Coral Vue Hydros

Seneye Reef+ Aquarium monitor

Rehype

So i decided to invest in the new Seneye Reef+ Aquarium monitor. To all those that dont know what it is heres a brief overview..

"Seneye is a new water monitoring device . Seneye works by dropping a digital all-in-one monitor into your water that reports a wide variety of parameters and controls them as well. "Seneye believes its products are a massive step forward in animal welfare, allowing any fishkeeper to monitor invisible pollution in aquariums or ponds. The revolutionary product constantly monitors, among other parameters, free ammonia (NH3), pH, water level, temperature, LUX, Kelvin and PAR. Importantly, the Seneye controller utlizes predictive software, warning owners before a dreaded aquarium crash. The device is available with a USB for connection to a PC as well as an optional USB power adapter, allowing it can work autonomously. The results are relayed to the customer's computer and uploaded to their on-line web space. Alerts are sent to the customer via text messages and e-mail allowing for remote monitoring. The sophisticated software analyses the results and raises a warning when parameters stray from the norm, as well as recommending corrective actions."

The best part of Seneye is that it suggests and recommends actions when it detects something astray or not quite right. There will be three main models available at launch in July including a seneye Home, seneye Pond and seneye Reef version that offers different options depending on the device. You'll have access to a mobile version of Seneye that allows you to remotely monitor your aquarium perimeters and even report on them, address key deficiencies in your reef tank. The monitoring plan called Seneye+ is priced at around $8/monthly.

The seneye Reef features include:

Automatically monitors multiple key parameters

Constantly watching your aquarium, 5600 readings per month

Get healthier coral using the integrated LUX, Kelvin and PAR light meter

Early warning, intelligent software predicts future water conditions

Convenient alerts sent to e-mail and mobile phone

Access results worldwide, data stored online for easy viewing

Track your results with automatic graphing

Connect to a PC or optional USB power adaptor"

So i decided on one of these primarily to try out the par meter since im switching to LEDS soon.I wanted to be able to take PAR measurements from my current lighting setup and match them with my new setup and then gradually increase/decrease based on coral needs. I think measuring these parameters first is a good way to ensure a smooth transition. I was going to invest in a Apogee PAR meter but when i read about this i thought it may be a better/cheaper alternative. In addition the seneye is slightly better for measuring light in reef tanks (measures more light in the 400nm to 700nm range).

Well i got it the mail the other day along with the floatation apparatus(this is great to use if you cant make use of the suction cup and/or need to get accurate readings from the light meter)

seneye.jpg

Heres some pics of the mount options

Suction

seneyeclose.jpg

Floatation

seneyefloat.jpg

The instructions are sparse but most reefers should be able to trudge through however most users would definitely benefit from additional documentation. The most important piece for users who plan to use this as an aquarium monitors are the slides that monitors ph and ammonia they must be presoaked in tank water for at least 24 hours however Many reefers are recommending soaking at least for 48 hours to ensure better accuracy. These slides must be activated in order to view any results for PH,ammonia and the results are then uploaded to the dashboard interface for review. These slides are only good for one month and then have to be replaced. They cost about 10 buck per slide. The company says this was done to prevent the need for calibration. The cost also includes the ability to upload to their "cloud" and view the data from any web browser. You can also receive email and text message alerts if your parameters go out of whack. I also heard that within 6 months the device will also monitor Nitrates, Nitrites, Chlorine, Carbonate Hardness and General Hardness.

Heres a look at my dashboard (the dotted blue line is reading from my tank)

seneyedashboard.jpg

My initial install of the software went less than smoothly. I encountered issues accessing my dashboard account and using the light meter(it was initially disabled by the software) but i sent an email to the support address and Tom coswell at seneye was extremely fast and helpful in resolving these issues. So i have to give an A+ for customer service. But i have to point out that in order to use this monitor effectively it must be connected to a PC 24/7 in order to upload the results to the seneye cloud. This method of monitoring just isnt realistic on most tanks. However the company has hinted at a wireless solution that will be able to do this without the need for a connected PC. Unfortunately this solution wont be available for at least another 6 months(according to reports). In the meantime if you cant have it plugged into your PC you can plug the seneye into any usb power adapter and the devices will continue to take and store readings.Once your able to plug the device back into your PC it will automatically upload these readings and then you can view them from your dashboard.

Well the most important reason for me purchasing this device was the light meter so on to the results. I took some readings with all of my lights on (Halide,T5 and leds approximately 10" off the surface)

seneyeparreadings.jpg

Well i was satisfied with the readings but i can only hope that theyre accurate as i dont have another meter to compare it with. I also am curious as to why i dont get a kelvin reading when the halide is on (only with the T5 and LEDs) but its not really a big deal as long is get the PAR and LUX for now..

