861 replies to this topic

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,843 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

I added the rubble pieces to the jawfish's pile. The urchin raided it this morning and went a little crazy :)

Posted Image

What urchin????? I don't see any urchin!!!! :lol:

Too cool. I can't see the changes, but everything looks amazing!!!!

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
The red stuff is red bubble algae :blush:

It's tough to remove but the urchin likes to pick it up and carry it around. Luckily it doesn't grow very fast.

The top middle rock is the one I smashed. Like I said, it's not a huge change but I'm happy with it. In other news I haven't seen my clown goby in about 5 days :9 I heard they can disappear for a while then pop back up.

I'm back on the "thinking of next fish" path. The goby was kind of a bust and I feel like I wasted my "perching fish" slot. Oh well. With a maxi mini I'm afraid to get one of those nice nano blennies from diver's den. Add that with my red brittle star and I think I would be tempting fate.

Yesterday I went window shopping at the LFS. Since I bought the anemone I told myself nothing new for a month. But I can look around :) they had just gotten a ton of wrasses in! They had a GORGEOUS melanurus wrasse. Beautiful, peaceful and eats flatworms! The catch is they get 5" long :( Way too big for my nano but something to think about when I upgrade someday. They also had some beautiful leopard wrasses. But those are hard to get eating and these already looked skinny. Finally they had a beautiful McCocker's flasher wrasse. Every time I see one of these fish I fall in love with them again.

They also had a nice looking hector's goby. Even though I don't like the color yellow, I really like these guys. They stay small and swim in and out of the rocks. They are another species that's tough to get onto prepared foods. They like pods and hair algae and I have both. I just don't know if I have enough.
It looks like it will come down to either a McCosker's flasher or a hector's goby. They had some adorable and tiny helfrichi firefish, but I really want a fish that will swim around.

Here are some pictures from live aquaria of the fish I mentioned :)

melanurus wrasse
Posted Image

Leopard wrasse
Posted Image

McCosker's FLasher :wub:
Posted Image

Hector's goby
Posted Image

retired_zps4618ac23.jpg         34G_zps591982ae.jpg             8icon1_zps80c8ff3c.jpg

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,843 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
I had a McCosker's wrasse. Beautiful fish. I think he had a parasite though because he didn't live very long :( He was very active though.

I love the looks of the Hector's. Do they swim a lot?

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
That flasher is HOT! I want one so bad but I don't want to watch Poe beat him up. -_-

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
From what I have read the hector's will swim in and out of the rocks. Not as active as a wrasse but they don't hold territories like firefish and clowns. They are pretty much the same as a rainford's goby, just a different color.

retired_zps4618ac23.jpg         34G_zps591982ae.jpg             8icon1_zps80c8ff3c.jpg

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
Found the cown goby :(

He jumped and I found him in my box of cords under my desk. I keep the top off my tank during the day when I'm home. Otherwise I have a lid for night time. Bummer

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC

He jumped and I found him in my box of cords under my desk. I keep the top off my tank during the day when I'm home. Otherwise I have a lid for night time. Bummer

Man that sucks! Sorry for your loss.

Spirofucci

Spirofucci

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 6,700 posts
  • Joined 24 May 2011
  • Harlingen, Texas
Sorry about the fishy. :(

Hey, by chance is your urchin's name Rocky???

Posted Image

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin

Actually the urchin's name is Velcro :P

Felicia

Felicia

NorCal Diver

• Premium Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Joined 05 Sep 2011
  • Berkeley, CA

I like it :D

Sorry to hear about the fish :(

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
Eh, considering I very rarely saw him it's not too different without him :)

mantisman379

mantisman379

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 22 Jun 2010
  • wisconsin
I'd go with the leopard wrasse they are really cool fish! But if you get a flasher wrasse then you might want to get some females so he can show is sweet colors. Fts soon? ;)
10 gallon SW reef, with pics!, 20 gallon SW frag tank

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
Female McCosker Wrasse are very difficult to find :(

Full tank shot on the previous page!

Posted Image

:)

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,843 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

Eh, considering I very rarely saw him it's not too different without him :)

Unfortunately, this is how I felt when I lost my purple firefish. Still sad though...sorry :(

mantisman379

mantisman379

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 22 Jun 2010
  • wisconsin
D'oh! sorry I posted this right after I got out of school (now its spring break, boo-yah!) so I was alittle burnt out. I have a rainfordi goby but he doesn't have as much personality as my Midas blenny "mr yum yums". I don't know a whole ton about leopard wrasses but they always seemed very beautiful. A flasher wrasse is very temping still though

Paigee

Paigee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Joined 24 Jun 2011
  • Vancouver, Canada
I really like the Hector's goby/rainford's. I'm thinking about getting one for my tank :) They're very elegant looking

mantisman379

mantisman379

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 22 Jun 2010
  • wisconsin
My rainfordi hid the first 4 days in a cave he made then came out and now he doesn't even care if I'm doing jumping jacks in front of the tank... Lol mine oesnt take prepared food he just eats little algae things in the tank, yes algae things is the technical term for them.

ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 28 Sep 2011
  • Fayetteville, GA

:( poor little guy

Brilliant.
Posted Image

keydiver

keydiver

dedicated macro man

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • Joined 14 Aug 2010
  • miami, FL
I second the hectors goby. They are awesome little fish. My tank has 3 pretty large, pretty aggressive free swimmers, so i was also looking for a fish that would stay small and stay out of the way of my other fish. I haven't trained him onto prepared foods, but he's been in my tank over a month now and he is very healthy. I see him snapping up pods and algae all the time. Gorgeous tank by the way.
Posted Image

57g Rimless Reef
29 biocube (Decommissioned- Moved into 57g rimless)
20 gal macro tank (Decommissioned- Absorbed by 40g rimless lagoon tank)
40g rimless high tech planted FW tank (Now the 40g lagoon tank)
Keydivers Exo Terra PDF vivarium

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
Hmm

Maybe I'll get a crazy skimmer and get both!

Right now it looks like it will be a hector's goby but we shall see. I'm still looking into some other options.

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
So today my purple nem is looking really bad :( I have no idea what the problem is. Yesterday it looked great and today it's deflated and it's mouth is open. I was worried maybe the water got too warm(we are having record highs right now). I did an emergency water change and it looks a little better. I also hooked up my skimmer again, just seemed like a good idea. The stupid thing is so loud though.

Nothing else in the tank is unhappy. The other rock nem right next to the purple one looks happy and healthy. Even the maxi mini and my SPS are not upset. I tried looking online to figure out what could be wrong but very little info on rock anemones is out there. :(

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Hope it's okay for you. Bet it's just having an off day.

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
Got a new camera :) Not a DSLR but a nice little point and shoot. None of these images are altered, just cropped. Most of the colors are pretty spot on but it has some issues with the LEDs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some fun effects the camera can do

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,843 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
Looks great!!!!! Seems the anemone is ok today?????? It looks good in the photos, anyway :)

FlCandy

FlCandy

Tag Your It

• Members
  • 8,751 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2011
  • Arden, NC
Looks nice!