Top Shelf Aquatics

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gorgeous set-up, i just got my 8G cube in the other day. i'm still waiting on my filter and testing supplies but i've got my lighting. Went with the panorama pros, i really like the way you mounted them in your tank, i've got to come up with some way to hang mine when the time comes.

Since my tank is only going to be about 12' tall minus an inch or so for sand, should i mount my lights right above the tank? i do have a dimmer just in case, i just dont want to mount it too far away :\

I would mount them over the water so you don't have too much light spillage. If your corals react badly, you have the dimmer so no big deal.

Thanks All :)

I love this tank, I just want some more LIFE for it!

I was looking to order from sealife inc again. I know LA has a good reputation and the 14 day thing, but their coral is so expensive. Sealife has everything I would want plus good coral prices. I was very happy the last time I ordered from them. I want my jawfish :(

I'm looking to get a yellow head jawfish and some blue rics. I also want some of their bright blue zoas.

I didn't realize they sell a jawfish...that's awesome! I have the bright blue zoas. They are one of my favorites in the tank. Very hardy too!

I just checked out their site again. They sell pairs of those jawfish. Were you thinking of getting a pair or just one? They actually sell quite a few neat looking fish :)

I thought about getting a pair but changed my mind and decided to get 1 instead. Since it's a nano fish space is a bit limited and I would like to have more options :)

So yesterday I came home from vacation to see the tank looking not bad. The water level was low and algae was ALL over the glass but everything looked happy. I did find one of my serpent stars in the back chanber though. I have no idea how I'm going to get him out.

Yeah I'm pretty certain my urchin is the cause of some of my cerith snail deaths. Right now though I feel like I have the perfect CUC for this tank though. So I won't be adding any more.

I put in a small order with Dr Fosters and Smith for a thingy to help feed my sun coral and some coral dip. Yup I've been in the hobby for 6 months and I'm just now buying coral dip. Something is attacking my fire and ice zoas :( I think it's hydroids but they are super tiny. Also I have a frag swap to go to in February.

New fishy plan that I will most likely change lol

Within a couple weeks I will order a yellow headed jawfish. I really only like to add fish 1 a month so it will hopefully go like this:

Jan-Jawfish

Feb-Purple fire fish(I miss my old one so much)

March-Black clown

April-????

I'm so torn on my final fish. I know I want something that perches. I've been looking at a geometric hawkfish but they tend to be really shy. I also looked at a bicolor blenny, but they can be aggressive and nip corals. Blueheaded combtooth gobies look cool but they are hard to find. Finally I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a red scooter blenny, but they have a specialized diet. I'm so stuck :( Luckily it's a ways away.

Yeah I'm pretty certain my urchin is the cause of some of my cerith snail deaths. Right now though I feel like I have the perfect CUC for this tank though. So I won't be adding any more.

I put in a small order with Dr Fosters and Smith for a thingy to help feed my sun coral and some coral dip. Yup I've been in the hobby for 6 months and I'm just now buying coral dip. Something is attacking my fire and ice zoas :( I think it's hydroids but they are super tiny. Also I have a frag swap to go to in February.

New fishy plan that I will most likely change lol

Within a couple weeks I will order a yellow headed jawfish. I really only like to add fish 1 a month so it will hopefully go like this:

Jan-Jawfish

Feb-Purple fire fish(I miss my old one so much)

March-Black clown

April-????

I'm so torn on my final fish. I know I want something that perches. I've been looking at a geometric hawkfish but they tend to be really shy. I also looked at a bicolor blenny, but they can be aggressive and nip corals. Blueheaded combtooth gobies look cool but they are hard to find. Finally I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a red scooter blenny, but they have a specialized diet. I'm so stuck :( Luckily it's a ways away.

Bicolor blennies are definitely coral nippers. How about a Tailspot blenny? They are great, cute, entertaining...and I've never had problems with coral nipping from them. They are model citizens (from my experience).

I have never cared for tailspots, even after seeing them in person.

I was suppose to do a water change today but I got the stomach flu instead. I barely was able to make my water top offs. I really need to clean out the back chambers. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow

Happy 2012!

Archived