SaltCritters.com

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Here's a brief update on my splitting nems. They seem to have settled in/healed up after the drama of splitting and are now both happy as can be. BTW, they've been extended/not bubbled up for the last month or so. So, there goes my long pulse mode theory.

nemspostsplit20140403_zpsbdfe135f.jpg

Also, look what came in the mail this week, and all the way from Greece at that!

biopellets_zps4e2171df.jpg

They came from member ALexpsycho who generously gave and mailed them to me. Here's an awesome article on his stunning reef:

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/alex-stambs-greek-nsw-nano-tank-profile-2945/

Thanks Alex!

• Like 5
Mr. Microscope

Got a few sexy top-down shots last night. Those are my favorite.

Click for full res.

Here's what's going on in my acan gardens on the left and right sides of my tank:

leftsidetopdown20140407_zps679b93dd.jpg

rightsidetopdown20140407_zps3efe3d6e.jpg

Here's my Red Planet living on the edge. One small part of it is now getting fried by my nem, but I'm not planning to move it. I think the nem might migrate a little further up the rock. So, I think the acro will be okay.

NemandRedPlanet20140407_zpsdab26cc6.jpg

Here's a nice shot of the new e. quad clone. I like the drop-off feel here with my clown out of focus. This one looks really nice blown up on my big screen at work.

nemdropoff20140407_zps4504eddb.jpg

• Like 10

These are some absolutely stunning shots! I love how nicely the rainbow coloration on those nems shows up and then drop off from the bonsai pillar looks so neat! Thanks for sharing :)

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

One of my Nassarius Vibex has been hanging around the top of my tank lately and I suddenly noticed that it was probing with it's feeder. So, I decided to give it a snack. Check out the footage. I think Aphex Twin did a good job with the soundbite here. lol, enjoy!

• Like 8
Mr. Microscope

finally_zps3c351683.png

IMG_2836_zps91abfd7f.jpg

Today, I received my shipment from Coral Collection!

I got a Purple Rain, Speckled Green, Rainbow Rose, True Rose (though, I think it's a Rainbow), Speckled Rose, and Glowstick. Matt threw in an extra nem for me and a bag of chaeto. Everything looks okay with the exception of the Speckled Green and maybe the Purple Rain. I'm fairly certain the speckled green is a goner. The Purple rain isn't looking so hot, but it might make it. I'm going to give them a few hours before I chuck anything. LOTS more pics to come!

• Like 5

Here's a brief update on my splitting nems. They seem to have settled in/healed up after the drama of splitting and are now both happy as can be. BTW, they've been extended/not bubbled up for the last month or so. So, there goes my long pulse mode theory.

nemspostsplit20140403_zpsbdfe135f.jpg

Also, look what came in the mail this week, and all the way from Greece at that!

biopellets_zps4e2171df.jpg

They came from member ALexpsycho who generously gave and mailed them to me. Here's an awesome article on his stunning reef:

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/alex-stambs-greek-nsw-nano-tank-profile-2945/

Thanks Alex!

FYI, i've been using those NPX Bioplastics in my Nuvo SR-80 since day 1 (last december). Not a single iota of algae in 5 months. Keeps the nutrient levels perfect, especially when used in tandem with a good skimmer. Have you used them yet? If not, go sloooowww. I went with the recommended amount and had a massive bacteria bloom. Threw a UV filter on there for 24 hours and it cleared it right up.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Are these the nems FINALLY?! :happydance:

Yuppers! :) They came USPS today and it was garunteed by noon. It came at like 11:50. I was chomping at the bit all morning.

FYI, i've been using those NPX Bioplastics in my Nuvo SR-80 since day 1 (last december). Not a single iota of algae in 5 months. Keeps the nutrient levels perfect, especially when used in tandem with a good skimmer. Have you used them yet? If not, go sloooowww. I went with the recommended amount and had a massive bacteria bloom. Threw a UV filter on there for 24 hours and it cleared it right up.

Thanks ghamphrey! I haven't started with them yet. I still need to get a reactor. I just thrown a like three or four in my skimmer. I figure when I start using them, I'll just ad like one or two a day until I get somewhere I'm happy. Thanks for the warning!

Back to the E-Quads.

Here's the two I'm concerned about. The Speckled Green in the bag:

IMG_2837_zps7077dd19.jpg

and in the water:

speckeledgreen20140417_zps94788e7f.jpg

Here's the Purple Rain in the bag (it's really tiny, like the size of a quarter (though deflated)):

IMG_2839_zps849527cf.jpg

IMG_2838_zpseb98d24d.jpg

And in the tank..I'm really holding out hope for this one:

purplerain20140417_zps5e547801.jpg

Here's the rest. They look a little rough, but it's just from shipping. I'm pretty sure these will be fine.

Glow Stick

glowstick20140417_zps0435d0d9.jpg

This was labeled as Rose. Again, I think it's a Rainbow:

truerose20140417_zpsc3e64442.jpg

Rainbow Rose:

rainbowrose20140417_zps543476db.jpg

Speckled Rose (This one seemed the happiest of all the shipment):

speckledrose20140417_zps74a2bdff.jpg

All these pics were taken with just my single one watt LED moonlight. I set me lights to only come to 60% (450mA-600mA/no optics)rather than the normal 100% (750mA-1000mA/no optics) for today to give them a little time to adjust to my lighting. Though Matt says he has pretty much the same lighting I do. So, I imagine they will be fine. Just want to give them some breaking in time. I'll post more pics as the lights come on and they start to inflate.

