Top Shelf Aquatics

Firstly; Clean your glass. :lol: Why are you losing sticks now? Everything was going so well. Lack of daytime PE is likely down to the Flame Angel. My PE sucked when I had the Flame.

TheKleinReef

What's going on with the Echinata?

no clue. just tested everything

ca: 400

alk: 6.1 (has only been dosed 14mL today, but this is likely the problem) had a huge consumption spike. normally it tests at 6.5 before the 2nd dose.

mg: 1300

pH: 8.2

temp: 78.2

SG: 1.026

Firstly; Clean your glass. :lol: Why are you losing sticks now? Everything was going so well. Lack of daytime PE is likely down to the Flame Angel. My PE sucked when I had the Flame.

i did a few days ago. looks a lot better now.

also just noticed my purple crocea is retracted into the shell. :( i didn't even change or meddle with anything! except the skimmer... i'm cursed i swear.

TheKleinReef

Has to be hand lotion, you use hand lotion?

nope. i just woke up and found the skimmer going crayyyyy

side note: it took 14mL to get alk back to 6.8 (the low end at where i like my alk).

so i upped the doser by 8mL. if it's lower than 7.0 tomorrow i'll raise it some more.

current dosing regimen:

alk: 36mL ml per day

ca: 36mL per day

^^glad these two are lining up for once though.

TheKleinReef

Tested again. Alk is at 6.1! Agh. An 8mL increase and it still fell! Upped the Doser to 40mL per day. I must have had a huge consumption spike because I don't see any precipitation and the corals all look amazing (aside from the Hawkins). Gonna test later tonight to see if it maintains it or it drops. Then again tomorrow.

Since the tank was fairly rock stable while you were gone it might pay to go over exactly what changed since you got back. I know my Alk seemed to stay stable no matter how much I increased the dosage, which I found suspicious. I finally think I've stabalized in the low to mid 8's but I'm still wondering if I'm losing some to precipitation somewhere.

TheKleinReef

Since the tank was fairly rock stable while you were gone it might pay to go over exactly what changed since you got back. I know my Alk seemed to stay stable no matter how much I increased the dosage, which I found suspicious. I finally think I've stabalized in the low to mid 8's but I'm still wondering if I'm losing some to precipitation somewhere.

going over the log there's a pretty gradual drop a few days. normally its 6.8 at 1pm and yesterday it was 6.1 so it's not that drastic of a drop, but stilla drop nontheless. I'll update you after 24H of the new dosing regimen. I think it should be okay. but i gotta admit dosing 40mL of alk/ca makes alot more sense than 28mL due to my stocking.... hah i did add 3 new coral last week, and 5 just now.

TheKleinReef

NANO REEF MEETUP SUMMARY:

I had a lot of fun meeting the people behind the usernames! Chatting about coral and tactics was kinda fun!

I couldn't find homes for those 2 big monti colonies so I asked Brian if he could take them off my hands, and he gave me some credit towards a beautiful maricultured A. tenuis which was awesome of him.

But here are the new goodies!

From Mr. Microscope! Pics within the minute of putting them in.

(There's a Palmer's Blue Mille which i forgot to take a picture of too! derp.)

16001136818_271ae3c309_b.jpg_RMK1764.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

15566198574_9ed0d48d7f_b.jpg_RMK1765.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

16002528439_bfd86ca8df_b.jpg_RMK1766.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

And the Maricultred Tenuis:

15566193764_80679c67fc_b.jpg_RMK1770.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

16001131698_5589792287_b.jpg_RMK1768.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

16001133148_378428a20f_b.jpg_RMK1772.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

Man, even in the mid 6s your DkH is too low IMO. Min should be 7.

well, looking back at the log my tank likes to hover between 6.8 and 7.2 dKH at 1pm.

but i agree I'd like to keep it at 7.0-7.5 dKH.

(hence me adjusting the doser)

just tested alk. its 7.0 dKH... and the doser dosed 20mL in between the two tests. looks like i have to adjust the doser a bit. but i'm gonna wait 24H and see how much.

