couldn't tell if the slimer is necrosis or encrusting. but since every other sps is showing very clear signs of growth (even through a bad iphone camera) i'm gonna assume it's growth until i get some legit pictures. hopefully those come soon. they've been making me wait... -_-

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...