Top Shelf Aquatics

From 46 bow to 25g Cube

andrewguilfoy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
andrewguilfoy

K so my pump came, time to set up the RO/DI.

Since this is my first sump.. I guess I kind of wanted ask the general questions? So what are my biggest safety concerns? just clogging the overflow? Having the pump run dry? I may not be here this weekend and with work. There is no livestock to get caught in the overflow "yet".

I'm not worried about the returns, I have them set high so when the water drains on a power outage it shouldn't be too bad. But we don't get many of those unless theres a storm..

I thought about getting locline check valves, but ehh.

lol short and sweet.

just be sure to use ball valves on the oveflow line and return line, as to equal out the speed water is flowing to and from sump.

yes running a return pump WHITOUT water will help break it lol

invest into some kind of ATO ( auto top up system ) this will keep your return side of the sump with water, unless you really wanna top up manualy.

and yes ANYTHING that can clog up the overflow or return = flood.

just keep it all clean and stuff should not get clogged up. also make sure your overflow box has a fish guard.

hope this helps.

andrewguilfoy

Yes, Thank you! And to all my 46 bow front followers.. Yeah for now i'm going to have to top off myself. I have my reef keeper, I need to get another PC4 and the ATO float kit for it and I should have it automatic.. soon ugh money

Yes, Thank you! And to all my 46 bow front followers.. Yeah for now i'm going to have to top off myself. I have my reef keeper, I need to get another PC4 and the ATO float kit for it and I should have it automatic.. soon ugh money

You have more then me there! I do top offs by hand once daily when I get home at 6pm.

Usually takes 4 cups at that time every day.

andrewguilfoy

lol Well I expected to put out most of my money on building "up" the tank.. But once I get it running its really time for me to slow down outside of future livestock.. I saved a little here and there. I got gift certificates at christmas waiting upstairs on my desk for my local LFS, about 120 bucks worth. I think i might buy some live to seed my dry, let it cycle, and save the rest for some coralz..

My LEDs wont be done until a couple weeks when they come and I can set aside time to piece them together, but that gives it time to cycle when I don't reallly neeeed light..

andrewguilfoy
;)

I like! The two island thing is what I did, gave me a spot to put the more invasive species! :D

My thoughts exactly! Plus it's fancy as hell!

looking great.

Thanks boxboy!

Can't wait to get this thing up to salt, and put my live rock in.. cycle cycle

Heres a couple more. It's Just about finished filling shots. My RO DI is only 50gpd, it has been very very slow! I shut it off last night in fears that I would forget about it. BUT.. it's been running all day. I plan to upgrade my membrane soon. Oh and The Marineland maxi utility pump purrs like a kitten, I highly recommend it!

6746549163_6c76deffc3_z.jpg

6746545415_3aa35e38a5_z.jpg

andrewguilfoy

Not mixed..

Right now at 12:30 i'm trying to silence this overflow.. MAN this glass-holes overflow is loud. ughhhhhhhhhhh looks like I might be back to square one. Any one have any suggestions? It's really this huge 1 1/2 pvc.. the water rushing through it = loud.

It sounds like a waterfall. I have a waterfall not a tank lol..

Im just going to shut it down for the night.. GO to bed, work tomorrow. Please feel free to make suggestions!

andrewguilfoy

im going to try to connect something a little different up to this box. Im going to try a external durso.. Gotta buy the tee, and caps.. Also I might go with a flex pipe instead of this solid PVC.. This large PVC kind of sounds like someone is constantly flushing the toilet..

Work tonight.. than maybe Home Depot or Lowes AGAIN tomorrow. At least its a cheaper fix. Yay? optimism?

andrewguilfoy

OKAY! I silenced the overflow.. sort of.. well the pipes don't sound like a running toilet anymore.. more like one of those spa clocks with the nature sounds on really low. I made an external durso, and connected up some 1 1/2" pool flex pipe.. clamped, no leaks zip tied a filter sock to the end, and it's fine. I also added a ball valve on the return end. SO my tank is happy now. The end.

Time to salt it. Sorry for the long long long process I've been making this! I'm so new to sumping a tank it's literally slapping me in the face. :angry:

andrewguilfoy

6766339179_f038461299_z.jpg

Not much going on, it's finally at 1.025.. Buying an ATO this weekend. Does anyone now where I can find a good "thin" reservoir? I've actually been looking at dog food containers lol. Some of them are good sizes for water.. but kind of weird looking.

Oh heres a pic of the new durso end on the back.. if you ever buy a glass-holes overflow, I would just trash that street elbow they give you. because that + the PVC was just terrible.

6766371725_686661d074_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
andrewguilfoy

This tank is now in my garage. I'm weird. While I enjoyed it while it lasted, I decided on something smaller. Same equipment, just a different display. I kind of hated having the bow front downstairs. Fish tanks are such a comfort zone thing for me, and I wanted it to be in my bedroom and while I didn't have the space for the bow front in my room this week at my LFS I picked up a brand new Marineland 25 cube I'll update a thread link as soon as I get some pictures. I drilled it today.. Will paint tomorrow, and the stand arrives next week. I'm excited!

andrewguilfoy
baby powder blue tang would go great with this tank!

Dude, I would love one! But this tank is down :/ no worries though! Like I said I'll end up using it again.. someday. I'll post a new link to the new 25g thread asap.

Archived