Pod Your Reef

Nice tank and posts! If you're looking to trade that Galaxia for something, I can send you a 12" frag of photosynthetic Purple Gorgonian that grows like a weed and had good polyp extension. I'm in the Philadelphia area (unfortunately). Let me know...

Nice tank and posts! If you're looking to trade that Galaxia for something, I can send you a 12" frag of photosynthetic Purple Gorgonian that grows like a weed and had good polyp extension. I'm in the Philadelphia area (unfortunately). Let me know...

Thanks for those kind words :)

Your offer is very tempting, but my galaxae has been banished to the sand bed. I'll keep it for now, but I will keep you offer in mind.

Looks really good, thanks for sharing the pics and details. Love that birdsnest. I can't decide between that one or the Bird of Paradise.

I'd like every birdsnest color variants. I want them all! Hahah

• 2 weeks later...
Hey this is a real nice tank. How do you rate the radion interns of sps colour? Corals are growing nicely. Look forward to more photos.

Thanks!

if i were to rate color and growth:

growth: 10/10

color: 6-7/10

color.... well it depends on the corals. any coral that is red hates the leds. the reds, pinks, and oranges just don't seem to get as vibrant. But the green, blue, and purple corals seem to love it. I like the light enough for me not to replace it or add any supplement lighting.

This tank is at home, and i'm at college. so next time i go home i'll post some pictures! i miss it dearly. ):

Hey guys! My tank is in full flourish mode, everything is growing/encrusting/extending. it amazes me how rewarding it is. but here's some pictures.

an overly blue FTS, i'll try to get a better one:

IMG_0001.jpg

a happily fed plate coral:

IMG_0002.jpg

an acro i don't know the name of, anybody know?:

IMG_0004.jpg

bali green slimmer and pink stag:

IMG_0005.jpg

hopefully this stays put :)

IMG_0006.jpg

my LPS crown Weso:

IMG_0007.jpg

bonsai that my iphone can never seem to focus on :/ i'll try to get a better shot of this coral too.

IMG_0008.jpg

my crown birds nest:

IMG_0009.jpg

gold maxima and bubble:

IMG_0010.jpg

purple deepwater acro (i love this coral):

IMG_0011.jpg

Plans:

• clean out the sump
  • sell the tree coral
  • get some more hermits
  • get rid of the xenia
  • attempt to get my anemone to STAY IN THE FRONT OF THE DISPLAY. UGHHH

Thanks for checking in!

• 3 weeks later...
Hadn't seen this tank before - looks great! So you have three tanks total now?

Really sorry to hear about your pup. :(

thanks, i really do miss that little guy :(

and yes i have a total of 3 tanks. the 6 gal will move into the 10gal. plus we have a 110 FW planted tank as well, but i don't really count that because it's so easy to maintain.

thanks, i really do miss that little guy :(

and yes i have a total of 3 tanks. the 6 gal will move into the 10gal. plus we have a 110 FW planted tank as well, but i don't really count that because it's so easy to maintain.

I miss having a planted tank. I tried high tech for awhile but low tech is the way to go - which I'm assuming yours is based on the easy maintenance comment. :)

I miss having a planted tank. I tried high tech for awhile but low tech is the way to go - which I'm assuming yours is based on the easy maintenance comment. :)

that it is. low tech, easy plants, low bioload, good filter. simple and beautiful.

The Reef is Officially 1 Year Old!

Major Changes along the way:

• LEDs strips upgraded to Radion (gen1)
  • Koralia 425 upgraded to MP10
  • Dosing Technique

Major Photo dump

**photos taken with iPhone 4s**

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

Edited by TheKleinReef
Did some rearranging! now i can see my anemone! before it was in the back, so i turned the rock around and its been 24 hours and it hasn't moved hopefully it doesn't *fingers crossed* I went out and bought some silversides and cut one up into about 7 or so pieces all being about 1/8" and i fed the anemone 2 in a span of 30 minutes. and i also fed my plate coral and it was fascinating watching the 2 devour the piece of fish. (:

That's it. thanks for stopping by...

Looking real nice ... sorry to read about the pooch ... what happened ? I know how attached we get to them. I have 3 and am probably about to lose one to old age (black Lab).

Looking real nice ... sorry to read about the pooch ... what happened ? I know how attached we get to them. I have 3 and am probably about to lose one to old age (black Lab).

Well he was 12 years old, and their life expectancy is 12-14 years. But towards the end we took him in to the vet to get checked because we thought he relapsed with the anemia he had about 3 years ago. Turned out he had a huge growth in his abdomen that was deteriorating his muscles and causing a lot of problems. When the day came where he couldn't even stand to drink water we put him down. It was a reallllllly sad day. :/ i'm sorry to hear about your pooch as well, time is an adversary a lot of people forget about. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I've been researching bio-pellets and i really think my system could benefit from them. I have an oversized skimmer, and i really want to focus on SPS. Does anybody have any good recommendations for reactors. so far i've looked into cad lights, reef dynamics, and the reef octopus reactors. is there one that's significantly better than the other?

i do have one question, does the exit line need to feed directly into the skimmer pump, or just in the skimmer area. i've seen both ways.

thanks for any help!

I've been researching bio-pellets and i really think my system could benefit from them. I have an oversized skimmer, and i really want to focus on SPS. Does anybody have any good recommendations for reactors. so far i've looked into cad lights, reef dynamics, and the reef octopus reactors. is there one that's significantly better than the other?

i do have one question, does the exit line need to feed directly into the skimmer pump, or just in the skimmer area. i've seen both ways.

thanks for any help!

Into the skimmer area will be fine. It's been run that way with great success from many people.

Into the skimmer area will be fine. It's been run that way with great success from many people.

Awesome thanks.

Montipora eating flatworms. F M L

I lost a whole montipora digitata colony before I realized it. I just thought the coral was getting darker. Then I noticed it stopped growing. I decided a dip could help. Next thing I know thousands of these little flatworms fell off the now skeleton of the coral. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in myself as a reefer. I dip every coral and it still came in somehow. Ugh

As for now, I dipped my 2 prized encrusting monti colonies and moved them to the 10 after a very close inspection. I still have 4 other colonies that are all encrusted. I'm not sure how I'm going to treat those. I'm praying I don't have to because there is no evidence of the flatworms on them.

:(

• 2 weeks later...