So overall its a pretty cool device but definitely has room for improvement.(Which i guess is ok since the device is still in beta) Hopefully the developers take in all the feedback and improve on what should be a really awesome addition to any aquarium. For now i would recommend this device to any one looking for a competitively priced PAR meter. In the future it should be a reliable way to view key water parameters without the need for daily testing(In addition to being alerted if they go out of whack) The biggest drawback is the need to have the device connected to a PC to upload data. So my advice to anyone wanting to take advantage of the water monitoring would be to wait for the wireless adapter update that would alleviate the need for a PC connection.

My ratings

Design:7

Features:6(will be upgraded to a 9 once all additional features are released)

Customer Service:10

Price:7

Performance:7

Overall:7 (For now)

Hope this helps anyone on the fence about buying the unit. Any questions feel free to ask and ill do my best to answer

-Hype

I guess....its meant for use in the sump or when taking par measurements. I doubt was designed for normal use in the display hence the addition of the suction cup.

Rehype, great write up. I have read many on the Seneye and this is Top 3 hands down.

As a reef keeper in general, can you detail the realization (if any) that you had with understanding what this unit is capable of? Or what it will be capable of with future upgrades?

For me, I have a shelf full of well respected test kits. It is STRENUOUS to test every parameter.... one. drip. at. a .time. But it is necessary for longevity IMO so I do so without (too much) verbal complaint..............

The first 1st-hand review I read of Seneye was yours. I have seen many of the major publicational reviews, but yours was the first user review............ I hope to break this down even further........

Can you divulge the emotional side of it? Meaning, what kind of relief are your feeling by running the Seneye? Is there a user side angle that has not necesarily been expressed in your original review? Have you had one of those "damn.... this is sweet" moments?

Thanks in advance....

Rehype, great write up. I have read many on the Seneye and this is Top 3 hands down.

As a reef keeper in general, can you detail the realization (if any) that you had with understanding what this unit is capable of? Or what it will be capable of with future upgrades?

For me, I have a shelf full of well respected test kits. It is STRENUOUS to test every parameter.... one. drip. at. a .time. But it is necessary for longevity IMO so I do so without (too much) verbal complaint..............

The first 1st-hand review I read of Seneye was yours. I have seen many of the major publicational reviews, but yours was the first user review............ I hope to break this down even further........

Can you divulge the emotional side of it? Meaning, what kind of relief are your feeling by running the Seneye? Is there a user side angle that has not necesarily been expressed in your original review? Have you had one of those "damn.... this is sweet" moments?

Thanks in advance....

Thanks alot harpo im not a good writer by any means but i try my best to give my fellow reefers honest feedback of any device i invest in for my reef tank.

Well honestly i wasnt too excited when i first heard about it....as the only thing that really interested me was the PAR meter however once i did some more extensive research i was intrigued. The fact that the company has plans to add additional functionality got me really excited. The monitoring of additional parameters such as nitrate and alkalinity meant alot to me personally. For instance i test alk almost daily to monitor how much my coral consume on a day to day basis. In turn i tweak my dosing amount to match their consumption. If i had reef monitor that could do that 24/7 it would save me quite a bit of time. Secondly i would be able to look at the graphs of this parameter on my dashboard and learn what are the peak times during the day that my coral consume alkalinity and dose accordingly.

In terms of nitrates nitrite and ammonia it would be nice to be alerted when theres a spike in these parameters. There could be someone overfeeding your tank or perhaps an animal death. This could allow you to take action before things get out of control.However the unit is in desperate need of an update that allows it to sync this information without the need for a dedicated PC.

Like i said in my review this device has a long way to go before i can give it the Gold star but it definitely seems like the developers are on the right track.

Awesome stuff. That is exactly what I was looking for from a consumer and I really hope for further entires that yield greater observation relating to your experience....... bravo on the whole and I personally look forward to further relay of development....

I am where you were with the 1st generation monitoring in relation to the second generation upgrade. As far as I am concerned, "don't tempt me Seneye", lay it on the table and simply make it available. They have put the proof in the pudding seemingly with their Gen 1 roll out, so that is more promising than most companies. The Gen 1 stuff that I am reading is awesome. For me personally, if this Gen II roll out is a success, I will be without a doubt a full time customer. I work in IT and am constantly glued to my Smart Phone when not dialed into a PC. Likewise....... every slow moment I get from work I am glued into Reef literature............

For me, having the opp. to constantly be aware of variables, etc, is exciting!

As you may have seen in the recent pst from Advanced Aquarist, there are already Seneye competitors hitting the World Wide market. I am excited to see whre this goes!

Thanks im glad i could provide some helpful feedback. Like i said in the review i wouldnt tell everyone to go out and buy one right away because i think the updates are necessary to justify the investment but once this unit is truly ready it will be a worthy purchase.

In the meantime ill just continue to make use of my neptune apex aquacontroller which gives me some important info on my tanks condition(temp,ph,orp) as well as email/text alerts,graphs and the ability to remotely control my tank from my iphone. Once the seneye is up to speed it can provide additional info on parameters my aquacontroller is unable to monitor.

3623476[/url]']

Are you a woman?

This is not an instruction manual.

Does it work or not?

F O !,,,,!

