• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• altolamprologus

• smitty_1280

• Euphyllia

• yoshii

altolamprologus

Just thought I'd let you guys know both fish have settled down from the tank move and are eating well. I'm feeding them 4-5 times a day and the female is starting pre-courtship behavior. If they weren't so camera-shy I'd get a video.

altolamprologus

Thanks guys :) I'm trying not to get too excited at this point, just gonna let the fish do their thing and try my best to help them along. Perhaps I should play some mood music?

Jolleyreefs
Thanks guys :) I'm trying not to get too excited at this point, just gonna let the fish do their thing and try my best to help them along. Perhaps I should play some mood music?

Lol. I have been playing my pair some barry white and luther vandross and still nothing. I am in the process of getting another pair because i have pretty much given up on mine, its just so hard to find captive bred pairs without paying a TON! I know Inland sells guaranteed spawning pairs but i cant justify paying 300 lol

Edited by Jolleyreefs
altolamprologus
Lol. I have been playing my pair some barry white and luther vandross and still nothing. I am in the process of getting another pair because i have pretty much given up on mine, its just so hard to find captive bred pairs without paying a TON! I know Inland sells guaranteed spawning pairs but i cant justify paying 300 lol

I know the prices on these guys are pretty ridiculous. But I guess the time it takes to get a pair old enough to start spawning repeatedly warrants a high price tag.

In other news, the female is extremely bloated with eggs and spawning should take place today or tomorrow.

altolamprologus

Spawning has started. Fingers crossed and think happy thoughts everybody! "I will not swallow the children...I will not swallow the children..."

altolamprologus
Good luck!! I have been doing the same chant with my clowns :D Hope this spawn is successful for you!

Thanks, I hope we both get some babies soon!

altolamprologus

We have eggs! Last night's spawning was interrupted when the lights shut off, but they were back at today and now the male has a mouth bulging with eggs and the female is practically glued to his side. Day 1....

altolamprologus
I'm keeping my finger's crossed for you.

Thanks, I appreciate all the support.

Awesome. Congrats. Hopefully he doesn't get hungry this time. :P

I'm so afraid to feed the female. I feel like if he keeps seeing food, he'll decide being a dad and making me some money aren't worth the starvation.

altolamprologus

The male swallowed the eggs last night <_< I may try to tumble the next batch and see how that goes.

I got a small long spine urchin for this tank today. I'm hoping it's presence will convince the male this is a suitable environment to start a family in.

Sorry that he didn't hold.

Have you thought about separating the male and female into separate tanks, once the male is holding eggs? Then you can feed female without the male inclining to eat the eggs...

altolamprologus
Sorry that he didn't hold.

Have you thought about separating the male and female into separate tanks, once the male is holding eggs? Then you can feed female without the male inclining to eat the eggs...

At the moment I don't have the space to separate them, but I may start doing that in the future. I'm hoping this is just a case of the male being super young and not knowing what to do yet. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it before I start messing with them too much.

Glad you are patient with the process. I would be too eager and do the inhumane option of stripping the male to the get the babies. Understandably its not a viable solution with the risk of losing the male, and the captives have a higher price tag and not readily available.

Keep up the good work and tracking. Next time hope its better.

Edited by AMAYEU