Top Shelf Aquatics

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Well that was educational alright, I had no idea how to make perfect mounds. Didn't know you had to make it do that. I just thought there must be a kind that mounds, and another that doesn't. You learn something every day. Love this hobby.

I think they can mound up on their own, but it take a lot longer for them to grow up as opposed to out. This technique just made it easier for them to round off.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

Following this build. Amazing organization skills dude!

Thanks BA! I'm in the midst of a pretty major change. More details to come!
Mr. Microscope

I improved on the upcoming rock scape a little. This thing is really a twist from bottom to top and there's tons more room for corals. I'll be traveling next week, but when I return I'm planning to execute the change protocol.

newpillar20140728_zpsec3c6f56.jpg

• Like 5
Mr. Microscope

if that works which I don't see why it wouldn't doing giant tonga branches using the same method would make for a very cool look.

Wow! Great idea! I do have a giant tonga branch. hmmm...
  • Like 1

Keeping an eye on your scaping, I will be making a pillar for the rear of my tank after removing all of the rock covered in Xenia. I hope the move goes well :).

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Keeping an eye on your scaping, I will be making a pillar for the rear of my tank after removing all of the rock covered in Xenia. I hope the move goes well :).

Thanks Rolla!

Through I've really enjoyed my current pillar (and my late cardinal REALLY loved it), all the overhang has really limited me on corals. This new rockscape should open up new options for me. The lower left (and going up the spiral) is where the acan garden will go, e. quads will go up top, the torch on the left middle, and various SPS on the ends of branch pieces sticking out here and there. I'm contemplating adding a very shallow layer of sand, but my current is extremely strong. I fear it will get blown around too much.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

I just got back from my trip to CT.

You could say I've missed a bit here. Forgive my lack of posting while I catch up.

imagejpg1_zpsea13c54b.jpg

• Like 3

That new rock pillar is so cool! I'm blown away by the colors in this tank, but the huge draw to me are those ghost acans. omgomgomg:wub: They are so pretty!

Are your clowns regular perculas or a color morph? I'm looking at clowns for my upcoming cube and was thinking "Black Ice" but I like the ratio of orange to black on yours.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

That new rock pillar is so cool! I'm blown away by the colors in this tank, but the huge draw to me are those ghost acans. omgomgomg:wub: They are so pretty!

Are your clowns regular perculas or a color morph? I'm looking at clowns for my upcoming cube and was thinking "Black Ice" but I like the ratio of orange to black on yours.

Thanks owenj! Yeah, the ghosts have maintained their color perfectly. They're really unique compared to the regular red/green/rainbow varieties that are out there by the handful.

I got my clowns as regular percs when they were just pups. They've continued to get more and more black in them as they age and they've always had the gladiator sideburns. I really like the black ice. My personal favorites at the moment are the buckshots. Though, if you don't want to put big money into a clown, there are a lot of interesting looking ones out there sold as regular clowns. I keep seeing cool misbars at the LFS.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Moar pics!

:) :) :)

Well, here's some more rock that will be going into the new scape. It's just straight up coral bone!

skeleton_zpsbcd3e2c5.jpg

I also took a picture of this the other day. I have no idea what it is (other than acro), but it was a freebie from Cherry Corals. It's been an extremely slow grower, but the pic really doesn't do it justice. It's less green and more highlighter yellow/green. Really, one of the brightest I've seen. I believe when it starts branching that it should shoot out some baby blues.

mysteryacro20140808_zps49192102.jpg

That's it for the moment. Thanks for the request! ;)

I'm starting my transition. So, the tank is kinda in disarray at the moment. I bought a 10 gallon to use as a holding tank and have that set up at the moment. I'm planning to introduce a coral to it tonight to test out the water, so to speak. If all goes well, I'll continue the transfer.

• Like 2

Thanks owenj! Yeah, the ghosts have maintained their color perfectly. They're really unique compared to the regular red/green/rainbow varieties that are out there by the handful.

I got my clowns as regular percs when they were just pups. They've continued to get more and more black in them as they age and they've always had the gladiator sideburns. I really like the black ice. My personal favorites at the moment are the buckshots. Though, if you don't want to put big money into a clown, there are a lot of interesting looking ones out there sold as regular clowns. I keep seeing cool misbars at the LFS.

They definitely stand out amongst the other acans--not that there's anything wrong with the colorful though :lol:. Those buckshot clowns are pretty, but I'm guessing they cost more than "regular" black ice clowns. Although, after seeing your perculas I might end up going that route. How old are they?

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

They definitely stand out amongst the other acans--not that there's anything wrong with the colorful though :lol:. Those buckshot clowns are pretty, but I'm guessing they cost more than "regular" black ice clowns. Although, after seeing your perculas I might end up going that route. How old are they?

I think they're about three years old at the moment.
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

In a brief follow-up to my transition (the planned protocol here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/349146-rescaping-done-with-bryopsis-advice-welcome/ ), I put a small colony of acans in the holding tank last night to see how it would hold up.

After putting the coral in the tank, I added a small scoop of reef chili in the tank to perk it up a little. It seemed to work. It was looking a little rough at first, but here it is this morning.

testacans20140815_zps4ec50298.jpg

Looks pretty happy to me.

My holding tank consists of a cheap 10 gallon AGA, a 150W heater, an old K2 powerhead, an AC70, and a cheap light (i know, insufficient, but this will be very short term). I trade off between the AC70 and K2 (too much trickling noise at night and the holding tank is located in my bedroom closet).

holdingtank20140815_zps532a27a4.jpg

This weekend, I'm going to try to get the rest of the acan colonies and some other corals in there for the observation period.

In other tank news, I've finally gotten red polyps and hot pink coralites out of my Red Planet!!!! I believe this is due to running a much cleaner system (bare bottom + biopellets), and feeding my tank 2-3 times per week with BRS Reef Chili and Red Sea Reef Energy A&B. The proof is in the pudding:

RP0220140815_zpscf70d672.jpg

• Like 7
Mr. Microscope

dang...just spent all night transferring over acans and a few other corals to my holding tank. I gave up on using the dremmel as it wouldn't go through the rock very well because the blade was too small. Also, the way it was cutting, it was spewing up coral powder into the air. It's not palys, but it still had me paranoid. I ended up using bone cutters and trimming away at the rocks surrounding the colonies. I also used a liberal amount of superglue on areas touching the colonies and on rock that I couldn't chip away with the cutters. I also started making water to get my new rock going with Dr. Tim's.

I'm exhausted mentally and physically. Pics tomorrow.

dang...just spent all night transferring over acans and a few other corals to my holding tank. I gave up on using the dremmel as it wouldn't go through the rock very well because the blade was too small. Also, the way it was cutting, it was spewing up coral powder into the air. It's not palys, but it still had me paranoid. I ended up using bone cutters and trimming away at the rocks surrounding the colonies. I also used a liberal amount of superglue on areas touching the colonies and on rock that I couldn't chip away with the cutters. I also started making water to get my new rock going with Dr. Tim's. I'm exhausted mentally and physically. Pics tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

As promised, here's the results of last night's work:

holdingtank20140818_zps3f78d449.jpg

holdingtank0220140818_zps682619c9.jpg

I just have to move the SPS, torch, nems, and fish over after the holding period and new rock is ready.

• Like 5
Mr. Microscope

nice collection there, how fast do your acans grow? do they seem to vary by morph?

Thanks hey!

They do vary by morph, but in general quite fast. It didn't take long for all of them to go from, "hey, look! there's a new polyp" to, "I don't know, 20-30 heads?, whatever.." The smaller ones on the right are new.