Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

I added the rubble pieces to the jawfish's pile. The urchin raided it this morning and went a little crazy :)

crazyurchin.jpg

What urchin????? I don't see any urchin!!!! :lol:

Too cool. I can't see the changes, but everything looks amazing!!!!

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The red stuff is red bubble algae :blush:

It's tough to remove but the urchin likes to pick it up and carry it around. Luckily it doesn't grow very fast.

The top middle rock is the one I smashed. Like I said, it's not a huge change but I'm happy with it. In other news I haven't seen my clown goby in about 5 days :9 I heard they can disappear for a while then pop back up.

I'm back on the "thinking of next fish" path. The goby was kind of a bust and I feel like I wasted my "perching fish" slot. Oh well. With a maxi mini I'm afraid to get one of those nice nano blennies from diver's den. Add that with my red brittle star and I think I would be tempting fate.

Yesterday I went window shopping at the LFS. Since I bought the anemone I told myself nothing new for a month. But I can look around :) they had just gotten a ton of wrasses in! They had a GORGEOUS melanurus wrasse. Beautiful, peaceful and eats flatworms! The catch is they get 5" long :( Way too big for my nano but something to think about when I upgrade someday. They also had some beautiful leopard wrasses. But those are hard to get eating and these already looked skinny. Finally they had a beautiful McCocker's flasher wrasse. Every time I see one of these fish I fall in love with them again.

They also had a nice looking hector's goby. Even though I don't like the color yellow, I really like these guys. They stay small and swim in and out of the rocks. They are another species that's tough to get onto prepared foods. They like pods and hair algae and I have both. I just don't know if I have enough.

It looks like it will come down to either a McCosker's flasher or a hector's goby. They had some adorable and tiny helfrichi firefish, but I really want a fish that will swim around.

Here are some pictures from live aquaria of the fish I mentioned :)

melanurus wrasse

p-80626-hoevens-wrasse.jpg

Leopard wrasse

p-75917-wrasse.jpg

McCosker's FLasher :wub:

p-39306-mckoskers-flasher-.jpg

Hector's goby

p-71237-hectors.jpg

I had a McCosker's wrasse. Beautiful fish. I think he had a parasite though because he didn't live very long :( He was very active though.

I love the looks of the Hector's. Do they swim a lot?

From what I have read the hector's will swim in and out of the rocks. Not as active as a wrasse but they don't hold territories like firefish and clowns. They are pretty much the same as a rainford's goby, just a different color.

Found the cown goby :(

He jumped and I found him in my box of cords under my desk. I keep the top off my tank during the day when I'm home. Otherwise I have a lid for night time. Bummer

He jumped and I found him in my box of cords under my desk. I keep the top off my tank during the day when I'm home. Otherwise I have a lid for night time. Bummer

Man that sucks! Sorry for your loss.

mantisman379

I'd go with the leopard wrasse they are really cool fish! But if you get a flasher wrasse then you might want to get some females so he can show is sweet colors. Fts soon? ;)

Eh, considering I very rarely saw him it's not too different without him :)

Unfortunately, this is how I felt when I lost my purple firefish. Still sad though...sorry :(

mantisman379

D'oh! sorry I posted this right after I got out of school (now its spring break, boo-yah!) so I was alittle burnt out. I have a rainfordi goby but he doesn't have as much personality as my Midas blenny "mr yum yums". I don't know a whole ton about leopard wrasses but they always seemed very beautiful. A flasher wrasse is very temping still though

mantisman379

My rainfordi hid the first 4 days in a cave he made then came out and now he doesn't even care if I'm doing jumping jacks in front of the tank... Lol mine oesnt take prepared food he just eats little algae things in the tank, yes algae things is the technical term for them.

:( poor little guy

Actually the urchin's name is Velcro :P

Brilliant.

I second the hectors goby. They are awesome little fish. My tank has 3 pretty large, pretty aggressive free swimmers, so i was also looking for a fish that would stay small and stay out of the way of my other fish. I haven't trained him onto prepared foods, but he's been in my tank over a month now and he is very healthy. I see him snapping up pods and algae all the time. Gorgeous tank by the way.

Hmm

Maybe I'll get a crazy skimmer and get both!

Right now it looks like it will be a hector's goby but we shall see. I'm still looking into some other options.

So today my purple nem is looking really bad :( I have no idea what the problem is. Yesterday it looked great and today it's deflated and it's mouth is open. I was worried maybe the water got too warm(we are having record highs right now). I did an emergency water change and it looks a little better. I also hooked up my skimmer again, just seemed like a good idea. The stupid thing is so loud though.

Nothing else in the tank is unhappy. The other rock nem right next to the purple one looks happy and healthy. Even the maxi mini and my SPS are not upset. I tried looking online to figure out what could be wrong but very little info on rock anemones is out there. :(

Got a new camera :) Not a DSLR but a nice little point and shoot. None of these images are altered, just cropped. Most of the colors are pretty spot on but it has some issues with the LEDs.

3-19.jpg

rightsidemarch.jpg

Marchtop.jpg

clownsfuzzy.jpg

GSP-1.jpg

eaglesMarch.jpg

hermitsmarch.jpg

Some fun effects the camera can do

brightshrooms.jpg

brighteagles.jpg

ohhello.jpg

Archived