Coral Vue Hydros

Meta's Picotope Paradise (Retired)

MetaTank

Yeah, I've actually seen a ton of growth on my Trumpet in the tank on the left. It started as one head with 2 mouths, now it's 2(almost 3!) heads, and a whopping FIVE mouths!! My Ricordea seems to have grown a little too...

I'm stoked that not only am I keeping them alive, but they are growing and hopefully thriving in my tank...We;ll see, these Mr Coral frags are still new. Some might not make it in the long haul, but all the zoas and the acans look good, so I'm happy!

I have a magnetic cleaner, I'm just lazy and I need to order a nimble nano or something. Mine is sorta clunky...lol

Just gotta get rid of those ugly plugs...lol...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice Meta!

This is the first double JBJ 3g build I have seen, very cool! :)

Haha, thanks! WShen I bought the first one, I knew the JBJ stock light needed to go, and I was debating whether or not to spend $80 on a par 38, or DIY led build or T5's. I found a 36" 4 bulb T5 for 80 bucks shipped! So I began to think, how could I mount it over my tank and make it not look awkward! lol...Solution...Buy another Pico!

From there, it was only natural to connect them to a joint sump to get most of the equipment out of the way, add water volume to increase stability. Seeing as this was my first real aquarium build of any sort, I learned a lot! Now I'm itching to set up a pair of 5 gallon half moon tanks with a 10 gallon sump...Maybe a DIY LED fixture for these ones.

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been a while since i've updated...I just got a coral order in, so I'm trying to bump my thread to page 5 before I post pics...

I made an order with SaltCritters over the Easter weekend...Asked them to ship it Wednesday for Thursday delivery to be able to acclimate them before I went to work. Right off the bat, communication with this company was outstanding, and the emailed me very quickly. I ordered 15 pieces.

So the order came in this morning, around 11:30ish. I was waiting for it, and almost ripped it out of the delivery guy's hands before he could scan it "delivered"...lol...Opened it up, and I saw the usual styrofoam box within a box...

IMG_0084.jpg

What's this? Nice big heat pack...still warm!

IMG_0085.jpg

Hmm...I wonder what's in the bag...It sure looks awfully full for 15 pieces.......

IMG_0086.jpg

What do you know, 4 extra free corals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0087.jpg

Freshly deposited into my quarantine tank

IMG_0088.jpg

Welcome to your new home for 4-6 weeks!

IMG_0091.jpg

Nice orange skirts...

IMG_0097.jpg

What is that green one, it was a freebie...Not the blasto, the one on the far right

IMG_0098.jpg

A couple acans front and center, inflating nicely...and that dang mystery piece.

IMG_0100.jpg

Dang that's a big favia...lol...and some more zoas on the left

IMG_0102.jpg

Yeah, words fail me...I can see myself making anoth4er order with more WYSIWYG ricordeas already...

IMG_0103.jpg

FEED ME, SEYMOUR!!!!

IMG_0104.jpg

This one has orange polyps intersparsed between the blue when you hit it with moonlights

IMG_0106.jpg

Another freebie...what's this one???

IMG_0110.jpg

The only one that has failed to open all the way, though it's at the very bottom of the tank, so I might move it up to the 2nd shelf to see if that makes a difference.

IMG_0111.jpg

Sweet..soon to be 2!!!!!!! Photo sucks, but this one is peachy pink polyps with some green thrown in...

IMG_0112.jpg

So there you have it folks...I gotta say I'm impressed with the order for the price, and I will definately be ordering with SaltCritters again!!

Sweet buy. Thanks for posting. Maybe that top mystery is some sort of button polyp?

Yeah, I think I have a problem...I wanna order again already! No, but I really am thoroughly pleased with my experience with SaltCritters...I wonder how long they'll keep the free shipping going...Hopefully long enough for me to get my new tank through it's ammonia spike so I can fill the quarantine tank back up when it's current occupants get transferred over.

Turns out the mystery frags are a neon green gonipora, and a green saw breaker(leptastrea?)

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get your lights setup yet. Im patiently waiting for mine but unfortunately i dont think theyre gonna be here by the 1st.

Did you get your lights setup yet. Im patiently waiting for mine but unfortunately i dont think theyre gonna be here by the 1st.

I didn't get them set up yet, but if I remember when I get home, I'll take some pics of them plugged in. Do you have any idea how you're going to mount them yet? I have ideas if you need some. Unsure if i wanna leave the optics on and hang them high, or take the optics off and hang them lower...leaning towards the latter...

I didn't get them set up yet, but if I remember when I get home, I'll take some pics of them plugged in. Do you have any idea how you're going to mount them yet? I have ideas if you need some. Unsure if i wanna leave the optics on and hang them high, or take the optics off and hang them lower...leaning towards the latter...

