Coral Vue Hydros

TheKleinReef
Damn that really sucks, your parameters look okay to me so I don't know why that happened. Bump for more experienced peeps :happy:

my alkalinity was decreasing so fast in between dosing that it stressed out the coral. i just have to keep on top of the dosing.

TheKleinReef

Today i did my first attempt at sps fragging. i first removed my acro colony from that horrible love rock plug thing. that was easier than i thought it would be. i took a little chizzle to the ase of the coral and gave it a little smack. and it popped right off. i glue it right in the center of the lights up high. and when i was done i noticed a tip broke off when it fell of the plug. so i took what i learned from mrsaltwatertank tv and glued that tiny piece to a rubble rock and placed it into my make shift frag rack. then, since i was on a fragging role, i cut off a piece of my birdsnest and glued that to rubble. finally i fragged up my huge xenia rock, and plan to let the rock be covered and take it to the LFS for credit.

here's some pics:

the acro removed from plug and glued:

89e9ac38.jpg

my jerry-riggred frag rack with 3 frags (2 sps, 1 xenia)

eef6b140.jpg

my just fragged bird's nest (ITS ENCRUSTING!!!)

5f3af622.jpg

thanks for checking out my thread guys!

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Update: Week 12!

Lost a green staghorn. I was never a healthy looking frag, and eventually it just died. :/

But i got a new red montipora digitata!

Here it is 5 minutes after acclimating, dipping, and gluing:

670d6d4e.jpg

Also, here's my ghetto rigged frag rack made from a 5x5 eggcrate glued to a piece of acyrlic held in place by mag-float cleaning magnet :) (1 echinata frag, 1 bird's nest frag, 2 mintipora frags that i accidnetally chipped off):

10e153e6.jpg

Full Tank Shot March 23, 2012:

28ff823c.jpg

• 1 month later...
TheKleinReef

17 WEEKS!

Everything is doing really well, I lost the ricordeas for some freak reason, one colony is doing really well but the other (which looked just as healthy and was in the same location) just didn't make it.

I did 1 new coral since the week 12 update and it is a purple polyp bird's nest and man is it cool. It has an orange like stalk and bright purple polyps. Its easily 5" tall and about 4" wide and I got it for around $40, which where I go is pretty cheap. (I got that white echinata for $80 and its the same size).

But here's a picture of the Montipora that was added 5 weeks ago, It has bright white tips and is doing wonderfully:

dff3ea12.jpg

Here's the New Bird's Nest (which i am in love with):

a87293e9.jpg

And here's the whole SPS garden (minus the millepora which is hiding behind the green polyp birds nest):

ac3c5bec.jpg

And just to post more pics:

Mo & Jo

777a6418.jpg

Purple Tip Hammer Frag

6f4a649d.jpg

**I am getting the hang of sps. and my parameters are all stable and my nutrients are low.**

Time for more sps (:

TheKleinReef

WEEK 18 UPDATE

I found a new LFS and man is it awesome. I thought the other store was good, until i alked into this one and it had a 20 foot long frag tank filled with SPS, LPS, and clams. And that was only in the first ten feet of the store. I walked through and found a radion lit frag tank and what seemed like endless amounts of fish, coral, and supplies. :D roger happy.

After an hour of walking around, i decided on a green montipora capricornis:

d134f2d2.jpg

And a new croacea clam (for a total of 3 clams :D)

81e2f13a.jpg

(i also got some new mushrooms for my pico tank)

But here's some close up-ish pictures:

6e4912db.jpg

d68aca4d.jpg

24218012.jpg

d134f2d2.jpg

9ea432a8.jpg

da5fa2d1.jpg

5e5ee91b.jpg

4c820254.jpg

ec68dd04.jpg

90861f4c.jpg

FTS:

a5fdde26.jpg

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
Your tank is beautiful! I love your sps garden :)

Thank you :) be prepared for a big update. I just got new lights and a new pump. Everything responded so well to it.

Wow, I don't know how I haven't seen this tank before. Great job. I just wish those pictures showed up larger on the thread so I could take a closer look.

TheKleinReef
Wow, I don't know how I haven't seen this tank before. Great job. I just wish those pictures showed up larger on the thread so I could take a closer look.

All of the pictures are from an iPhone 4s.

I am a complete noob with the camera and uploading. I grabbed a Nikon d700 and uploaded what I thought would be large pictures but they still came up small?

Any tips on avoiding the shrinkage?

All of the pictures are from an iPhone 4s.

I am a complete noob with the camera and uploading. I grabbed a Nikon d700 and uploaded what I thought would be large pictures but they still came up small?

Any tips on avoiding the shrinkage?

Wow, I can't believe those were taken with an iPhone. I take all of mine with an iPhone 4 and they look average at best, but don't come close to capturing the true color I'm seeing in real life. But anyway, I take the pictures from my iPhone and upload them to a Photobucket account. Then I post direct links to those pictures on my thread. They show up nice and big

Edited by matt20
TheKleinReef
Wow, I can't believe those were taken with an iPhone. I take all of mine with an iPhone 4 and they look average at best, but don't come close to capturing the true color I'm seeing in real life. But anyway, I take the pictures from my iPhone and upload them to a Photobucket account. Then I post direct links to those pictures on my thread. They show up nice and big

That's exactly what I do. But they come out small. Is there a size limit setting somewhere I missed?

That's exactly what I do. But they come out small. Is there a size limit setting somewhere I missed?

Hmm strange. Not sure what's going on then :huh:

TheKleinReef

WEEK 19 WITH LARGE PICTURES!

I figured out how to uplaod bigger pictures to photobucket, for some reason it was set on a small setting. but i fixed it.

anywho:

sneak peek (:

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

Wanna see some more? (:

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

NEWEST ADDITION: Anyone know the name?

IMG_1086.jpg

Fullset up shot (kinda)

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

Opinions? (:

Edited by TheKleinReef
TheKleinReef
Probably my favorite on this forum. I love your videos on youtube. I don't know the name of your new addition though sorry.

thank you, but there are some pretty sick tanks on this forum. (: thanks for checking out my youtube channel.

• 2 weeks later...

How is everything doing under the new Radion? Anything reacting adversely to the LED light?

What settings are you using and what is your peak output %?

TheKleinReef
How is everything doing under the new Radion? Anything reacting adversely to the LED light?

What settings are you using and what is your peak output %?

everything is doing quite well, i had to move some lps into the corners or under a cliff ( ricordea, plate coral, hammer) but other than that everything loves it. right now i have the artificial setting increasing to about 10K during the time no one is home, and increasing to about 18K by 3-5 then it ramps back down to night. right now the max % is 40% because my sps are so close to the surface. I might not increase it and just see how it goes.

TheKleinReef
i think the new coral is a flower pot coral but I'm not sure

Lolll not that one. Ive had that flowerpot for almost a year. I'm asking about the sps colony that's behind/above it :)

wow nice tank, so are the lights worth it?

Heck yes. Ever since I got them, my sps colored up, my clams opened up, and my LPS have begin to grow more stalk ( I dunno if that's related but it happened). Plus, when I upgrade to a bigger cube in the future I can use the same light :)