Top Shelf Aquatics

Tim's 15 Gallon College Swag Tank

timothymarsh

It definitely does look cool. And neat idea on the different uses.

What's your realistic timeline for completion? Your first first says the 9th but I know things change.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be wet and cycling by the middle of next week. I have to be back for the start of spring semester on Jan. 9th, so the tank is def gonna be fully operational by then. The biggest thing right now is just building that wood cover so that it looks good and is effective at the same time

And the tank is wet! Born on Dec. 20th around 11 a.m., this tank has a bright future ahead of it. Pretty happy with the scape, got this on the first try too. Pics!!

post-68085-1324413499_thumb.png

If they are uneven, it could cause stress fractures in the glass...

For such a short period of time and with only 15 gallons, there shouldn't be too much stress on the glass. And the blocks were pretty even.

For such a short period of time and with on 15 gallons, there shouldn't be too much stress on the glass. And the blocks were pretty even.

Alright! Other than that, it looks delicious.

• 2 weeks later...
timothymarsh

Got the wood cover 50% built, all thats left is to throw in some screws, stain it, and add the chain to hang the light fixtures. Back up to college in 4 days!!!

Rough idea of final product

post-68085-1325721076_thumb.png

post-68085-1325721219_thumb.png

timothymarsh

If you look at the plans on the first page, you'll see that the sides are going to support the light fixtures. I didn't want to make a true hanging kit because I was afraid my roommate might hit the light, so I went with a more stable design. The holes on the side give me a good amount of visibility.

Nice scape, however I do not understand why you want the sides covered?

+1, the pvc leg setup looked much less limiting. I'm in a dorm too, and I want as much of my tiny tank to be visible.

Also, the all in ones look so slick. Are you ditching it, or not? because I see a surface skimmer grate on the last page, but I assume that's just for the intake of the filter?

another note: I love that NR all uses google sketchup as a cad program. It makes me want to use solidworks just to one up, but then I remember how less time consuming sketchup is.

timothymarsh

I really liked the more open design but this is what I'm going to have to settle for right now.

As to the AIO, I ditched it because it was becoming too troublesome on such a small tank. Just running a powerfilter and submersible surface skimming pump right now, another HOB might come into play down the line.

Final note: Sketchup is awesome.

Tonight I'm working on hanging the lights from the cover, should have pics up later.

Other tanks:

10 gallon

010.jpg

30 gallon

009.jpg

timothymarsh

After years of keeping FOWLR tanks with the occasional anemone, I finally got my first two coral frags. The bug has already bitten me hard and now I want more frags, but patience is the key to this hobby, so I will resist for the time being. Common mushrooms on a good size frag, and green/ red zoas on a frag with about 15 heads. Both for $12, not bad. :) PICS!!!!

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

Loving the actinct lights in the back.

006.jpg

Archived