SaltCritters.com

Who's brad? Lol.

Nope this is a display replacement.

LOL Crap, I got coral on the brain... sorry

40B, no drilling? what gives, AIO tank ?

You has some splanin' to do

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

LOL Crap, I got coral on the brain... sorry

40B, no drilling? what gives, AIO tank ?

You has some splanin' to do

Same sump, overflow box, lights. Just adding another mp10. And some more fish. Hah nothin crazy. I just need a bigger glass box. :P

I say drill, I have recently had issues with overflow boxes. BRS sells the diamond bits quite cheap, I bought two a while ago for my ADA build, 35mm and 45mm. Which Overflow are you using?

TheKleinReef

I say drill, I have recently had issues with overflow boxes. BRS sells the diamond bits quite cheap, I bought two a while ago for my ADA build, 35mm and 45mm. Which Overflow are you using?

CPR. I'm not gonna drill. Just clean improve the box.

CPR. I'm not gonna drill. Just clean improve the box.

CPR = Devil for me, never again. Nearly killed my tank last month, I no longer sleep well at night.

TheKleinReef

CPR = Devil for me, never again. Nearly killed my tank last month, I no longer sleep well at night.

Mine hasn't caused any problems. I just have to Clean out the tubing every few weeks.

• Like 1

Mine hasn't caused any problems. I just have to Clean out the tubing every few weeks.

Very important yes.

Hopefully it runs smooth for you.

TheKleinReef

Very important yes.

Hopefully it runs smooth for you.

I'm sure it will. Ever since I swapped out that crap lifter pump out for the rio I haven't had any problems. But I do get super lucky in this hobby haha.

• Like 1
BattleAthletics

I'm having a huge aptasia problem. I've tried aptasia x but I can't keep up. I need something to nerd them all at once. Same with the Xenia that's all over my rock. I'm debating getting one of those lasers....

Boil some di water and with a baster or anything needlish bast the fukc out of the aiptasia,then when they let go suck them up, or go the shrimp route.

TheKleinReef

I've committed to a tank. A deep sea aquatics Neo 65 rimless. It's just what I need. I'm over the 40B. Lol I saw it in person again I all I thought about was having some depth.

B3CD1269-67D1-4642-95A8-B2327E2B69F4-233

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Something's wrong with my brain. It's happened before and I dd exactly the same thing today (9drops of iodine in 1 quart if tank water) I'm just so baffled on what's happening. It's not competing with any other coral, it has its own spot in the tank clear from any others. Any ideas?

A67DB70C-B654-495B-AC7F-335A4E12C88A-279

Something's wrong with my brain. It's happened before and I dd exactly the same thing today (9drops of iodine in 1 quart if tank water) I'm just so baffled on what's happening. It's not competing with any other coral, it has its own spot in the tank clear from any others. Any ideas?

A67DB70C-B654-495B-AC7F-335A4E12C88A-279

It is a stress response, when it throws out its guts like that. A hermit or snail falling on it can also trigger such a response. A dip is not necessary IMO as it is not sick but maybe Lawnman can help you better since wellsos are his thing.

Increase your carbon, it may have it's own space but chemical warfare signals are in the water column.

TheKleinReef

It is a stress response, when it throws out its guts like that. A hermit or snail falling on it can also trigger such a response. A dip is not necessary IMO as it is not sick but maybe Lawnman can help you better since wellsos are his thing.

Increase your carbon, it may have it's own space but chemical warfare signals are in the water column.

I only dipped it because that's what i did last time and it snapped out of it within days. I just put in fresh carbon yesterday. so hopefully that helps.

thanks so much kat!

TheKleinReef

Everything seems to be snapping back. The brain got hit the hardest. But all of the LPS are beginning to puff back up again. This is not exactly what i wanted to happen weeks before i upgrade....

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

Sorry to hear this, do you know what did this?

