ReefCleaners.org

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

I use to have a baby plate coral that was pink and green. I sadly lost it to a temp drop though :(

Hosting anemones(bubble tips, carpets ect) are not recommended for small tanks but rock anemones and maxi minis are perfect for small tanks. I decided on rock anemones instead of maxi minis because 1)They don't have as powerful of a sting 2) I like them better 3) They tend not to wander(though my current one is taking a tour of the back of my tank) and finally 4) they are much less likely to eat fish!

They won't host my clowns but I have seen pictures of white porcelain crabs living in rock flower anemones :)

Here are some other examples of rock flower anemones:

Reef gardener has the best selection!

P1260034_01.JPG

P3050022.JPG

P1250035.JPG

I think my bleached one will end up looking like this eventually. It even has the crimped tentacles

PB270111.JPG

These are maxi minis

Sunshine1.JPG

P6250052.JPG

eveningblue.JPG

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you noticed if your rock flower anemone is sticky like a maxi mini? I think the rock flowers are so much prettier too....another bonus :)

Has yours arrived yet?

I saw it grab onto a hermit shells a couple days ago. It seemed to have a really good grip until the hermit was finally able to pull away. When I tried to feed it, it seemed to stick pretty well. I agree about them looking better. To me maxi minis look a lot like rics. I would rather have a ric garden and know they won't eat my fish :)

Package is due to arrive before 3pm CST.

It's here!!

I just finished acclimating the rock flower anemone. It was even open in the bag and is settling into the tank nicely.

I also got a very nice freebie ;)

It is still pretty angry. I'll get pictures up this evening.

The packaging was amazing and I have been very impressed with reef gardener. I will be leaving a positive feed back. I will also be ordering again! I just need some money XD

Pictures!!

First my blue shrooms because they looked nice today :)

blueshrooms.jpg

Also my blue sympodium finally opened up

symp.jpg

My clown because I love him :)

clown3-9.jpg

The elusive clown goby

clowngoby.jpg

Finally the nems :) :) :)

Yes I said Nems!

My freebie

maximini.jpg

And the main event

Right after being added to the tank(look closely to see who took an interest)

newlyaddedNem.jpg

About an hour later

newNem.jpg

Wow..nice freebie!!!! Morgan's awesome :)

That crab blends right in. I bet it never leaves that anemone!!!!!!! So cool....already something is hosted by it :happy:

Thanks!

The crab is totally in the anemone now. I'll have to get pictures tomorrow :) I'm trying to figure out how to convince my other rock anemone out of the back. It's getting a little light back there so it has stopped moving. I think I will have to think of a way to shade it.

Maybe since you got it in a bleached state, it's more sensitive to lighting. If you can reach it, keep feeding it. Once it gets back to health in your tank, hopefully it will move out. Otherwise you might have to remove rocks to get to it. Least you have that beautiful blue in the open. Get a FTS too, if you have time. I'd like to see where the anemone is placed in the tank. I love this tank :happy:

Wow not sure how I missed this tank! I like your pictures :) Your green clown goby is so adorable. I looked at some at my LFS but the next time I went back, they were all gone :( I hope yours comes out more soon so we can see more pictures!

Wow, yesterday was a nightmare. My dog seemed to be in a lot of pain and we couldn't figure out exactly where. We rushed her to the vet to find out she has a ruptured disk in her back. She's on pain meds and rest then I'm not sure what we are going to do.

Needless to say I got no pictures of the reef yesterday.

This morning my crab has vacated the anemone :( But everything is looking good. My green anemone moved a little higher in the back so I moved it to the side. It gets about the same amount of light but is now visible. It's got a tight hold on the rock and the mouth looks good. It won't eat though. I might have tried too big of a piece though.

The new purple anemone did take a piece of fish. It was awesome!

The maxi mini is also not interested in food. It looks good and hasn't moved but every morning before the lights come on it looks like it's spewing it's guts like mushrooms do. Once the light comes on it stops. Very odd and I can't find anything on the net about it. I'll just leave it be and hopefully it works itself out.

