4 replies to this topic

GTi

GTi

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Joined 14 Sep 2011
  • Michigan

Hi. I just ordered a DIY LED lighting kit from Rapid LED on Friday. The discounted prices were enough to get me off the fence!

I wanted to 'future proof' (and also the kits weren't on sale) so I bought components:

16 Royal Blue XP-E, 8 Neutral White XP-G, 2 Blue XP-E LEDs
4 Royal Blue Moonlight LEDS and driver
3 Meanwell ELN-60-48P dimmable drivers (One for white, 2 for RB/B)
5.9" x 16" heatsink (not drilled or tapped)
Thermal adhesive, wire, power cords.

I will be using a separate fan controller and 80 mm fan above the heatsink and a Typhon controller.

From a quick measurement of the splash shield inside the BC29's hood, it looks like the heatsink should fit but minor modification may be necessary.

From what I have read on the lighting forum, the 2 RB: 1 NW should look like what I want and the 2 B will bring out some other colours.

The white and blue will be on separate drivers allowing fine tuning of colour and intensity.

The LEDs will be close to the water's surface and so optics aren't needed.

I know that spacing of the LEDs can result in spotlighting and/or a disco ball effect if not done properly. I also want to space the LEDs out to get good coverage over the whole area of the tank.

I know I should alternate colours as much as possible to get good colour blending and I have seen that typical LED spacing is 2 - 3".

As the heatsink is large, there is a lot of real estate to play with and several potential LED layouts that I am considering:

1) 3 rows of 8 LEDs. Rows 2.5" apart, LEDs approx 2" apart (2 blue LEDS 1/3 and 2/3 across the length of the heatsink)

2) 4 rows (7, 6, 7, 6 LEDs). Rows 1.5" apart, LEDs approx 2" apart (inlcudes blues in main pattern)

3) As number 1) but rows 2" apart

4) Group 2 RB and 1 NW together to form a cluster. Have a row of 3 clusters, a row of 2 clusters and a row of 3 clusters. To 'fill' the heatsink will require clusters to be spaced 5" apart and rows 2" apart. I know 5" is too much for individual LEDs but will it work for groups?

Is it more important to maintain the 2" between LEDs and 3" between rows or to spread out the LEDs to get better coverage in the tank?

I would appreciate any comments or alternative suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited to add layout 4 and other comments

Edited by GTi, 27 November 2011 - 06:55 AM.

rapid LED

rapid LED

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2009

Hi. I just ordered a DIY LED lighting kit from Rapid LED on Friday. The discounted prices were enough to get me off the fence!

I wanted to 'future proof' (and also the kits weren't on sale) so I bought components:

16 Royal Blue XP-E, 8 Neutral White XP-G, 2 Blue XP-E LEDs
4 Royal Blue Moonlight LEDS and driver
3 Meanwell ELN-60-48P dimmable drivers (One for white, 2 for RB/B)
5.9" x 16" heatsink (not drilled or tapped)
Thermal adhesive, wire, power cords.

I will be using a separate fan controller and 80 mm fan above the heatsink and a Typhon controller.

From a quick measurement of the splash shield inside the BC29's hood, it looks like the heatsink should fit but minor modification may be necessary.

From what I have read on the lighting forum, the 2 RB: 1 NW should look like what I want and the 2 B will bring out some other colours.

The white and blue will be on separate drivers allowing fine tuning of colour and intensity.

The LEDs will be close to the water's surface and so optics aren't needed.

I know that spacing of the LEDs can result in spotlighting and/or a disco ball effect if not done properly. I also want to space the LEDs out to get good coverage over the whole area of the tank.

I know I should alternate colours as much as possible to get good colour blending and I have seen that typical LED spacing is 2 - 3".

As the heatsink is large, there is a lot of real estate to play with and several potential LED layouts that I am considering:

1) 3 rows of 8 LEDs. Rows 2.5" apart, LEDs approx 2" apart (2 blue LEDS 1/3 and 2/3 across the length of the heatsink)

2) 4 rows (7, 6, 7, 6 LEDs). Rows 1.5" apart, LEDs approx 2" apart (inlcudes blues in main pattern)

3) As number 1) but rows 2" apart

4) Group 2 RB and 1 NW together to form a cluster. Have a row of 3 clusters, a row of 2 clusters and a row of 3 clusters. To 'fill' the heatsink will require clusters to be spaced 5" apart and rows 2" apart. I know 5" is too much for individual LEDs but will it work for groups?

Is it more important to maintain the 2" between LEDs and 3" between rows or to spread out the LEDs to get better coverage in the tank?

I would appreciate any comments or alternative suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited to add layout 4 and other comments

I responded to your email last night, please let me know if you didn't get it or need additional information. Thanks.

GTi

GTi

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Joined 14 Sep 2011
  • Michigan

I responded to your email last night, please let me know if you didn't get it or need additional information. Thanks.

I got the email - thanks. In case anyone is interested, 3 rows of 8 LEDs with the RB and NW mixed up is the way to go. Mike also mentioned not to worry about getting right to the edge of the heatsink because the light will spread out without the optics and give good coverage.

fskywalker

fskywalker

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2011
do you have any pictures of the completed project?

Mungoo

Mungoo

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 20 Mar 2012
Here is what I do: refinish the inner gauge housings with a highly reflective paint. On the examples below I stripped the inner and outer bezels to Connector / Power Wire LED Controllers LED Power Supplies bare metal and repainted in mat-silver. I chose to paint the dial pointers the same mat-silver on the early gauges. On the late gauge I installed the BLUE LED strip lighting. Incandescente are meager and the LED strips are a HUGE difference over the BA7 LED bulbs! One customer has stated that these photo's don't do justice to the brightness from these lights.

Edited by Mungoo, 20 March 2012 - 10:13 PM.