Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

I just had a big order of SPS from Unique Corals arrive. I believe it was 7 frags, along with an order of 9 frags from Vivid Aquariums. Of the seventeen that arrived I lost one of the Vivid frags overnight to RTN. Everything else has done well and started to color up a bit more. This is the second order I've had from Unique, the first one was a single Strawberry Shortcake Acro frag that STN'd over a period of a few weeks but I think that was more related to the dinoflagellate problem I was experiencing. All in all, Unique Corals has been a great experience thus far.

Good to hear your experiences were positive. Yeah, I figure this is kinda a test order. If all goes well, I think UC may become my go-to source for ordering corals online. I remember when they were the zoa kings back when the operation was run out of Manhattan Aquariums. Fun times..

Tanks looking better and better! Glad to hear the nems are still improving too.... :)

Thanks Chris! One of them started walking around yesterday. It ventured out onto the end of a branch rock (luckily not one with SPS on it yet), and was about to land on one of my acan colonies. I was like, "oh no you di-int!" Fortunately, they are very easy to remove while walking. I picked it up and put it on top of the rock scape and it seems very happy there now.

I knew you couldn't stay away from SPS for long... :D

Yeah....the SPS bug has been nipping me pretty hard lately. :rolleyes: I actually got the New Life Spectrum Nutri-Cell microfeeder and a bottle of Acro Power the other day. Between that, the Reef Chili and Red Sea Energy A&B that I was already using, and the new All-In-One biopellets I'm running, I'm hoping to have my SPS looking stellar again in due time.

The new scape and frags look great! Sorry to hear about the urchin and the BTAs. I hope they pull through.

Thanks Ark! Me too.

• Like 3
Mr. Microscope

Yeah it's been a great experience, plus all of the stock frags they sent, the plugs were completely encrusted over. So much so that my red planet is actually encrusting the underside.

Awesome! That blue guy is a stock frag. I'm wondering if it's going to arrive fresh cut or encrusted.
Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

Got out the camera today to help document progress for myself. Color is still, m'eh on a lot of stuff, but making progress. It'll be nice to compare these shots down the line when things are starting to peak. I'll go down the line from SPS to nems to LPS.

For starters, here's another look at that frag I picked up the other day. Call me crazy, but I wanna say color is improving already. (?) IDK if that AcroPower stuff is playing a roll or not, but at the moment I'm dosing 1mL/day. It seems to have lightened up a bit from dark green.

ANasuta0120140915_zps8c9c6004.jpg

ANasuta0220140915_zpsd9e7b861.jpg

The Palmers Blue is getting its blue tips back and I'm seeing some potential new growth spots. If you look at the bottom of the frag here you'll see a light spot where a branch is likely going to pop out.

PB20140915_zpsd8daa859.jpg

This stylo needs to recover some color yet, but PE is stellar.

stylo20140915_zpscd456d96.jpg

As for the nems...sigh...

Some are looking better than others. Most of them are closed about half the time. Though, when opened look somewhat okay.

This one is doing pretty well and should make it.

BTA0120140915_zps8976578c.jpg

This pic pretty much sums up the dichotomy of my BTA health:

BTA0220140915_zps0065c6f4.jpg

I'm very happy with my LPS progress. A lot of the acans still need to recover some color but are making progress. Here's one that's looking a bit bricky at the moment, but has some potential.

Acans0220140915_zps6ea80192.jpg

This one is looking very healthy but is missing a lot of yellow and blue.

acans0120140915_zpsea7cf8c4.jpg

These Hulk Acans have grown severy new babies and what used to be tiny heads are about half way to full size.

acans0320140915_zps5143987e.jpg

My blastos are looking stellar. I've always been impressed with the intensity of the red in this coral.

blastos20140915_zps2f22c344.jpg

I've gotta close by showing off the torch. Now clearly two delineated heads. I'm looking forward to seeing that become four in time.

Torch20140915_zpsb215a570.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for checking in!

• Like 10
Mr. Microscope

Such a beautiful torch. May the torch be with you.

lol! Thanks 1st!

lightsaberfight.gif

Stop it already! Way cool Mr M! B)

Thanks Friar!

Nice pics- tanks looking good

Thank you Sk8n!

Lovely macro shots as usual :)

Thanks Felicia!
Mr. Microscope

Check out what I picked up from the local FedEx today!

UCBox02_zps525ad2af.jpg

It's sufficient to say that I was VERY impressed with the packing job. For starters, Unique Corals used this box that is roughly a square foot; this is much larger than necessary for just one coral. The care they put into packing this $28 coral was above and beyond. Outside of the triple bagging, the coral was surrounded by a bunch of packing penuts, the box lined with 1" foam, and top packed with paper and two extra bags of water for temp control.

UCbox01_zps33c2287c.jpg

This was a stock piece and it came well healed and encrusted on the plug. I'm guessing it was on the plug at least a month before they put it on their site. Although, the frag was advertised as 3/4", it looks more along the lines of 1" to me. Bonus!

BTW, did I mention overnight shipping is only $19!?

UCSuperBlue20140917_zps84035df9.jpg

I can't really get the colors quite right in the pic, but it's a very nice pastel blue that practically glows. I've very happy with Unique Corals and would definitely order from them again.

You can see a little algae on this plug. Following my standard protocol for new frags, I quickly removed the coral and reglued it to a fresh plug. I have a place prepared for it on the end of a branch rock. I'll be mounting it there soon.

• Like 8

Beautiful pics. Hope the rest of your BTAs pull through. I'm a sucker for green so that one you showed looks A+ to me :lol:. Love how intense the red/green combo on your blastos is. I'll bet it glows when your blues are dialed up.