WOW! I love her site, and I can't wait to meet her in person on the 31st at the frag swap!

I love your clown, my husband called him a battle clown as he has how plate armor on! So awesome! Nice pic of the crab moving right on on the nem! SO cool!

New pictures :)

Full Tank

marchfull.jpg

The female kicked the male out of the frogspawn so now he lives in the duncan :)

hosting.jpg

Nems

fuzzynem.jpg

nemparty.jpg

partial.jpg

My birdsnest was looking very happy today :)

happybird.jpg

Beautiful!!!!! Your birdsnest does look very happy :happy:

What coral is the one at the bottom on the far right, below the frogspawn?

How's your dog doing?

mantisman379

I love your clownfish! I really would like to get one.

I believe that's some sort of sea fan, that's my best guess at least.

The new purple anemone did take a piece of fish. It was awesome!

The maxi mini is also not interested in food. It looks good and hasn't moved but every morning before the lights come on it looks like it's spewing it's guts like mushrooms do. Once the light comes on it stops. Very odd and I can't find anything on the net about it. I'll just leave it be and hopefully it works itself out.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog :(

That's cool about the new nem eating! I hope the other ones eat too. Sounds weird about the maxi mini.

The female kicked the male out of the frogspawn so now he lives in the duncan :)

:lol:

My fireball maxi mini that I got from reef gardener does this - it hasn't moved since I got it..nor expanded. It eats whatever I feed it...its just weird

My dog is totally herself this morning :) The meds have really helped her. She just needs to take it easy, (easier said than done. For 11 she's pretty active.

Gena- I believe you are referring to my purple gorg?

The maxi mini looks a lot better this morning. The more I think about it, I think I was trying to give it too big of a piece of fish. It has a very small mouth.

I'm glad everyone likes my clown so much :) There is another large reefing site I tend to visit that seems to have a hatred towards designer clowns, especially any that seem to have any defects. They seem to think they should all be culled. mine does have a "bulldog" face but he's healthy and eats well. Since he won't be breeding stock I don't see the issue. I'm terrified to post pictures of my little guy there :(

My jawfish did the weirdest thing yesterday. He took everything out of his burrow, all the way down to the glass. There was a huge piles I shells and corals pieces at the front of the tank. Then he took all the pieces and put them back. He totally redid his burrow lol. Today he's working on his second burrow.

Messed with the order of my panorama pro modules today. I use to have

white/blue

UV Stunner

magenta/blue

white/blue

Blue Stunner

With a blue stunner in the front

Now

White/blue

UV stunner

White blue

Blue stunner

magenta blue

I'm liking this better. everything in the front was looking washed out and now it looks better. Stuff in the back looks washed out now but it bothers me less.

Gena- I believe you are referring to my purple gorg?

Yep! I was. I thought it was a gorg, but then I wondered if it was a finger/colt leather. It's very pretty :happy:

I need to swap my lights as well. I have them both installed the same way. I really need to turn one around. If you look closely you can see that one side of the tank is more blue, and the other is more white. If I turn one around, it will be an even color throughout. I'm just too lazy to do anything about it :lol:

Last night after a glass (or two) of whine, I decided to break up one of the large rocks in the tank. So I took a hammer to it and rearranged the pieces. Not a huge scape change but I'm happy with it.

fulltank3-14.jpg

cornershotmarch.jpg

I added the rubble pieces to the jawfish's pile. The urchin raided it this morning and went a little crazy :)

crazyurchin.jpg

I cannot stop taking pictures of my nem!!

nemcrab2.jpg

nemcrab1.jpg

And my dog is feeling a lot better. here she is resting

zoeyresting.jpg

I added the rubble pieces to the jawfish's pile. The urchin raided it this morning and went a little crazy :)

crazyurchin.jpg

I cannot stop taking pictures of my nem!!

:lol: I love those tuxedo urchins. What is the red stuff?

It IS a good lookin nem B)

Archived