Ill have to find the thread but i saw someone use a nice clean pvc setup, and cut the holes for the bulbs to hang out of and hiding the wires, i think thats the way im gonna go. Not sure what im gonna do w the optics yet i have to wait and see them first. Unfortunately i think im gonna be out of the competition because i was told theres not gonna be any extension and bulbs arent supposed to be here til the 3rd. im bummed out.

Ill have to find the thread but i saw someone use a nice clean pvc setup, and cut the holes for the bulbs to hang out of and hiding the wires, i think thats the way im gonna go. Not sure what im gonna do w the optics yet i have to wait and see them first. Unfortunately i think im gonna be out of the competition because i was told theres not gonna be any extension and bulbs arent supposed to be here til the 3rd. im bummed out.

Did you PM dallasprstn? He might make an exception if they're gonna arrive within a couple days of the deadline...Where do you live? I DO have some bulbs I'm sitting on at the moment, don't really need them to cycle the tank, and I'm in no rush since I'm not an entrant in the competition.............

Did you PM dallasprstn? He might make an exception if they're gonna arrive within a couple days of the deadline...Where do you live? I DO have some bulbs I'm sitting on at the moment, don't really need them to cycle the tank, and I'm in no rush since I'm not an entrant in the competition.............

Yeah he said no, maybe i can send him another message cause i kno other people r having the same prob with already having ordered their equipment but not arriving on time, i didnt tell him it was gonna be here on the third but thats at the earliest i think, they could arrive later. I live in roanoke, va, so its pretty much cross country.

Well, I would try...People have been dropping out like crazy, you should really try to stay in the comp, even if it means finding a new light source.

I just got my e27's yesterday that I ordered on the first. :lol:

Sweet!! I got my e27's about a week ago, ordered on March 31st...

mtime, I hope yours come sooner than anticipated!

I like Salt Critters also. They ship very nicely. And fast, and well packaged. My UPS driver saw the note on the outside of the box and delivered it to my wife while she was working, so it would not get hot in their UPS truck.

The corals I received were just as they looked on their site.

Brian

Sweet!! I got my e27's about a week ago, ordered on March 31st...

mtime, I hope yours come sooner than anticipated!

Well judging by how long its taken everyone else to get theres im losing hope. i could just keep the lights i have on there they seem to be fine for what i have in the tank,but i dont have another tank to use the e27's when they do get here, so it seems they would just be a waiste, and i really cant afford to go out and buy other lights just for the comp. i have a 10g and a 20g im gonna pick up that i left in jersey but that wont be for a month or two, i guess if they dont come on time ill just wait and use them on one of those tanks.

u figure out how to wire ur lights yet? im about to buy the rubber sockets from HD, but trying to firgure how im gona to wire them to a cord to plug in.

Sorry, I was at work all day...I'm using these flexible extentions screwed into "y" splitters, haven't decided how I'm gonna actually mount the lights yet...I might make a light monster, with all 4 screwed into one fixture...

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

But I'm leaning towards breaking them up into 2 sets of lights each with it's own power source, so I can sorta create a dusk/dawn effect. I will either use two clamp lights from HD I have lying around,or I'll use these plug in sockets plugged into an extension cord and figure out a way to hang them.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

That way they can be on seperate timers...Sorry I was too late in responding before you made the trip to HD, hope you worked something out!!!

mtime8778
Sorry, I was at work all day...I'm using these flexible extentions screwed into "y" splitters, haven't decided how I'm gonna actually mount the lights yet...I might make a light monster, with all 4 screwed into one fixture...

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

But I'm leaning towards breaking them up into 2 sets of lights each with it's own power source, so I can sorta create a dusk/dawn effect. I will either use two clamp lights from HD I have lying around,or I'll use these plug in sockets plugged into an extension cord and figure out a way to hang them.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

That way they can be on seperate timers...Sorry I was too late in responding before you made the trip to HD, hope you worked something out!!!

I ended up going w a pvc setup it was the quickest way to get it done before the deadline, i wish i had more time to come up w something else but it works. I like the direction ur goin should look really good when ur done, and more clean than the pvc i feel like it takes up a lot of space,

• 2 weeks later...

So my trumpet just keeps growing...I got this thing back in December I believe, and it came with one head with two mouths...now it has turned into this beast!

IMG_0130.jpg

I think before too long I'm gonna have to frag this thing, but I'm glad it likes my tank so much!

• 2 months later...

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

This is EXACTLY like my terrarium. Same adapters, sockets, maybe even same brand.

Can't wait to see pics!

Archived