Kat thinks it was some chemical warfare. I took out carbon for a few weeks to see if the system could handle it. Obviously it can't. So I'm back to running 2 cups of carbon to clean the water back up. I'll bring it back down this weekend. The plate, elegance, and brain went to the frag tank (I turned one of the halides off) and everything is getting better except the brain. Hopefully it pulls through its my mom's favorite coral, and one of my favorites as well, So I have to try and save it.

Lesson learned: run carbon when you have a crowded tank.

• Like 2

I always run carbon, I see my Leptastrea battling it out with an Favia now and then and I still have the 6 hydnophora frags I need to get out of the tank. My Wellso has never been affected, PE in general is pretty good these days. I think you can use too much carbon in a tank, easily strip out all the good stuff, it's all about balance. BTW, what carbon are you using and how do you use it?

TheKleinReef

I always run carbon, I see my Leptastrea battling it out with an Favia now and then and I still have the 6 hydnophora frags I need to get out of the tank. My Wellso has never been affected, PE in general is pretty good these days. I think you can use too much carbon in a tank, easily strip out all the good stuff, it's all about balance. BTW, what carbon are you using and how do you use it?

I use bright well aquatics pellet carbon. I've been using it forever. Right now i have 2 cups (25% increase than usual) running it passively in a high flow chamber in my sump.

I use bright well aquatics pellet carbon. I've been using it forever. Right now i have 2 cups (25% increase than usual) running it passively in a high flow chamber in my sump.

The BW pellets are too big, not much total surface area, don't like. I am not a big fan of Seachem but their Matrix carbon is pretty good, I use it on my pico tank and will likely use it on my new ADA build. I use KZ carbon on my 20g, it's not aggressive like say ROX carbon. Passive is good but you need a little more product that way and you have to give it a shake every day or two to get the detritus off.

I have seen warfare in my tank and it never caused the kind of issues you describe, could it be something else, maybe a toxin that was introduced accidentally? It can happen easily, something on your hands or in the air, doesn't take much if the toxin is strong. Just a thought :)

Christine

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

I have seen warfare in my tank and it never caused the kind of issues you describe, could it be something else, maybe a toxin that was introduced accidentally? It can happen easily, something on your hands or in the air, doesn't take much if the toxin is strong. Just a thought :)

Christine

Then I feel like my sps and clams would be affected first. Regardless everything is getting better in the 29. The brain is the only thing bad now. So I think the worst has passed.

Thanks for the tip on carbon as well. But If it ain't broke don't fix it. :P hah

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

CHAPTER 2: THE DSA NEO 65

Its official. the 29 is getting upgraded to a DSA NEO 65. 36x20x21.

here's the stand built:

A86CFD4E-7FBA-45D6-BA89-057F115395FA-355

One coat of kilz (i missed a board :0)

F5E46903-6054-41E0-8A29-A57191BD980F-355

second coat:

5EEDE544-D5F0-47B4-824A-AD5427712AEA-363

this will be skinned out in real wood and will match our kitchen:

9376B85F-A7B4-4321-9DC0-B2E32A8B4BE7-363

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

here's the plan:

1. order new display tank

2. finish the stand

3. buy 20L temporary tank for fish.

4. take damsel and banded shrimp to LFS

5. move all coral to the frag tank.

6. clean the xenia out of my system with FIRE (muahahah)

7. chip the sps off the dense long piece of cultured LR

8. Drain 29

9. Clean Sand

10. setup new 65

11. cycle it

12. move everything back to display.

13. new radion & new mp10wes

• Like 2

here's the plan:

1. order new display tank

2. finish the stand

3. buy 20L temporary tank for fish.

5. move all coral to the frag tank.

6. clean the xenia out of my system with FIRE (muahahah)

7. chip the sps off the dense long piece of cultured LR

8. Drain 29

9. Clean Sand

10. setup new 65

11. cycle it

12. move everything back to display.

13. new radion & new mp10wes

#4=Best part of the plan, the rest seems good also :)

• Like 2