Pod Your Reef

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey hravanii, I'm thinking about picking up a pair of springer's damsels this weekend, how have yours acted? Have you ever tried to have shrimp in the same tank as it? Any problems with it nipping at clams/corals ect? How does it react with your other fish(I have a dragonet, assessor and suntail goby).

Nice tank. My suggestion is to take xenia out or separate from rest of the LR. That stuff can spread like wild fire. One of my LR pieces completely taken over by xenia and I throw away 3-4 stalks every week. Xenia can attach to next LR overnight. It only needs to rub against the LR. Same goes for GSP. In the begining GSP and Xenia looks attractive. But, they will soon become a nuisance and they will use valuable real estate in the nano. My 2 cents.

The plate coral started as a hitchhiker that was the size of a pin head. He now is a little larger than pencil eraser.

I have had no issues with my springeri. He's actually kind of skittish. He is easily bullied by other fish but he bounces back quickly. I have seen him nip at a mushroom a couple times, I think he was picking things off the corals. He's never harmed new inhabitants. I don't have a shrimp or clam so I can't comment on those. I doubt he would bother them though. He minds his own business.

I'm not worried about the xenia. I have had iot since the beginning and it is easy to trim back as needed. It's pretty much stayed at the top. For the GSP one part is on it's own rock and the rest grows on the back wall.

Today I ordered a hang on fuge. A small one. I've been having issues with the one in the back of the tank. I also should be picking up a green birdsnest and red cap at the frag swap next weekend :)

Finally the blenny has been caught. The fish trap was in the tank for about 20 minutes before I caught him. Now I just need to wait for the guy to come pick him up.

Wow...you got him with a fish trap? That is impressive!!!! I caught a coral beauty that way after about an hour. Oh...got a damsel once too. Mostly I have no luck with those though.

New frags are gonna be sweet!!!!!

I'm having issues with the water level in the back and my light is mounted a little high. I had the cheato in the middle chamber but the sponge on top of the drip tray restricts the flow and the water level in the middle chamber can get quite low if I don't fix it.

My white hermit showed up out of nowhere today! Right beside him was a fresh molt :)

I picked up some crushed coral for my jawfish and he's been going nuts working on his burrow.

A short video of the jawfish doing his morning house cleaning.

Jawfish Cleaning

I moved some rocks around to catch a serpent star. 4 Starfish is a bit much and this one was the least attractive/largest. Now I have a bit more room and less shadow areas. I should have room for a few more frags. I can't wait till next week's frag swap!

aquascapejan.jpg

That video is awesome. LOVE that fish!!!!! If I had a bigger tank, I would definitely get one of those! Is that GSP growing on a powerhead, top left?

Thank you :)

He is a very interesting fish.

No the GSP is growing on the back wall and the powerhead is on the side wall. Neat idea though.

Thank you :)

He is a very interesting fish.

No the GSP is growing on the back wall and the powerhead is on the side wall. Neat idea though.

I've seen it growing on powerheads before and it looks very cool!!!!

I was watching my emerald crab tonight. He was being really rough with my yellow sea whip. It is shedding right now (which I guess is a good thing) but the crab was being very rough with it. He's just getting to be too large so I caught him tonight and put him in the back chambers. He can stay there until I can get to the LFS. I might keep him in my hang on fuge but he might be too big. Hopefully the algae stays at bay so I won't need another one.

Now I can get a white porcelain crab! Before I was afraid to get one because I was sure my giant emerald crab would kill it.

Well if you can then set up the new tank with the rock and new sand and let it sit for a few days before moving over the live stock. In my case I had the new tank going in the same place as the old tank so I moved it all at once. It stressed my fish out like crazy and I had 2 jump through a tiny hole in the glass lid. If you have fish that are known to jump then try and cover the front corners of the glass top.

Yea my emerald crab is pretty aggressive too. I'm starting to think that they are all like this. I think when I get more in my tank I'll have to find another home for it too.

My hang on Fuge should arrive today! I'm very excited to get this set up. Just need to do a water change first.

I also need to trim back my red mushrooms again. I wish my blue ones grew so fast :K

I love my hang on Fuge!

Some would say it "takes away from the look of the tank" but I don't care. I hung it on the side closest to my computer. It's such a different mini world compared to the display. I'm going to pick up some rock rubble for it soon. Right now I have a scoop of live sand from the display and some cheato. My huge emerald crab lives there now as well. There is a lot of life in the cheato! All kinds of sponges, pods and micro starfish.

Once the lights come on I'll gte some pictures.

I'm not sure if I will add a mangrove or not. I will have to do more research.

Here is a blurry picture

fuge.jpg

How it hangs on the side

fugeonside.jpg

My happy suncoral

sunjan.jpg

and a full tank shot because I can.

1-25.jpg

Tank looks great :) That's a nice size fuge! How much water does it hold? It may not be deep enough for mangroves. Then again, I'm no expert on the subject!

Archived