Pod Your Reef

AC70 Media Basket Questions

fwadiver

Couple questions about the AC70 media basket:

First I notice the basket likes to float up, is that supposed to happen? Is there a way to keep it down without the lid?

the lid: i notice it doesnt fit completly on, i can either notch it in the back or the side with a dremel to make it snap over the basket, is there a preference of back or side?

How often is it reccomended to change the filter floss? I am doing it about every 3-4 days, any longer than that and there is a huge algea blooom right where the AC70 dumps the water back into the tank.

How are people routing the light for the fuge?

Hello

First I notice the basket likes to float up, is that supposed to happen? Is there a way to keep it down without the lid?

It can happen because of the water pushing against the media. Adjust the flow down. If you have suction cup laying around, water proof magnet, or similar use that to hold it in place.

the lid: i notice it doesnt fit completly on, i can either notch it in the back or the side with a dremel to make it snap over the basket, is there a preference of back or side?

If you need the lid on use a dremel and notch around the rear molding of the lid. You will not have to do it on the front. It was an oversight on design and will be corrected on or next production run. But for now all you have to do is remove some of the molding that goes on the inside of the filter. Then the lid will fit right on.

How often is it reccomended to change the filter floss? I am doing it about every 3-4 days, any longer than that and there is a huge algea blooom right where the AC70 dumps the water back into the tank.

It's going to be tank dependent but I would say 1-2 times per week. Filter floss won't directly cause algae check your phosphates.

How are people routing the light for the fuge?

What type of light?

Already have the flow set as low as possible, only reason i am using the lid currently is to keep the basket from floating up, as it floats up it causes the water to overflow the side of the filter and makes for an unhappy wife. The light is the little in fuge submersibel light you sell, I would normally just route it thru the top, but since I need the lid on to keep the basket down I was trying to figure out how to run the cord. I was thinking running it thru one of the top holes in the front of the basket. I will look at trying to get a magnet to hold the basket down. I was also thinking of putting a small piece of rock in the top of the basket to help keep it from floating up, but was worried that would block flow. I have fliter floss, chemi-pure and chaeto in the basket currently.

You can route the light backwards through the holes. Take the end that plugs into the transformer, it will fit through the holes of the basket in the chamber you want to light.

Archived