• Like 5

GL with those nems! Sometimes they have a habit of looking like they are on the verge of death, but they are just annoyed or pooping lol. Funny that way.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

GL with those nems! Sometimes that have a habit of looking like they are on the verge of death, but they are just annoyed or pooping lol. Funny that way.

Thanks Ark!
Polarcollision

Hello All,

One of my Nassarius Vibex has been hanging around the top of my tank lately and I suddenly noticed that it was probing with it's feeder. So, I decided to give it a snack. Check out the footage. I think Aphex Twin did a good job with the soundbite here. lol, enjoy!

That was deliciously weird! :-)

• Like 1

Finally! Yay!!! I hope they all pull through :happydance:.

Do you have to light acclimate them with screening or something? I know you want to keep them all at the top of the pillar, just curious how you get them to stay put?

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

That was deliciously weird! :-)

lolz, Thanks PC!

Look forward to seeing how those nems look when they are happy.

Me too! They're all hiding right now. I'm guessing it'll take them a while to start coming out. Some of them have moved into the shadows under the overhang.

I think they look beautiful even when unhappy. Colors look pretty already.

Thanks 1st!

Finally! Yay!!! I hope they all pull through :happydance:.

Do you have to light acclimate them with screening or something? I know you want to keep them all at the top of the pillar, just curious how you get them to stay put?

Me too. It's hard to say. I think the speckled green might make it now that I'm looking at it. I really hope it doesn't rot overnight and foul the tank. It either moved or blew into it's current crevice. I'm not sure, but I think I see a little inflation.

I have my LED's dimmed down 30%. Though, perhaps I should have done more. I think I'll leave them where they are until I see the nems inflate a little more/come out of their hiding places.

• Like 1

Sexy order u had finally come in. Those damn polar vortexes where a bear for shipping those things. Glad you finally got them in. Look forward to a post full of happy looking nems in a few days

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Sexy order u had finally come in. Those damn polar vortexes where a bear for shipping those things. Glad you finally got them in. Look forward to a post full of happy looking nems in a few days

Thanks Reefed! Yeah, the weather really screwed me this year. Lesson learned. I'll only be ordering online when the weather is warmer from now on. Though, seriously this polar vortex thing really has me thinking about leaving the midwest. I friend of mine at UCSD claims that there is an opening for a microscopist in on of the labs. Would be nice to live near the ocean again. I believe the reefing scene is a lot better out there too.

I can't believe how much these things are traveling around (a couple have moved like at least a foot since yesterday). It's entertaining and nerve-racking. Only one has stayed put. The others are all under the overhang. Hopefully, they'll make their way back to the top soon. I'm a little worried that some will establish themselves in the dark which might be an issue. Though, I figure if they want more light that they'll just move up on their own.

• Like 2

Thanks Reefed! Yeah, the weather really screwed me this year. Lesson learned. I'll only be ordering online when the weather is warmer from now on. Though, seriously this polar vortex thing really has me thinking about leaving the midwest. I friend of mine at UCSD claims that there is an opening for a microscopist in on of the labs. Would be nice to live near the ocean again. I believe the reefing scene is a lot better out there too.

I can't believe how much these things are traveling around (a couple have moved like at least a foot since yesterday). It's entertaining and nerve-racking. Only one has stayed put. The others are all under the overhang. Hopefully, they'll make their way back to the top soon. I'm a little worried that some will establish themselves in the dark which might be an issue. Though, I figure if they want more light that they'll just move up on their own.

San Diego is wonderful....DO IT!!!! We'd practically be neighbors :D.
  • Like 2

Hey Mr. Microscope. I was following a YouTube channel and he just posted this vid. Thought you might like it. Your vid of "things go bump in the night" title had me think of your vid.

• Like 2

I hope the nems are all doing well for you! I'm getting 3 BTA's shipped to me soon and since I have no experience with BTA's, I'm sure I'm going to be worrying about whether or not they're ok. Seems like its hard to tell if they're PO'd or on their way out. Hopefully all yours move into the light and bubble up nicely soon!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

San Diego is wonderful....DO IT!!!! We'd practically be neighbors :D.

That's what I've heard. The only place in the country to have above average temps this year. From what I understand it never gets too intensely hot there too. Ideal weather for me.

It'd sure make trading corals a lot easier! ;)

Hey Mr. Microscope. I was following a YouTube channel and he just posted this vid. Thought you might like it. Your vid of "things go bump in the night" title had me think of your vid.

W'oh!! That puffer showed up, and I was like, "no f'ing way!!!!!" Awesome. Thanks for posting this neuwave. The gong at the end also reminded me of my kung fu crabs video.

Good lord that thing is creepy! Its like a real life Tremor lol.

Loving your tank by the way Mr.Microscope!

Sand worm for realz!

Thanks slown!

I hope the nems are all doing well for you! I'm getting 3 BTA's shipped to me soon and since I have no experience with BTA's, I'm sure I'm going to be worrying about whether or not they're ok. Seems like its hard to tell if they're PO'd or on their way out. Hopefully all yours move into the light and bubble up nicely soon!

Thanks Felcia! I can't wait to get home tonight and see where they are.

For the rock you're planning to put them, make little nests out of rock rubble. They like to feel protected on all sides. Also, make sure they have a hole to go into initially. They'll probably go in and hide for a while then come out as they adjust to the light.

• Like 2