No....not really sure what that has to do with the review.

I didn't intend for it to be.

Did you even read the review?

But i have to point out that in order to use this monitor effectively it must be connected to a PC 24/7 in order to upload the results to the seneye cloud. This method of monitoring just isnt realistic on most tanks. -Hype

I purchased this to work with the seneye. My aquarium and tank are in the same room so I didn't need to worry about any range issues. It is working well for me keeping the seneye "connected" to the PC 24x7

I purchased this to work with the seneye. My aquarium and tank are in the same room so I didn't need to worry about any range issues. It is working well for me keeping the seneye "connected" to the PC 24x7

Thats defiinitely a good workaround until they release a more permanent solution. I have a mac so unfortunately that wouldnt work for me(I just use my windows laptop to download the info from the seneye monitor)

Well yes and no they require you to spend $10 a month on the seneye strips which need to be replaced every 30 days but along with that $10 is the ability to upload the data to their cloud servers and have access to it via their dashboard site. You also get tank alerts via email/text if your parameters are out fall outside a certain range.

Deleted User 6

So a subscription service? No thanks.

Thanks for the review. I was actually intrigued by this unit. Will wait until they improve their business model.

So a subscription service? No thanks.

Thanks for the review. I was actually intrigued by this unit. Will wait until they improve their business model.

Yea i wasnt too happy about that either but then again i only bought it for the PAR meter which doesnt require the subscription service. Although if it ever reaches its full potential as an aquarium monitor the price may be justified. Think about how much reefers spend on replacing consumables for their current test kits....For instance the hanna alk checker reagent is $10 alone(and that doesnt include shipping).

Great review ... all the details and pics are much appreciated.

Thank you...glad someone could use the info

Well yes and no they require you to spend $10 a month on the seneye strips which need to be replaced every 30 days but along with that $10 is the ability to upload the data to their cloud servers and have access to it via their dashboard site. You also get tank alerts via email/text if your parameters are out fall outside a certain range.
$10 bucks a month gets you

Free Ammonia

pH

Temp (Slide not needed)

PAR (Slide not needed)

LUX (Slide not needed)

Dissolved Oxygen Potential

NH4

Kelvin (Slide not needed)

They are working on releasing a Digi-Strip Reader that will add:

Nitrate

Nitrite

General Hardness

Carbonate Hardness

Chlorine

It's a gadget, I like it (but I am a gadget guy)

I bounced the PAR readings from it and compared it with that of an Apogee and there were comparable.

I don't see a changing business model. The slides need to be replaced every month. They aren't going to ship them out for free during the life of the monitor. It is a consumable.

Yea thats exactly what i was saying. once the other parameters are added its going to add huge value to the subscription service.

Hey navy where did you hear that seneye can measure dissolved oxygen potential?

Yea thats exactly what i was saying. once the other parameters are added its going to add huge value to the subscription service.

Hey navy where did you hear that seneye can measure dissolved oxygen potential?

It is on my Web desktop, there are 2 tabs on mine (top left) - One is an overview, the other is all of the parameters. Mine is listed there.

Edit = Just looked at your screen shot. You are on the overview tab. Click the tab next to it.......Yours is marked "Installed"

Is the $10 a monthhly fee or do you do an annual lump sum? Are the strips sent to you at once or do they come monthly?

The business plan reminds me of the Pet Fence model where you pay monthlies but they send you batteries for the collar. Its a convenience factor as well.... I am interested in this device. Its sounding pretty cool.

It is on my Web desktop, there are 2 tabs on mine (top left) - One is an overview, the other is all of the parameters. Mine is listed there.

Edit = Just looked at your screen shot. You are on the overview tab. Click the tab next to it.......Yours is marked "Installed"

oh thanks i didnt notice it was there thats a really cool bonus. Im going to update the screenshot to include this.

Is the $10 a monthhly fee or do you do an annual lump sum? Are the strips sent to you at once or do they come monthly?

The business plan reminds me of the Pet Fence model where you pay monthlies but they send you batteries for the collar. Its a convenience factor as well.... I am interested in this device. Its sounding pretty cool.

You order in packs of 3. All 3 are shipped at once. You can buy them from the seneye site, seneye also has an eBay presence if you prefer to order there.

I've no association with them at all. I'm not attempting to sell the product. Just passing on my limited (1 week) experience. Seneye states that they went with the slide model so there was no calibration/re-calibration needed for the end user. Soak the slide for 24 - 48 hours in your tank water. Put it it the device, DONE. No more work for the user.

Repeat monthly.

like navy said you buy these slides and they include codes thats are good for 90 days of monitoring

plus-1.png

Just my opinion, but it seems like an expensive gadget that still has a way to go. Plus the monthly service fee is a downer for me. Some of the tests they do, I'm not sure I need. I don't remember the last time I tested for dissolved oxygen potential or calcium hardness. :unsure:

As far as a PAR meter, my eyes usually tell me what I need to know.

Again.... Just my 2 pennies.

Archived