Cultivated Reef

Alto's Bangaii Cardinal Breeding thread

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
Man that's a shame alto. My two aren't doing much better. They are definitely bigger but still have yet to exhibit any breeding behavior. But I did however, just purchase a bonded pair from live aquaria divers den yesterday so hopefully they too wont let me down.

Sorry to hears yours aren't doing anything either. Hopefully they'll get their act together soon. I wish I had the room to have multiple pairs at once. I fell like it would be less frustrating than just waiting on a single pair.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• altolamprologus

• smitty_1280

• Euphyllia

• yoshii

altolamprologus
Maybe I missed it but what is the best/easiest way to tell male from female bangaii cardinals???

Look at the belly just in front of the anal fin and you will see little black things sticking out. Those are the vents. Females have one and males have two. In some cases, the female will have a second, much smaller vent. But it is hardly noticeable and shouldn't make sexing any harder.

Fwiw locally, I know if 2 places that sell captive bred. Caesar's Fish store in Santa Rosa and Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell (near San Jose). Caesars sells at about 40 each and are small. They say it's too hard to sex. Might be going there to check it out next week. Someone told me that dolphin breeds their own and sells the offspring. I called 4 months ago and they were out.

On the wild side, there is a local garage shop that sells for 10 each in Daily City but have not seen them.

I keep hearing ORA is not distributing yet. Some issue with their broodstock. I always ask stores that carry ORA fish.

Hope that helps in your search.

altolamprologus
Fwiw locally, I know if 2 places that sell captive bred. Caesar's Fish store in Santa Rosa and Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell (near San Jose). Caesars sells at about 40 each and are small. They say it's too hard to sex. Might be going there to check it out next week. Someone told me that dolphin breeds their own and sells the offspring. I called 4 months ago and they were out.

On the wild side, there is a local garage shop that sells for 10 each in Daily City but have not seen them.

I keep hearing ORA is not distributing yet. Some issue with their broodstock. I always ask stores that carry ORA fish.

Hope that helps in your search.

Thanks so much. I was planning on visiting Dolphin soon anyway so I'll call and ask if they have them. I've never heard of Caesar's but I'll check them out too.

I'm not going to bother with ORA. Bangaiis have been absent from their wholesale lists for at least a year so there's no point in waiting for them pop back up.

altolamprologus

Well I just called Dolphin Pet Village and they sold out of CB bangaiis last week but they should be getting more soon :)

altolamprologus

They spawned again today. Judging by the size of his mouth, it's about 25 eggs and seems to be the largest clutch thus far. Too bad they'll gone by tomorrow night :sigh:

Mine is carrying eggs again too with less than a week since he released the last clutch. Poor guy never gets to eat.

Any luck tracking down a new male? Too bad you don't live closer we could just swap them every couple months.

altolamprologus
Mine is carrying eggs again too with less than a week since he released the last clutch. Poor guy never gets to eat.

Any luck tracking down a new male? Too bad you don't live closer we could just swap them every couple months.

I found an LFS near me that carries captive bred bangaiis on a regular basis and they said they should have some back in stock within the next couple weeks. I may wait longer before getting one though because I'm going to be buying my dwarf seahorses soon and I need all my cash for that.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting thread. I picked up two adult bangaii cardinals yesterday. I suspected they were both males based on how square they look, but I'll check for the vents. :)

• 2 weeks later...
altolamprologus

Hey guys, I've kinda given up on my cardinals, but they continue to spawn pretty regularly. I've been toying with the idea of forcing the male to spit the first day and tumbling the eggs again. The male just swallowed the last batch a few days ago so I guess I have a few weeks to decide.

• 3 months later...
altolamprologus

Long overdue update: the male still eats his babies so soon he'll be going to a LFS display tank and I'll be bringing home my new male. The new one is wild so he should have some experience carrying babies to term. Here he is at the LFS

8E8BD90E-9D99-4EF4-B697-D30E7C9D0F46-2350-00000281C2DC6369.jpg

I'll update this thread again as soon as I have any progress

Hey Alto, I am curious as to how you are sexing them?

I ask because from most everything that I have read they say taht while it can be possible to sex the males and females you are typically buying a small group of juvenile's and wait until 2 of them pair up and then move the rest to another tank "unless you have a large enough tank"

I ask because I am going to be setting up a breeding rack in my house to breed my Maroon clowns that have recently started spawning, however I am also wanting to breed banghai cardinals because it is something that the hobby NEEDS "captive bred banghai's to help limit the destruction of the dwindling wild population"

So if you could please tell me how exactly it is that you are sexing them that you are 100% sure as to what gender you are getting as it would be much easier for me to just buy a known male/female as opposed to having to buy a group of juvi's

Thank you

Mike G

altolamprologus
Hey Alto, I am curious as to how you are sexing them?

I ask because from most everything that I have read they say taht while it can be possible to sex the males and females you are typically buying a small group of juvenile's and wait until 2 of them pair up and then move the rest to another tank "unless you have a large enough tank"

I ask because I am going to be setting up a breeding rack in my house to breed my Maroon clowns that have recently started spawning, however I am also wanting to breed banghai cardinals because it is something that the hobby NEEDS "captive bred banghai's to help limit the destruction of the dwindling wild population"

So if you could please tell me how exactly it is that you are sexing them that you are 100% sure as to what gender you are getting as it would be much easier for me to just buy a known male/female as opposed to having to buy a group of juvi's

Thank you

Mike G

Its actually really simple. Just feed them a lot and look at the belly. You will see either one or two little black pointy things sticking out. These are the vents. Males have two, females have one. In adult fish, the vents stick out without the fish being fed, but they're easier to see if the fish has a full belly.

This article has pic so you can see what I mean http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-t...ai-cardinalfish

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...