Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Wisconsinite Reef

HVani

Looks fantatic! I love how the jawfish is always poking out...seeing what's going on!!!! I would so get one of those if I could :)

How's the plate doing today?

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plate looks just about dead this morning :( I know plates can make recoveries so I'm keeping it around. My rics this morning looked a little upset so I did a water change. I think my hammer has been stinging them so I moved it. I just need to sell it and the problem will be gone.

I love my jawfish :) He's always busy with something and is so curious. He makes some stocking difficult though. They are very passive fish so I have to plan accordingly.

Ok so damsel, hammer coral and a large (for my tank) colony of zoas are all sold and gone. That clears up some room in my tank :)

Now for the bad news. I lost a ric to the same brown sludge that killed my plate coral. My new green ric has slime on it in the morning but it's easy to blow off with a turkey baster. I might still loose that one but for now it's holding on.

As I type this my black clown is introducing herself to the frogspawn. She won't let the picasso in so he's hanging out in the back. Kind of sad really :(

Anyway some pictures :)

This is the only SPS in my tank that didn't turn brown from the temperature swing. In fact it seems very happy

fuzzypink.jpg

My clown in the frogspawn

clowninfrog.jpg

I like this picture because you can see how some of the tentacles are multi color

bicolorclown.jpg

Mine

mine.jpg

Pardon the micro bubbles. It seems whenever I change out the filter floss I get bad micro bubbles for days.

And here is my little picasso. I want to take lots of pictures of him as he grows. In just the oast week he has started getting darker between his stripes and more black on his fins

week1.jpg

And here's a shot of their interactions. He hasn't fully submitted to her but does seem to do what she wants.

playfight.jpg

Yay for the clown in the frogspawn (pretty FS specimen, btw). In a previous tank my clown pair hosted two different things. One was in a leather coral and the other loved an open brain coral. The leather was large so the female would allow him in there with her at times, but he was the only one that enjoyed the open brain. Females can be so biotchy :lol: I think your female is expressing totally normal behavior.

I'm still thinking about a perching fish for my next fish. So far I'm considering:

Tailspot blenny

Green clown goby

Scooter blenny

Red head goby

I will admit that a Mandarin crossed my mind as well.

I just can't decide!!!

I'm leaning mostly towards a tailspot blenny.

I also decided I'm going to have a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse as my last fish. I think I will eventually end up getting one from Live aqua along with some freshwater fish for my 40 breeder.

After watching some videos it seems dragonets stay more on the sand bed than in the rocks. I want my next fish to mostly stay in the rocks so they are out. I don't want anything constantly on the sandbed stressing my jawfish out. Someday if I upgrade I'll gte one but not for this tank :)

That leaves

Tailspot blenny

Green clown goby

red head goby

oh you just wait....that picasso is gonna look amazing when its coloration grows in(like it doesnt already haha). give it lots of veggies..its so cooool!

its crazy how fast clowns color up....he'll look like a completely diff fish in 3 weeks(not really) but you get what im saying lol

The lesson from today is:

Make sure the back chambers of your AIO are clear.

I've been having issues with micro bubbles. I thought it was from my new bag of carbon but that didn't seem to be it. Today I went exploring in the back chamber of my tank. I found the pump was plugged with lots of cheato and bubble algae. I vacuum out the back regularly but have never checked the pump for debris.

Once the pump was clean, HOLY COW I have flow!! I had no idea it had been so reduced. I can't tell if the micro bubble issue has been solved because so much stuff is flying around. Time will tell

Haha the same thing happens to me every time I clean my freshwater tanks canister filter. As for new fish I'd go with a tail spot, they seem to have a lot of personality to them. I personally love the mandarin gobies(draganets I believe) and have been able to train one to eat frozen mysis shrimp. It takes awhile though ;) glad to see your tank progressing forward!

Ug I hate cleaning my freshwater canister filters! They get so gross.

Ug I saw this on DD tonight

0224121-229.jpg

Cute huh? Too bad I don't have the money. I think what I'm going to do is hold off on buying a new fish and let my corals grow in a bit. My SPS need to get a pretty good hold on the rock before they have anything perching on them. Maybe then DD will have some more neat nano blennies to pick from :)

Not a bad price, actually! I figured it be something outrageous $$$.$$ That's a nice size fish too :happy:

Too bad shipping makes it $60. Being in Wisconsin, do you get any sort of reduced shipping from LA? Seems I remember reading you don't...which really is B.S., if so.

It sounds just perfect :)

I have seen maybe 7 or so of these guys go through diver's den over the past 10 months. I think once I have the money it shouldn't be too much of a wait. They don't seem to be super rare.

Nope, no discount shipping <_<

Archived