I think I need to start following your standard new-frag-to-fresh-plug protocol. I have a uniquecorals order coming next week...better start prepping some rubble.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Beautiful pics. Hope the rest of your BTAs pull through. I'm a sucker for green so that one you showed looks A+ to me :lol:. Love how intense the red/green combo on your blastos is. I'll bet it glows when your blues are dialed up.

I think I need to start following your standard new-frag-to-fresh-plug protocol. I have a uniquecorals order coming next week...better start prepping some rubble.

Thanks Jaime! Yes, those blastos are really one of my favorites with the blues. Their fluorescence is blindingly intense.

Yeah, plugs can be a big source of pests/algae. It's better to just ditch them from before they get in your tank if you can help it.

Can't wait to see your UC stuff. What did you order?

• Like 1

Thanks Jaime! Yes, those blastos are really one of my favorites with the blues. Their fluorescence is blindingly intense.

Yeah, plugs can be a big source of pests/algae. It's better to just ditch them from before they get in your tank if you can help it.

Can't wait to see your UC stuff. What did you order?

Green blastos and my first candy canes :happydance:

• Like 1

FWIW, IMO once the plug hits your tank, your tank is at risk for pests. Which is why I am extremely picky on plug/base protocol, it is a very important part to help keep the nasties out. Its not 100%, obviously dipping and if possible QT are major parts too, but the most dreaded pests lay eggs on the plugs/ dead areas as well ;)

The new piece looks like a nice score BTW :)

• Like 2

Hey Mr M. looking good. Things will look better once you go back to all SPS *cough*. :D

Good luck with the super blue, mine STN'ed starting about a week after I got it and was dead in 2 weeks. No clue why, and nothing else in the tank ever showed any stress. Everything else I've gotten from unique has been stellar and is growing well.

If I were you I would get on the list to get a frag of Kat's "katropora". I am constantly amazed at just how good it looks and so far it's been effortless.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Green blastos and my first candy canes :happydance:

Awesome! Can't wait to see them. I'm following your thread now BTW ;)

FWIW, IMO once the plug hits your tank, your tank is at risk for pests. Which is why I am extremely picky on plug/base protocol, it is a very important part to help keep the nasties out. Its not 100%, obviously dipping and if possible QT are major parts too, but the most dreaded pests lay eggs on the plugs/ dead areas as well ;)

The new piece looks like a nice score BTW :)

Thanks Chris!

Hey Mr M. looking good. Things will look better once you go back to all SPS *cough*. :D

Good luck with the super blue, mine STN'ed starting about a week after I got it and was dead in 2 weeks. No clue why, and nothing else in the tank ever showed any stress. Everything else I've gotten from unique has been stellar and is growing well.

If I were you I would get on the list to get a frag of Kat's "katropora". I am constantly amazed at just how good it looks and so far it's been effortless.

lol, it's something I'm considering. Although, my favorite rainbow nem is starting to get some color back.

Thanks for the heads up on your Super Blue. I hope I can keep mine going. On UC, it says it's a hearty SPS. I hope that holds true for me. I just mounted it to my display rock today. I'm getting decent PE. Feeding microfood, AcroPower, and Red Sea Reef Energy A&B. I hope that can bring it over the edge to happy growth.

I have a Unique box I saved...nicest box ever :). Your tank and inhabitants are looking stellar!!!! :)

lol, agreed. Thanks Gena!
  • Like 3
Mr. Microscope

I've been noticing trace amounts of algae and diatoms lately. So, I tested for Nitrates on Friday.

4ppm!!! :eek:

10 gallon water change tonight and it's back to 1ppm... Before I switched rock, I always got undetectable levels. This must have been because of all the algae I had. Hopefully, the biopellets will start kicking in soon (they've only been running for two weeks). I also upped the amount from 15mL to 30mL.

Additionally, I noticed alk was a bit low (about 6.4) I've gotten that gently back to 8.4 over the weekend. I'll have to start monitoring alk a bit more. It was always fairly stable before the change over. I've been getting better growth lately. So...

Mr. Microscope

Just place my second order with Unique Corals. I need a CUC and they had the exact snails I was looking for. Banded Trochus and Nassarius Vibex!!! Been looking around for someone that sold those with no luck and low and behold UC comes through! While I was there, I figured I might as well pick up this: 1inch-ice-fire-echinata-48-inventory-8.j

Should have them Thursday.

• Like 9
Just place my second order with Unique Corals.

I need a CUC and they had the exact snails I was looking for. Banded Trochus and Nassarius Vibex!!! Been looking around for someone that sold those with no luck and low and behold UC comes through! While I was there, I figured I might as well pick up this:

1inch-ice-fire-echinata-48-inventory-8.j

Should have them Thursday.

That is gorgeous. Can't wait to see your update on Thursday!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

That is gorgeous. Can't wait to see your update on Thursday!

Thanks Lily! This is another stock frag. So, it's not WYSIWYG, but I was very happy with my last stock frag from UC. Hopefully, this one will shine just as bright!

I picked up a not-WYSIWYG (they're cheaper too) from them, and was more than happy with it. I'm sure you'll love it. Now you've done it...I need to beef up my CUC too and that $15 overnight in-state shipping is the bomb :D.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

I picked up a not-WYSIWYG (they're cheaper too) from them, and was more than happy with it. I'm sure you'll love it. Now you've done it...I need to beef up my CUC too and that $15 overnight in-state shipping is the bomb :D.

Yep. At the moment my CUC consists of only one snail that's done nothing but hang out in the upper corner of my tank for the last two weeks. I've managed to keep most stuff at bay through nutrient control. I like to keep nassarius around to clean up uneaten food and as insurance in case something dies, but I'm staring to question the value of so called algae eating snails. We'll see how well they perform.
  • Like 1