• Like 5

Did you open a new container of salt recently? Within the past 4 water changes or so?

I recently lost nearly all my corals to a bad batch of salt - had some impurity in it. Since I change just a bit at a time, nothing got really bad til after a few waterchanges. My testable parameters were in range. When I did some big water changes with a new salt the survivors recovered.

TheKleinReef

Did you open a new container of salt recently? Within the past 4 water changes or so?

I recently lost nearly all my corals to a bad batch of salt - had some impurity in it. Since I change just a bit at a time, nothing got really bad til after a few waterchanges. My testable parameters were in range. When I did some big water changes with a new salt the survivors recovered.

nope, i'm about halfway through this bucket of aquavitro salinity, and it gets tipped and mixed every time.

then again i'm not really having any major problems, just some STN on the hawkins and a lower than ideal alk. but i think since ca and alk are both low together, this is the begining of a consumption spike becasue literally everything besides the hawkins has growth tips. and i'm about to do some growth comparison from pics to see if i'm correct.

Love love love that tenuis. Blue tenuis corals are on my must have list, but the pictures always look so much more royal blue than the actual coral. Your colony looks a lot closer to what I normally see at the LFS.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

the closeup picture is pretty accurate in colors. Tenuis have been cursed for me in the past, 2 frags (one from you) melted away within days. hopefully that doesn't happen to this one. i'm already seeing some PE (which will stop soon, darn flame angel).

TheKleinReef
Looking good. :) Out of curiosity, what does a maricultured colony like that Tenuis cost over there? They're about $35-50 here depending on where you shop.

Depending on the size, anywhere from $45 to $200.

I got a nice discount on this one and paid $45.

• Like 1

How long has it been since you cleaned the air intake at the venturi? When it gets clogged with precipitation or dry salt it limits the air intake to the pump and causes the skimmer to overflow. I would check that first. :)

Happy new year!

TheKleinReef

How long has it been since you cleaned the air intake at the venturi? When it gets clogged with precipitation or dry salt it limits the air intake to the pump and causes the skimmer to overflow. I would check that first. :)

Happy new year!

The skimmer was on the tank for a total of a week before it went berserk, but it seems to be doing just fine now. I just kept emptying the cup and kept an eye on the salinity.

Happy new year to You as well!

• Like 1

The skimmer was on the tank for a total of a week before it went berserk, but it seems to be doing just fine now. I just kept emptying the cup and kept an eye on the salinity.

Happy new year to You as well!

Oh okay :) So probably just something in the water temporarily that cleared on it's own. Tank is looking really nice Roger :)

TheKleinReef

Oh okay :) So probably just something in the water temporarily that cleared on it's own. Tank is looking really nice Roger :)

Thanks Christine. Hopefully testing the water today will help me lock in the doser settings before i leave tomorrow. After inspecting many of the corals I'm seeing great growth, and the previous 28mL Ca/alk couldn't keep up, neither could the boost from 28 to 36, hopefully 40mL per day is the sweet spot!

• Like 1

Thanks Christine. Hopefully testing the water today will help me lock in the doser settings before i leave tomorrow. After inspecting many of the corals I'm seeing great growth, and the previous 28mL Ca/alk couldn't keep up, neither could the boost from 28 to 36, hopefully 40mL per day is the sweet spot!

I hope so too, must be stressful to be away from this tank for such long periods at a time, I couldn't do it personally :unsure: Kudos to you!

TheKleinReef

I hope so too, must be stressful to be away from this tank for such long periods at a time, I couldn't do it personally :unsure: Kudos to you!

It's stressful for me. But my parents really enjoy having the tank. Hah

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

Pulled the crocea. After 980 days it diminished in the 16 days I was home.... Wow.

Positives. STN seemed to have stopped on the Hawkins and the tank has stayed stable ag 7.0 for 24 hours with the new doser. Gonna bump it to 7.5 tonight and maintain that level.

• Like 1