Pod Your Reef

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Okay. So, after a bit of a learning curve with the Marine Color dosing system I believe I have everything turned in and working!

I'm so happy to report that Alk levels (and Calcium in turn), have stayed constant for the last three days straight without any manual dosing. It's looking like 80mL/day is the magic number for me in my 25 gallons.

Alk is at 8.3 and Ca at 450.

I'm right here in my head now...

beach-waves-o.gif

I gotta send a special shout-out to mptsi05 for selling me the doser and accessories and helping me figure everything out. Thanks man! ;)

I have one more available dosing pump/well in my dosing container. Any suggestions?

• Like 5

Your tank is stunning bro, hope mine turns out as nice as yours looks. I need me a frag of that fauxins;) I'm glad you got the doser all squared away.

• Like 1
SpankythePyro

Shooting around last night, I noticed that the Joe the coral is continuing to take off, or at least one branch of it is.

Here it was back on December 14th:

e1410631-a8ad-49a8-bf14-65c428d35148_zps

Today:

Joe%202015.02.26_zpsqfawchg4.jpg

That is the craziest PE I've seen on an SPS ever

• Like 3
Mr. Microscope

Your tank is stunning bro, hope mine turns out as nice as yours looks. I need me a frag of that fauxins;) I'm glad you got the doser all squared away.

Thank you! The fauxkins is really getting nice. It looks a lot cooler than it did a while ago. It's growing super fast and is almost all blue now! You can definitely HAVE a frag of it when it gets a little bigger. Larcat named it. It was sold to him as a Hawkins, but turned out to be something a lot cooler. It's one of those heirloom corals that just needs to be given out.

Shooting around last night, I noticed that the Joe the coral is continuing to take off, or at least one branch of it is.

Here it was back on December 14th:

e1410631-a8ad-49a8-bf14-65c428d35148_zps

Today:

Joe%202015.02.26_zpsqfawchg4.jpg

That is the craziest PE I've seen on an SPS ever

Thank you Spanky! I loves me some PE! That's the ORA Joe the Coral. It's a fuzzy one!

Wow, 80ml in 25 gallons and I'm at 90ml in 150. I need more corals!

Fill 'er up!
  • Like 3
Mr. Microscope

I just gave away my octospawn to someone with a bigger tank and less sensitive corals. No more losing acro branches or acan heads. It seemed I was losing about two acan heads/week.

• Like 2

I just gave away my octospawn to someone with a bigger tank and less sensitive corals. No more losing acro branches or acan heads. It seemed I was losing about two acan heads/week.

Yea, too bad they don't play nice with others.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Yea, too bad they don't play nice with others.

Agreed. It was a beautiful piece. I just couldn't stand to see my acans take so many hits. I'm thinking about maybe replacing it with another gold torch or maybe some lower light SPS like a ponape birdsnest or purple stylo.
  • Like 2

Agreed. It was a beautiful piece. I just couldn't stand to see my acans take so many hits. I'm thinking about maybe replacing it with another gold torch or maybe some lower light SPS like a ponape birdsnest or purple stylo.

Avoid the purple stylo, it's a weed and will need constant trimming. I was able to pick up an Orchid stylo, which has the same purplish polyps but some green skin and pink growth tips. Not sure how fast it will grow yet. I like my gold torch, never bothers anything, and I also like the ponape idea.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Avoid the purple stylo, it's a weed and will need constant trimming. I was able to pick up an Orchid stylo, which has the same purplish polyps but some green skin and pink growth tips. Not sure how fast it will grow yet. I like my gold torch, never bothers anything, and I also like the ponape idea.

Thanks for the heads-up on the stylo. I have a rainbow stylo which grows pretty fast, but not out of control at the moment. I was thinking about one of those stylos that grow super thick branches almost like porites. My rainbow stylo almost looks like a pocci in its branch structure.

Here's a pic of it from about a month ago.

stylo_zpskzacxfxh.jpg

Reefwise, about an hour away from me usually has the long tentacle aussi variety of the gold torch. I used to have the stubby version of it. Another thought was perhaps a hammer. I've never owned a hammer before. I really like the blue/orange wall hammers, but they're really pricey.

