SaltCritters.com

Tunze 9002 in biocube 29

Fluffeh

okay, i just gave up on the aquaticlife mini protein skimmer because it simply did not work!! so after much frustration, i bit the bullet and decided to get the TUNZE 9002 protein skimmer WITH INTANK cup. hopefully i will be happier with this skimmer in my biocube 29?

anyone have any advice in using this skimmer, or maybe some reassurement that i will be happy with this skimmer?

right now i have the intank fuge basket and media basket. im guessing i should get rid of the fuge basket since the skimmer will be there. but should i keep running chaeto? what setup should i use in my intank media basket? right now it goes (1) filter floss (2) purigen (3) chemipure... what do you guys think i should do? replace the purigen with the chaeto? or just get rid of the chaeto all together and keep the current setup?

any suggestions would be very helpful!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
okay, i just gave up on the aquaticlife mini protein skimmer because it simply did not work!! so after much frustration, i bit the bullet and decided to get the TUNZE 9002 protein skimmer WITH INTANK cup. hopefully i will be happier with this skimmer in my biocube 29?

anyone have any advice in using this skimmer, or maybe some reassurement that i will be happy with this skimmer?

right now i have the intank fuge basket and media basket. im guessing i should get rid of the fuge basket since the skimmer will be there. but should i keep running chaeto? what setup should i use in my intank media basket? right now it goes (1) filter floss (2) purigen (3) chemipure... what do you guys think i should do? replace the purigen with the chaeto? or just get rid of the chaeto all together and keep the current setup?

any suggestions would be very helpful!!!

I had the same situation (more or less). The amount of chaeto you can fit in the media basket is minimal and I decided get rid of mine. My skimmer arrived yesterday just as I headed out of town on business so I can't tell you how well it works. Most people seem to speak favorably of it.

Love my tunze 9002. Works great but you have to keep the water level right all the time. I got the JBJ ATO to fix this issue. Took little over a week to break in. Also the skimmer and the media basket fits perfect in chamber 2.

With the skimmer I noticed the chaeto will not survive, maybe unless u have 6+ fish :ninja:

Umm that's interesting. I recently removed my Tunze. Not having a ATO is a drawback nearly impossible to keep the skimmer working good. I plan to install it again once I purchase a JBJ ATO.

how do you plan on keeping the media basket now that you have gotten rid of the chaeto?

Floss on top, Purigen middle section, carbon and GFO bottom section with the bag tied to the middle shelf so it doesn't block the holes in the bottom shelf. I am not missing those frags of chaeto in the display tank!

i noticed its so hard to adjust the bubbles with the intank collection cup on, is there a trick or something to make this easier to do ?

also, how high do you typically set your water level? do you still keep it right under the top shelf? or how high do you set the protein skimmer?

SouthFlorida_Tron
i noticed its so hard to adjust the bubbles with the intank collection cup on, is there a trick or something to make this easier to do ?

also, how high do you typically set your water level? do you still keep it right under the top shelf? or how high do you set the protein skimmer?

I have it a tad under the line, so the line is a bit out of the water, so as to allow more air in... To adjust the screw, I simply turn the cup lol

My skimmer is breaking in I suppose now. I have the 'air screw' set wide open and the bubbles are only reaching about 1/2" into the riser on the intank cup. is this normal? it's only been in operation for about 2 days so over the course of the next week these bubbles should rise higher?

Skimmer airline mod - Supposed to make for easier / more accurate control of bubbles.

http://vimeo.com/14282765

Planning on doing this to mine next time I have to pull the skimmer out for cleaning.

This mod works nicely. Easy to do as well. I ran the airline and adjustment knob out the back of the tank. Makes adjustment a lot easier. ;)

My skimmer is breaking in I suppose now. I have the 'air screw' set wide open and the bubbles are only reaching about 1/2" into the riser on the intank cup. is this normal? it's only been in operation for about 2 days so over the course of the next week these bubbles should rise higher?

Don't sweat it to much. That skimmer is loud and underpowered at first. Took a week or so to break in and run properly

Don't sweat it to much. That skimmer is loud and underpowered at first. Took a week or so to break in and run properly

phew, that makes me feel better after hearing it all night last night in my living room lol.

skimmers been running for 1 week now... still has not started skimming... should i be concerned? is it just going to start working one day?

Nope. It just takes time ;)

Archived