Top Shelf Aquatics

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

My cleaner goby has been cleaning my clown! She is not thrilled about it but it's awesome to watch!

I also settled everything with Saltwaterfish.com and they are sending me a reship with a new cleaner shrimp and 2 other rock nems I picked out. I will get it on Wednesday. Hopefully things go better this time.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet bubble tip! It looks so big... then I had to figure out what coral it was near to find it in the FTS. It's TINY. I hope you have good luck with it and your future nems fingerscrossed

Thanks! Yeah the nem is still pretty small. I guess since it's small it's a good thing that the clowns have not found it yet.

I don't make it to Appleton, well ever lol. It's further than I like to go. I make a couple Milwaukee auctions but I pretty much stick around Madison.

It's expanded a bit more but yeah it's pretty small. I figured it bought me some time to make room for it lol. Also There will be an upgrade sometime next year.

Hopefully it turns up soon. I've been wanting to see pictures of your bubble tip! I would have loved a purple rain but shipping a nem can be killer. Plus I got to save on shipping.

Ug I don't know if you all visit RC much, in fact I'm not even sure why I do. There is one thread in particular that just irritates me. In the New to the Hobby section there is a stocking thread. Only RC staff are allowed to give suggestions and really only 1 person ever does. According to this guy

Clowns are boring and too aggressive once mature(all clowns by the way)

Crabs should not be kept at all including hermits

Mandarins/scooters ect WILL starve to death in anything less than a 100 gallon tank

All Dwarf Angels are not reef safe

Six lines are hyper aggressive despite tank size

While there maybe some truth in the above I hate the absolutes! Plus you are not allowed to say anything against it since only RC staff can make suggestions on this thread.

Bah it just irritates me.

I occasionally visit RC. I stick to the nano reef, corallimorphs, and softies forums only. Sometimes I'll look in the general forum. RC was the first place I visited when I started my first reef. I did learn a lot over there. I actually don't remember how I found this place. I know my registered date here is 2007 but I was on here gathering information for a few years before I actually signed up :lol:

Yeah I learned a lot over there too when I was researching my tank. But I find the community here much more friendly :)

In other news, I just picked up my reship and even though the nems were both in very little water, they look ok now that they are in the tank. The shrimp was DOA again :( I think I'm going to just go pick up one locally.

Geeze...wonder what's up with their shrimp????? That's a shame!!!!!

Glad the nems look good. What colors did you pick this time?

I picked a dark purple and white one, and a green striped one.

Nice combinations!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing them. How's the BTA doing? Has it moved at all?

The BTA is doing great! It hasn't moved at all. It seems to be happy where it is.

That's good!!!!! My concern is that they move a lot...but judging by everyone's experiences with them, they don't move much!!!!! Down the road....much further down the road...I may give one a try (in a bigger tank).

I think the moving of bubble tips is exaggerated. I mean yes they will move if they want but you can plan ahead for them. I knew the nem would want a lot of light so I put it at the top, I also read they like flow blowing just over them. Since I have a little ledge where it is the flow comes right over the tops of the tentacles. Finally I read if you feed them where you put them they are likely to stay.

This has just been my experience. When I decided to get one I had to evaluate what I would be willing to loose if it did start moving. Pretty much I'm ok loosing anything at the top of the tank. The xenia seems immune to the sting though XD

Here are the nem pictures from the website

3-26-2012-2.jpg

This is one is much more green/teal in person but it isn't fully expanded yet

3-26-2012-3.jpg

Lol...my bubble moved..and has moved every other day even with daily feedings...I kinda feel like where's Waldo when I look for it...

Lol then again mine is the size of a fifty cent piece and is almost as hard to find as my pompom crabs lol

I put mine where I thought it would be happy, in the higher middle near the return with lots of light and a ledge. It moved into the deep dark back corner of my scape. I'm fine with it if it's happy there since I never would have put anything there anyway. It's just a pain to get food to it.

Gah I went to the LFS across town to pick up a cleaner shrimp. The have the cheapest ones at $25 <_<

They also tend to get some pretty neat stuff in so you never know what you will found. Anyway while cruising the tanks I see a blue and gold blenny! He was super cute and I knew he would stay small. I was deciding if this was going to be my final fish or not when he started flashing like crazy :( I Almost risked it but then I thought about how sad I would be if my current fish got sick so I left without getting anything. Such a bummer.

p-80419-blenny.jpg

It's ok though because I sat down and really thought about what I want my final fish to be in this tank. I decided it will be a red scooter blenny. I decided against the hector's because my neon goby is a "stripy" fish as well. In my next tank I will get a flasher wrasse because I will have more room. Plus I just love scooter blennies and red ones stay smaller. Also they are much easier to get on frozen food than mandarins are. So now I just wait for my LFS to get a small one in :)

Archived