I'm thinking about the ponape and wondering if lower light will make it look lame. I think they really get the best green/pink tips in more intense lighting. I really like the growth pattern of the ponape though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up on the stylo. I have a rainbow stylo which grows pretty fast, but not out of control at the moment. I was thinking about one of those stylos that grow super thick branches almost like porites. My rainbow stylo almost looks like a pocci in its branch structure.

Here's a pic of it from about a month ago.

Reefwise, about an hour away from me usually has the long tentacle aussi variety of the gold torch. I used to have the stubby version of it. Another thought was perhaps a hammer. I've never owned a hammer before. I really like the blue/orange wall hammers, but they're really pricey.

I'm thinking about the ponape and wondering if lower light will make it look lame. I think they really get the best green/pink tips in more intense lighting. I really like the growth pattern of the ponape though.

That coral looks like a Poci to me, but hard to tell. I posted a pic of my orchid stylo in my 29 gallon thread.

Hammers can be mean, really mean, so watch out. :)

The ponape looks much much better in lower light, I am constantly bleaching mine out at the bottom of my tank but under 280-300 PAR. IMO it prefers around 200 or a little less. Worth a try I think, it looks fantastic under LED.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

That coral looks like a Poci to me, but hard to tell. I posted a pic of my orchid stylo in my 29 gallon thread.

Hammers can be mean, really mean, so watch out. :)

The ponape looks much much better in lower light, I am constantly bleaching mine out at the bottom of my tank but under 280-300 PAR. IMO it prefers around 200 or a little less. Worth a try I think, it looks fantastic under LED.

There's a bunch of different stylos out there from what I can tell. I agree, this one does look more poci-ish, though doesn't grow nearly as fast as poci.

Thank you for sharing your experience with hammers. I think I may hold back on that now.

Really?! Lower light, eh? The ponape is sounding more and more tempting. Cool cool! :)

Was it the frogspawn I gave you?

Cause those need 0 flow almost. Lol I hate it when It releases those stinging bits of flesh.

Yup. That's the one. I warned the next owner about it too, but it's hard to say no to a free coral ;) . I think his 40B with mostly softies will be a better home for it though. Between the small dimensions of my tank (18x18x18) and having the MP10 at full blast and WP10 at 75%, you can imagine the amount if havoc it was wreaking.
Mr. Microscope

For a lower light coral have you thought about any softies like zoas or mushies?

Thank you for the suggestion!

I've got a nice open area for something with some height to it (sub-softball size), but not a lot of room to spread out on the rocks. So, I'm avoiding anything low-lying or encrusting. Also, zoas and mushrooms don't do very well in my tank. Got any other suggestions?

• Like 2

That coral looks like a Poci to me.

I agree, definitely looks more like pocci then any stylo I've ever seen.

I've got a nice open area for something with some height to it (sub-softball size), but not a lot of room to spread out on the rocks. So, I'm avoiding anything low-lying or encrusting. Also, zoas and mushrooms don't do very well in my tank. Got any other suggestions?

Blasto welsi :)

• Like 1

Small neon green leather, but you'll have to prune it, a branching monti, gorg, "deepwater" sps, heliopora, pavona, pagoda cup, etc

What about NPS? Fat head Dendro?

Good one.

Another good one.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

What about NPS? Fat head Dendro?

Good thought! I've been wanting to try one of those or a sun coral, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go the NPS rout yet.

I do like blastos.

Small neon green leather, but you'll have to prune it, a branching monti, gorg, "deepwater" sps, heliopora, pavona, pagoda cup, etc

Good one.

Another good one.

I love those green toadstools! Really been wanting to do one and that would be a perfect spot for it. I'm hesitant about the chemical warfare that may ensue though.

Pavona!!! Yes! I forgot about that. It's been in the back of my head for a while as something I've really wanted and that's the perfect spot for it. Specifically, the ORA Mint. I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a growout frag from Unique Corals several times. Okay. That settles it. Thank you thank you for your suggestion.

I'm on the hunt!

1andhalfinch-ora-mint-pavona-38-inventor

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Stable alk is awesome. Nice PE on Joe the coral.

Thank you Kat! I'm excited to see how things look in a few months from stable alk. Thinking about doing another growth gif or two.

I love that Joe! :)

Any suggestion on what to do with my third dosing pump?